Hawkeye Football....

I know there's a lot of you Big 10ers around here.

Do some of you feel Iowa has a shot to win the Big Ten? I hear everyday theat they'll go undefeated, but it seems they have four games they have to deal with, and I don't see them sweeping all four.

vs. Ball State

@ Iowa State

vs. Northern iowa

at Ohio State

vs. Illinois

@ Purdue

vs. Indiana

vs. Michigan

@ Northwestern

@ Wisconsin

vs. Minnesota

I see the ISU, OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin games as being the toughest challenges. I just have a tough time fathoming that they'll win all four, especially as they seem to start slow. Hell, the NU game will be tough too.

If Iowa heads into those final 4 games undefeated they will get severly tested. None of those teams are push overs, add the fact that they would be playing to knock off an undefeated and you have Iowa with a loss or 2 or 3.

I definitely don't see Iowa going undefeated, and I don't think they'll win the Big Ten either. The games against Michigan and at OSU and Purdue are all very tough games. I personally think that Michigan is the best of the group. Their offense is in great shape, and their D still has a decent number of playmakers. Iowa has some good players, but they need to replace their entire D-line and really need to find a RB. Purdue also may be a sleeper. They return all of a pretty good defense and most of their offense, plus they don't play Michigan or Ohio State.

Purdue won't be much of anything. Brandon Kirsch is an alright QB, but he isn't like Kyle Orton when healthy. Plus they lost Taylor Stubblefield. I honestly don't see them winning more than 6 games. I think Iowa has a chance to run the table in the Big Ten. They have boatloads of talent and their schedule isn't too tough. If they get past OSU and Michigan, they'll be fine.

I just finished up my degree at Ball State and after having watched four years of that poor excuse for a D-1 team I can tell you one thing about Iowa's year. They will beat Ball State by over 50 points. The only way I would take Ball State in a betting situation in this game would be if someone gave me Ball State plus 62 points.

I think Iowa has a great chance to win the Big Ten this year but for some reason I think they will finish second to Michigan.

Sleeper of the Big Ten: Wisconsin they are allways decent no matter who they loose.

:sweep: Sox take three in Detroit this week

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Purdue won't be much of anything. Brandon Kirsch is an alright QB, but he isn't like Kyle Orton when healthy. Plus they lost Taylor Stubblefield. I honestly don't see them winning more than 6 games. I think Iowa has a chance to run the table in the Big Ten. They have boatloads of talent and their schedule isn't too tough. If they get past OSU and Michigan, they'll be fine.

Orton absolutely fell apart in the second half of the season. I think you overestimate how much he was really worth. Kirsch is a decent option at quarterback. Stubblefield will hurt, but they have other receivers. Their defense is going to help them a lot this year. They return every starter from a unit that allowed only 17.2 points per game. Their schedule is so easy that it's hard to imagine them losing more than 3 games. Look at this schedule:

Akron

at Arizona

at Minnesota

Notre Dame

Iowa

Northwestern

at Wisconsin

at Penn State

Michigan State

Illinois

at Indiana

Just for fun, my rankings for the Big Ten this year (I'm sure this will come up again, but oh well). There's a major drop off after the top 4.

Michigan

Ohio State

Purdue

Iowa

Penn State

MSU

Minnesota

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Illinois

Indiana

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Its really just to early to comment.

Injuries play a huge role in how teams develop, and the team that can stay the healthiest at the key positions, usually do the best.

That being said, I think there are 4 teams: Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, OSU, who are ahead of the pack. Purdue, Michigan State, and Penn State are just to up and down.

And Wisconsin is way under rated again, Calhoun will be good, they are returning most of the WR core, and well eventhough Stocco is not great, when you have Calhoun and Bernstien you do not need a great qb.

Also Wisconsin has perhaps the easiest schedule: Iowa, Michigan, Purdue at home, no OSU.

Toughest away game's are at Minn and PSU (maybe UNC).

Pretty much a recipe for the Rose Bowl, all they have to do is go 2-1 at home verse the the top 3, and win out the rest.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Its really just to early to comment.

Injuries play a huge role in how teams develop, and the team that can stay the healthiest at the key positions, usually do the best.

That being said, I think there are 4 teams: Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, OSU, who are ahead of the pack. Purdue, Michigan State, and Penn State are just to up and down.

And Wisconsin is way under rated again, Calhoun will be good, they are returning most of the WR core, and well eventhough Stocco is not great, when you have Calhoun and Bernstien you do not need a great qb.

Also Wisconsin has perhaps the easiest schedule: Iowa, Michigan, Purdue at home, no OSU.

Toughest away game's are at Minn and PSU (maybe UNC).

Pretty much a recipe for the Rose Bowl, all they have to do is go 2-1 at home verse the the top 3, and win out the rest.

SB

I don't buy Wisconsin at all. I know people have biases (me with NU), but they are replacing an awful lot of people. Their D just won't be the same without their D-line, the secondary is pretty unsettled, and Stocco is not good at all. Calhoun will have to be an absolute stud behind a line with 3 new starters for them to do anything.

If I was a homer I would of said that purely on talent they would win the Big 10. Being realistic I said that it is their schedule that will give them the best chance.

I do not really think there is much concern about the OL, as they have Raiola and Thomas returning, plus they always have outstanding lineman waiting in the wings. The DL should be good, Beckum will probably redshirt, and the reality is only Erasmus James was that dominant last year, and hopefully Cooper can come in and fill that role. LB's should only get better as they will have another year under their belt.

The biggest concern is going to be DB's, but outside of Stark and Leanord, our DB's were terrible last year. Also PK will be a woe as usual.

Stocco is not great, but he is not that bad either. His job is to take care of the ball, if he can lower his turnover's he will be a very effective starter.

Another concern will be whether or not Calhoun can carry the load, and whether Walker can be an effective back up if Stanley is gone for the year.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger