The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

Couldn't that be MORE reason why he could get dealt??

Sure Tony, you are right, that's one way to look at it. I guess I was looking at it from the perspective of the Sox needing two very good lefties in the pen ... Cotts and whomever if it isn't Marte.

Marte has been frustrating this year but if he gets traded we can sure as hell bet that the Sox will have to bring in someone comparable.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beane has told everyone who calls that he will not trade Barry Zito during the season, as he believes that with Rich Harden, Dan Haren, Joe Blanton and Kirk Saarloos and Huston Street at the end, the A's could have a big second half.

Beane will trade Mark Kotsay to the Cubs or the Yankees in the right deal if a contract extension doesn't get done with Kotsay; Nick Swisher could play center field, Daric Barton (batting .470 since May 1 in the Class A California League at age 19) has convinced the A's people he can play the outfield, this year's No. 1 pick Cliff Pennington, a shortstop, is going to come fast and Andre Ethier could be in the Oakland outfield by midseason 2006. Two prime prospects might give Oakland another five-year run, especially if left-handed pitcher Dan Meyer's shoulder comes around.

"Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them I'm not trading Zito," says Beane.

Hey, J.P. Ricciardi has the same deal. When, for instance, the Phillies called about a Ryan Howard-Ted Lilly deal, Ricciardi said he won't trade Lilly. Still, stories keep cropping up. "I'm not trading Lilly," says the Blue Jays GM. "He's signed through next year to a reasonable contract, he's a starting pitcher and we're trying to build a winning atmosphere for the kids like Aaron Hill and Russ Adams, who are winning players who need to be playing in a winning atmosphere."

Gammons

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)

i actually dont think lilly will be traded either, unless toronto gets something that will knock their socks off. they are a .500 team now, not the time to sell an allstar from last year who is young cheap and pretty good. schmidt and zito on the other hands are both available, i dont care what sabean and beane say...they would both be dumb not to listen to and consider offers.

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
Jason Jennings, Rockies 

Jason Schmidt, Giants

Noooooooooo Rockies' starters. We're looking to win now, and those pitchers always take a while to be good again. Besides, none of them are really that good.

Jason Schmidt....hell yeah.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Noooooooooo Rockies' starters.  We're looking to win now, and those pitchers always take a while to be good again.  Besides, none of them are really that good.

Jason Schmidt....hell yeah.

Agreed 100%. Any pitcher who pitches up their for a while, seems to take at least a year to get back to normal. That thin air just seems to take the endurance and sharpness out of pitchers.

I think if your gonna trade for someone like Lilly with era like 6, you might as well just have Mccarthy. Who i think with a few more starts and some more experince will be much better. Schimdt would be nice if he was healthy, but he will cost the sox some good prospects and a ton of cash.

QUOTE(go-sox05 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
I think if your gonna trade for someone like Lilly with era like 6, you might as well just have Mccarthy.  Who i think with a few more starts and some more experince will be much better. Schimdt would be nice if he was healthy, but he will cost the sox some good prospects and a ton of cash.

what ppl need to realize is that ted lilly is a pretty solid pitcher, and is way better than a 6 ERA. he had an awful first few starts, which boosted his ERA way up. if they traded for him while he has that 6 ERA they would be acquiring someone whose stock is higher than that 6 ERA. this guy was torontos all star last year, and ppl criticized billy beane when they traded lilly saying zito should have been traded instead. id take lilly for sure, but no hes not schmidt or burnett and hopefully wouldnt cost us too much

QUOTE(go-sox05 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
I think if your gonna trade for someone like Lilly with era like 6, you might as well just have Mccarthy.  Who i think with a few more starts and some more experince will be much better. Schimdt would be nice if he was healthy, but he will cost the sox some good prospects and a ton of cash.

