Sox hating ESPN

BigSqwert

Dontrelle gets the MLB front page on ESPN.com for his 12th win and an article about him. Garland, who was the first to 12 wins, had a side note article earlier this week.

Another example of the downplay of the Sox.

Hey ESPN.... :finger

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sti3 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Who's a more charismatic figure?  Who strikes out more guys in a flashier way?  Who's had a better career so far?

That doesn't mean s***. Willis didn;t do much last year. This is both of their's break-out years. Yeah, Willis had a great rookie year to but it was quicky forgotten after last-years debacle.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
That doesn't mean s***. Willis didn;t do much last year. This is both of their's break-out years. Yeah, Willis had a great rookie year to but it was quicky forgotten after last-years debacle.

Since when the f*** is poting an ERA just a shave over 4 a debacle?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
MOTHER f***ERS DIDN'T EVEN HAVE SOX HIGHLIGHTS ON SPORTCENTER LAST NIGHT

Too obvious for green???

Buuuuuuuuut, ijust in case, Sox were off last night. ;) :D

They are still upset after losing the radio contract. No that's not it. Are there more Marlin fans in the nation than there are White Sox fans? Maybe. After all they have 2 World Championships in the last decade. They were underdogs in both years & it brought mega ratings.

Of course that's very short-sighted. Baby-face Jon is a poster boy player. If FOX were in the same shoes as ESPN MLB-wise Jon would never be left alone.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Dontrelle gets the MLB front page on ESPN.com for his 12th win and an article about him.  Garland, who was the first to 12 wins, had a side note article earlier this week.

Another example of the downplay of the Sox.

Hey ESPN.... :finger

BigSqwert wins my contest for first one to post a ESPN rant for the day......NICE JOB!

Fact is if you want to sell a magazine or a website, whom do you put on the cover? Besides Willis' ERA is half of Garland's.

Yes ESPN hates on the Sox but this IMO is not a glaring example. Why even read them anyway. Better info to be had on the local papers and better opinion on the blogs.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
They are still upset after losing the radio contract.  No that's not it. Are there more Marlin fans in the nation than there are White Sox fans?  Maybe.  After all they have 2 World Championships in the last decade.  They were underdogs in both years & it brought mega ratings.

If they have more fans than us then surely their fans are not in the Miami area. Every time I see highlights of one of their home games it looks like Olympic in Montreal. Anybody know what their attendance is so far this year, or where you can access that info?

QUOTE(sti3 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
Fact is if you want to sell a magazine or a website, whom do you put on the cover?  Besides Willis' ERA is half of Garland's.

Willis also pitches in the national league, where he gets the benefit of not having to face any DHs and gets a nearly automatic out 1 time per order in the pitcher's slot. That knocks roughly 1 run off of a person's ERA.

Ah-HA!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the piece I was looking for about how a person's ERA usually changes when they swap leagues. From CNNSI

Going from the AL to the NL on average causes a pitcher's ERA to drop by .95 runs. Going from the NL from the AL on average causes a pitcher's ERA to go up by .93 runs.

I say that from now on...if you're going to compare ERA's between leagues, a "National League ERA adjustment" of .94 should be added to the numbers for the NL pitcher, or subtracted from the AL pitcher.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Who's a more charismatic figure?  Who strikes out more guys in a flashier way?  Who's had a better career so far?

Who is in a major market? On a first place, best record in baseball, team?

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
If they have more fans than us then surely their fans are not in the Miami area. Every time I see highlights of one of their home games it looks like Olympic in Montreal. Anybody know what their attendance is so far this year, or where you can access that info?

Here's 2005 MLB attendance figs:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Marlins rank 27th, ahead of only Cleveland, KC, and The Rays.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Here's 2005 MLB attendance figs:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Marlins rank 27th, ahead of only Cleveland, KC, and The Rays.

I thought so. Thanks for the info. So this is just more evidence that we're not even an afterthought with the sports elite. Screw it and screw them. Just keep on winning. Again thanks FlaSoxxJim.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
See, they all stay home and read ESPN The Magazine  ;)

I say THE HELL with ESPN and other experts who are so quick to belittle our beloved White Sox team.

Let's win the World Series this year to shut them up!

You know, as I look around the entire major league, I haven't seen one team that really can beat us in a 7-game series! That is exciting!!!

:bringit :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
After looking at that, we are 1 behind Minnesota...that is due to change in the next 3 days.

If the Sox average 39K a game, they will go over 1 million fans this weekend, and their average will jump to 25,718, virtually identical to the Twins attendance average of 25,720

Upon further review of those attendance stats, we're now above 60% of capacity and that is sure to improve, no matter how the team does the rest of the year. We're making steady progress, but people cling to old and outdated stereotypes. On other notes, Cleveland has fallen off a cliff haven't they? It wasn't that long ago when they had a gazillion or so straight sell outs. How long can the Devil Rays keep up the charade that they are a major league team?. Some minor league teams probably outdraw them. OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Didn't mean to hijack this.