PTI Predicts Sox WS Chances

Southside hitmen

Today on PTI, Tony and Michael gave what they thought the chances of the Chicago White Sox winning the world series were.

Tony cracked a joke and Wilbon chastised him for putting midwest

teams down! Both think Sox will have best record in baseball.

Wilbon said, "Sox 10% chance to win WS."

Tony said, "Sox 20% chance to win WS."

They brought up 2004 Mariners who had most wins and failed to win.

I'm not writing this to heckle, perhaps for response.

Isn't Wilbon from Chi-town?

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
10% or 20% isn't bad, considering that before the season it was 3%.  I didn't see how they said it, because actually those sound like great odds considering everything.

It wasn't really a compliment. They did say we'd have the best record in the AL when it's all said and done, but they compared us to the 2001 Mariners. They both said we have no playoff experience, like them, and that will hurt us. I think they're both saying we'll go nowhere in the playoffs, but I'm picky about anything anyone on ESPN says.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
It wasn't really a compliment.  They did say we'd have the best record in the AL when it's all said and done, but they compared us to the 2001 Mariners.  They both said we have no playoff experience, like them, and that will hurt us.  I think they're both saying we'll go nowhere in the playoffs, but I'm picky about anything anyone on ESPN says.

if I was on ESPN, I'd probably be comparing this Sox team to the 01 Mariners too, and Wilbon and Kornheiser generally know what they're talking about.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
It wasn't really a compliment.  They did say we'd have the best record in the AL when it's all said and done, but they compared us to the 2001 Mariners.  They both said we have no playoff experience, like them, and that will hurt us.  I think they're both saying we'll go nowhere in the playoffs, but I'm picky about anything anyone on ESPN says.

Aside from Pudge, the Florida Marlins didn't have jack in terms of playoff experience in 2003 either. The guys who won it for them were their pitchers - Beckett has seen a few less playoff games than say, Mariano Rivera, and yet they still pulled it out.

You know what it may very well come down to? 3 things; how healthy is our pitching staff come October, how hot is our bullpen, and who is hitting. If only 2 guys hit in the playoffs, we won't have a shot. If one or two of our starting pitchers are hurt or worn down, we'll be in bad shape. If the guys in our bullpen who are on fire start to break down, then we'll be in deep dog doo.

On the other hand...aside from Oakland, who exactly out there is it who you'd say can beat us in the playoffs? We've gone to both Baltimore and Anaheim and split series in their parks. We haven't played Boston or New York yet, but we've also beaten up on a few teams in the NL and successfully played NL style ball.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
Aside from Pudge, the Florida Marlins didn't have jack in terms of playoff experience in 2003 either.  The guys who won it for them were their pitchers - Beckett has seen a few less playoff games than say, Mariano Rivera, and yet they still pulled it out.

You know what it may very well come down to?  3 things; how healthy is our pitching staff come October, how hot is our bullpen, and who is hitting.  If only 2 guys hit in the playoffs, we won't have a shot.  If one or two of our starting pitchers are hurt or worn down, we'll be in bad shape.  If the guys in our bullpen who are on fire start to break down, then we'll be in deep dog doo.

On the other hand...aside from Oakland, who exactly out there is it who you'd say can beat us in the playoffs?  We've gone to both Baltimore and Anaheim and split series in their parks. We haven't played Boston or New York yet, but we've also beaten up on a few teams in the NL and successfully played NL style ball.

We haven't gone to Baltimore yet. We split a series at the Cell.

I had a buddy of mine make my annual crap-away-$50 bet in vegas and put some money on the sox. unfortunately, he didn't make it out there until mid-May. I got the Sox at +800 (8:1) to win the series and +400 to win the AL pennant. That's a pretty short price for a team no one gave a snowball's chance of winning the AL central before the season started.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
This isn't a WS-caliber team yet. They're right.

Kenny Williams needs to make it one.

Bull. Right now this really is the best team in baseball it just seems people even here didn't expect them to do this so some of you guys just aren't sure. That's perfectly fine but as of right now there is not a more complete team in major league baseball then the Chicago White Sox. Obviously I'm not saying they're for sure going to win the world series but they are the best team out there right now, no doubt about that in my mind.