Buy low, sell high :huh

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
i dont think there is anything definite but on foxsports.com ken rosenthall says the orioles and another unidentified AL team have engaged in serious talks about burnett. there are 14 AL teams, you know the Os are one, you can cross off the royals, Ms, devil rays, As for sure. that makes 9 teams. it probably isnt toronto or the tigers. this is certainly not minnesota's type of move since they wont be able to sign burnett in the offseason. That leaves teh White sox, red sox, yankees, indians angels and rangers. the indians IMO can't make that deal, because since burnett is a FA, this has to be a deal for this year and this year only. given the needs, i would say the rangers, bosox yanks and chisox are the main possibilities. as far as im concerned, i believe its us, dangling mccarthy but i could be wrong. i also think its us because KW never likes to be mentioned about trades, and maybe thats why the name isnt given. also ozzie has the old florida connection and might be pushing for burnett.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3720056

Its probably the BoSox. With their offense facing a Schilling, AJ, Clement, Miller/Fatboy combo would be a tough draw in the playoffs. I hope we are not resting on this best record in baseball crap, because when we go into the playoffs all the records are wiped and we start over. Seattle didnt make it into the world series and they won more games that we will.

AJ would definately make a sick rotation in the playoffs.

Buerhle, Garcia, AJ, Garland would match up with anything out there.

We get that, maybe another stick who can play 1st and 3rd. And a lefty who can get lefties out in the pen and we would be good enough to battle for the WS.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Its probably the BoSox.  With their offense facing a Schilling, AJ, Clement, Miller/Fatboy combo would be a tough draw in the playoffs.   I hope we are not resting on this best record in baseball crap, because when we go into the playoffs all the records are wiped and we start over.  Seattle didnt make it into the world series and they won more games that we will. 

AJ would definately make a sick rotation in the playoffs. 

Buerhle, Garcia, AJ, Garland would match up with anything out there.   

We get that, maybe another stick who can play 1st and 3rd.  And a lefty who can get lefties out in the pen and we would be good enough to battle for the WS.

Then we would have two AJ's, you can't have two AJ's on the same team.

Edited by sayitaintso

I would be absolutely shocked if the O's traded Cabrera.

The Marlins are still looking to win now so you can't go in there with a handful of prospects to deal. They may have interest in Carl as that LH OFer or they may be willing to take an Anderson if you also threw in Timo with him. I'm sure they'd ask for Marte or Cotts but it would have to be Viz or Shingo. KW could also bring in a 3rd team to supply the OFer.

Lilly has given up 4 or more runs in 9 of his 15 starts this season, that's a loser with our O.

Moyer has given up 3 or less runs in 10 of his 14 starts this yr, that's a winner with our team.

Guardado has had the partial tear all yr and yet is still 19 of 21 in saves with a 1.67 era, yes he's a risk but you could go with a dual closer role for him and Hermy and keep them both under 30 IP the rest of the season while bringing in a sub 2 pitcher almost every 9th and have them both fresh for the playoffs.

If we're gonna give up B-Mac and one of our top two OF'ers (Sweeney or Anderson), we might as well be looking at getting Chavez from the A's rather than Burnett. An everyday position player is going to help this team (in the long run) a whole lot more than a guy who pitches every fifth day. Not trying to take anything away from Burnett, but if you're giving up two of your top prospects, go the extra mile and do what it takes to get Chavez.

I bet that in 3 weeks, any talk of the Marlins dealing people will have subsided. Baseball is a game of streaks and everyone here knows it...the Marlins aren't that far behind in that division, the Nationals have been hot, the Phillies have cooled off, the Marlins started the season on fire and cooled off...they're due to make another run sometime soon, and then they'll be right back near the top of that division.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
VAfan, did you happen to catch any of last year's playoffs?  Lidge would come in and nail the game down in the 7th inning.  he's given up a few more runs and hits than he normally would, but he's struck out 52 in 33 innings.  put him on a winning team (as he was last year), and he won't let you down.

It is a fair criticism, as I don't watch any NL games, and didn't see the Astros playoff games last year. Earlier, I also looked at Billy Wagner in the same light and found the same kind of performances this year.

I'm not averse to adding bullpen help, but it has to be a quality guy at a reasonable price, and for the bullpen that means no top prospects.

But why are the Astros going to trade Lidge? He's not a free agent is he?

It is a fair criticism, as I don't watch any NL games, and didn't see the Astros playoff games last year.  Earlier, I also looked at Billy Wagner in the same light and found the same kind of performances this year.

I'm not averse to adding bullpen help, but it has to be a quality guy at a reasonable price, and for the bullpen that means no top prospects. 

But why are the Astros going to trade Lidge?  He's not a free agent is he?

