Sox hating ESPN

BigSqwert

you know what else is funny, the other day they had a poll about which Division leader is most likely to not win their division... They didnt even list the Cardinals in the poll and the results were something like

Orioles 33.0%

Nationals 31.0%

White Sox 18.0%

Padres 7.1%

Angels 1.1%

It was something like that, no Cardinals though..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
If the Sox average 39K a game, they will go over 1 million fans this weekend, and their average will jump to 25,718, virtually identical to the Twins attendance average of 25,720

Remember when that guy called you a dick..... :lol:

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Upon further review of those attendance stats, we're now above 60% of capacity and that is sure to improve, no matter how the team does the rest of the year. We're making steady progress, but people cling to old and outdated stereotypes. On other notes, Cleveland has fallen off a cliff haven't they? It wasn't that long ago when they had a gazillion or so straight sell outs.  How long can the Devil Rays keep up the charade that they are a major league team?. Some minor league teams probably outdraw them. OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Didn't mean to hijack this.

The Devil Rays are basically the 2nd most profitable team in baseball.

We're really sure to improve, because not only do we have the Cubs series, we have multiple series with Minnesota, We're probably going to see the return of Ordonez to the Cell at some point this year, and we have yet to host either the Yankees or the Red Sox.

BTW, ESPN loves the Sox. How can they not love the 2004 WS Winners who ended the Curse of the Bambino?

Remember when refering to the "Sox" it always means the Red Sox. Duh, you will never make it as a national sports announcer. :angry:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
The Devil Rays are basically the 2nd most profitable team in baseball.

I'm not aware of how much each team is making or losing. If what you say is correct then Devil Ray fans have no hope. Why the hell would Naimoli and his new partner (can't remember his name) spent any dough to build a ball club if as you say they are the second most profitable? I know Steinbrenner said that the have nots of baseball would not take their luxury tax money and spend it on player development and it seems he was right. Kevin McClatchy of Pittsburgh has been criticized for using it to prop up his bottom line. I think this is #500 for me. That's a lot less than some people here but how bout a small prize? A sucker or a hershey bar maybe? :D

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
I'm not aware of how much each team is making or losing. If what you say is correct then Devil Ray fans have no hope. Why the hell would Naimoli and his new partner (can't remember his name) spent any dough to build a ball club if as you say they are the second most profitable? I know Steinbrenner said that the have nots of baseball would not take their luxury tax money and spend it on player development and it seems he was right. Kevin McClatchy of Pittsburgh has been criticized for using it to prop up his bottom line. I think this is #500 for me. That's a lot less than some people here but how bout a small prize? A sucker or a hershey bar maybe?  :D

all of this because dontrelle willis got some pub on ESPNfreaking.com. people, let it go. it's not worth it. step away from the keyboard.

the publicity isnt important. actually this may be good...it wont get the guys on the Sox too cocky with their performances and it may drive them to do better. They know they are good but let the publicity come when we get to the WS. f*** ESPN..dont worry about them Just worry about your SOX :gosox3:

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
I'm not aware of how much each team is making or losing. If what you say is correct then Devil Ray fans have no hope. Why the hell would Naimoli and his new partner (can't remember his name) spent any dough to build a ball club if as you say they are the second most profitable? I know Steinbrenner said that the have nots of baseball would not take their luxury tax money and spend it on player development and it seems he was right. Kevin McClatchy of Pittsburgh has been criticized for using it to prop up his bottom line. I think this is #500 for me. That's a lot less than some people here but how bout a small prize? A sucker or a hershey bar maybe?  :D

:cheers Yossarian for Pres of the Quality over Quantity Club

Not sure why attendance is an issue, we still have 10 of our 11 traditional big attendance games left to play and those are looking like they'll be sellouts or near sellouts. We also have a 4th of July game this yr which has always been a sellout/near sellout and Elvis night that for whatever reason is always a near sellout. Add to it 2 big series with the twinks which will avg around 36-37k per, a big weekend series with the A's going into AS break with 2 fireworks nights and a kids day that'll have a min of 34k per and finally a 4 game Tribe series in Sept that each one could be the clincher(and thus will soon start to get big pre-sales for). That's 25 games or almost a third of our games that we'll still end up averaging around 36-37k for. Add to that partial season ticket sales by people and scalpers wanting to lineup postseason tickets(and thus filling out some of the other games) and we're looking at a season avg of just under 30k or about 2.45 mil(that's a 500k increase). Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if we end up with more.

When considering ESPN the Magazine you have to look at road attendance.

It's a national magazine after all.

Marlins #4 33,678/gm vs White Sox #24 26,955/gm

Though we are 4.5 gms up on STL they have a better RBI differential than us in both RON & CL&L sits. I think you could make the argument they are a better team than our White Sox but lady luck is on our side this year.

Hopefully the White Sox home attendance will weaken the upper deck theory. I'm curious as to what the fans sitting up there on a regular basis think of it now. Can we get past the steep slope so that next year we can avg 30K+/gm? I don't think it will take winning a WS to get there. We just have to win the ALCS.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)

You get nothing! :D :headbang :gosox3:

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
This has to be one of the dumbest examples in some time. White Sox were off last night. Dontrelle has had the better career if you want to admit it or not. He's always K'd more people and he has the "sexy" pitch delivery. Quit cryin' little b****es.

Wow....ease of that Prozac killer!

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)

Though we are 4.5 gms up on STL they have a better RBI differential than us in both RON & CL&L sits.  I think you could make the argument they are a better team than our White Sox but lady luck is on our side this year.

Hopefully the White Sox home attendance will weaken the upper deck theory.  I'm curious as to what the fans sitting up there on a regular basis think of it now.  Can we get past the steep slope so that next year we can avg 30K+/gm?  I don't think it will take winning a WS to get there.  We just have to win the ALCS.

Pittsburgh 32,068/gm vs St Louis 28,080/gm.

I take it by your analysis that the Pirates will be gracing the cover tommorrow. It's a national magazine after all.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
MOTHER f***ERS DIDN'T EVEN HAVE SOX HIGHLIGHTS ON SPORTCENTER LAST NIGHT

Ummm...... the Sox didn't play yesterday.

and Jon was on the front page of ESPN.com a couple of times now when he's gotten wins. Chill people.

Willis is one of the most charismatic players in baseball.

They are trying to sell magazines, not trying to be expert analysts.

Not sure why people can not get that ESPN, SI, etc are businesses. And you make more money appealing to a wider audience. If the White Sox win a WS, the next few years they will get more publicity.

Its just how it works.

SB

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
Ummm...... the Sox didn't play yesterday.

and Jon was on the front page of ESPN.com a couple of times now when he's gotten wins.  Chill people.

Newbies..... :headshake :lol:

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)

road attendence is so dumb.... the only team it can really apply for our yankees, boston, and cubs since they actually draw crowds when they travel... other than that its a crap shoot because a course a team like toronto or baltimore are going to have a better road attendence since they face the yankees and red sox 9 times each while we face the royals/detroit/cleveland/minny all 9 times each and none of them are big attendence drawers.

Still #4 vs #26 on the road is a significant difference. 2005 wouldn't figure in this decision but 2004 would. the gap was probably wider with the 2003 World Champions touring the NL in 2004.

I agree Willis is a pretty charismatic player. Likewise he's an MVP candidate on the Marlins whereas Garland is probably #2 behind Mark.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Dontrelle gets the MLB front page on ESPN.com for his 12th win and an article about him.  Garland, who was the first to 12 wins, had a side note article earlier this week.

Another example of the downplay of the Sox.

Hey ESPN.... :finger

49-22 = end of argument.