The only reason I can figure is, they might want some quality OF prospects.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
If we're gonna give up B-Mac and one of our top two OF'ers (Sweeney or Anderson), we might as well be looking at getting Chavez from the A's rather than Burnett.  An everyday position player is going to help this team (in the long run) a whole lot more than a guy who pitches every fifth day.  Not trying to take anything away from Burnett, but if you're giving up two of your top prospects, go the extra mile and do what it takes to get Chavez.

It depends who the man is that is pitching every fifth day. In your head it doesn't make sense that someone who plays 30 games could contribute as much as someone who plays five times that amount, but I think they can.

For example, if we were to land Schmidt somehow, his value to this team might be greater than that of Chavez. They both had 19 win shares in 2004. But a quality pitcher might be a greater upgrade over injured Duque/swingman/? than Chavez would be over Crede.

What about Andy Pettitte? With his contract, the Astros can't demand much for him; it would enough for someone else to take him off their hands. Plus he has the postseason resume that could help us a lot, and he balances our top 4 guys, slotting perfectly between Garcia and Garland. He seems like a much better choice than a mediocre pitcher like Ted Lilly. Maybe the Astros would take Jose Contreras for him straight up? At least they'd be getting a healthy pitcher.

Should Pettitte's health problems concern me?

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
What about Andy Pettitte?  With his contract, the Astros can't demand much for him; it would enough for someone else to take him off their hands.  Plus he has the postseason resume that could help us a lot, and he balances our top 4 guys, slotting perfectly between Garcia and Garland.  He seems like a much better choice than a mediocre pitcher like Ted Lilly.  Maybe the Astros would take Jose Contreras for him straight up?  At least they'd be getting a healthy pitcher. 

Should Pettitte's health problems concern me?

Pettitte and Contreras make exactly the same amount of money. I doubt that trade would seem good to them.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
It depends who the man is that is pitching every fifth day.  In your head it doesn't make sense that someone who plays 30 games could contribute as much as someone who plays five times that amount, but I think they can. 

For example, if we were to land Schmidt somehow, his value to this team might be greater than that of Chavez.  They both had 19 win shares in 2004.  But a quality pitcher might be a greater upgrade over injured Duque/swingman/? than Chavez would be over Crede.

Good point, I wasn't really thinking about it like that.

I'd think about Schmidt vs. Chavez, but Chavez vs. Burnett is no comparison IMO. Burnett's only pitched above 200 innings once in his career, and is a career ERA+ of 109. A half season of Burnett, to me, is not worth five years of Brandon McCarthy + five years of Ryan Sweeney.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Good point, I wasn't really thinking about it like that.

I'd think about Schmidt vs. Chavez, but Chavez vs. Burnett is no comparison IMO.  Burnett's only pitched above 200 innings once in his career, and is a career ERA+ of 109.  A half season of Burnett, to me, is not worth five years of Brandon McCarthy + five years of Ryan Sweeney.

Yeah if we're just talking Burnett here, then I agree wholeheartedly with you.

The Astros may not be in contention this year, but they have a nucleus of guys that they can build around who I really doubt they'll be trading.

Oswalt, Lidge, Petitte...I figure those names will come up since the Astros are out of the race, but given their contract status, I find it difficult to believe that any of them will move for anything but an outrageous deal.

I like the idea of trading for Burnett. The reason he's gone 200IP only once is because of that major arm injury he had when he started coming on. He has electric stuff and when he's on, no one can touch him. He'd be my first choice for a SP honestly.

Second option is none other than Javier Vazquez. He's a great pitcher and is showing that he probably was tired in the 2nd half of the season last year with the Yankees. Has overpowering stuff. You could probably get away with just trading BMac and a low level prospect for him also because of his salary and Arizona having the need for lower priced guys.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3720056

The Yankees could get involved for Burnett if they were willing to trade setup man Tom Gordon and right-hander Chien-Ming Wang, but that move could do more harm than good. The Tigers have had past interest in Burnett. The Rangers need an ace for the present and future. The Angels, White Sox and Twins are not believed to be currently interested.

:crying :crying :crying

Edited by Jabroni

Starting tonight, Houston has 3 games vs Col. and and then 4 vs CIN. If they can't do better than 4-3 against these two cellar dwellars, they should pack it in and start the sell off. I can't believe some of these teams think they're still in it [probably just PR talk to keep fans coming to games in the summer months

I'd live to see Lidge on the sox but it probably has a 5% chance of happening.