The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 07:46 AM)
the idea of contreras starting in the postseason makes my head hurt.

not me. the idea of any white sox pitcher starting in the playoffs makes my head feel good

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 06:35 AM)
This may be down right silly but what if the Sox were to trade Garland for Schimdt/package? Yes I know Garland has been hot as hell this season but thats partly the reason why. His trade value has probably never been this high and may never again be, plus IIRC isn't Garland a FA after this season? Maybe the Sox may think to try and resign again or that they may not even be able to do so....I am not saying I would be for this, I would rather it be El Duque or Contreras to go but does anyone really think SF or anyone else for that matter would want either of those guys??

We've been waiting for this from Garland for 4 years and now you want to trade him? No thanks.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 05:26 AM)
Contreras will earn $8 million next season.  I'm sure the Giants would rather just keep Schmidt for $10 million than pay Contreras $8 million.

Actually its 6 mill. The yanks gave us money to offset his deal. We could float that back to SF.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
Umm... what exactly is the problem with Uribe?  I realize he's been bad this season, but you're not gonna find many SS's who are better defensively than Uribe.  Plus, Morse might eventually have to move to 3B.  I'd take Uribe over Morse every day of the week, I don't know exactly what you're getting at there.  I believe he makes something between $3-5 million bucks (through his extension) in the next couple of years, he's one of the last ones this team who's hurting us.

And, for those who suggested Jamie Moyer?  Uhh -- no.

A .276 OBP (and .657 OPS) is what is wrong with Juan Uribe. That puts him down there with Christian Guzman. Uribe has had one good hitting year in his career, last year. Every other year his OBP is below .300, even when he was in Colorado. He is worse than Joe Crede, frankly.

As I argued above, if we trade for Schmidt, then we should also swap Uribe for Omar Vizquel, who gets on at a .357 clip, has more speed, is a switch hitter, and whose defense is as good as Uribe's. Plus Omar has playoff and World Series experience. He's a better #2 hitter when Iguchi is rested, and a better #1 when Pods is rested. Otherwise, he would look very good at the bottom of the lineup starting or continuing rallies.

If SF will take Contreras and Uribe for Schmidt and Vizquel, we would have slotted two better players without messing up our salary structure. For that, I'd be fine giving up Brian Anderson, Ross Gload, and a lower prospect (or maybe their choice of Takatsu or Vizquel). Anderson and Gload would both fit the Giants' needs as they are major league ready, but both are blocked here, especially if KW wants to re-sign Konerko.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
According to the SF Chronicle, there were White Sox scouts watching Schmidt last night. Oriole scouts also. Looks like KW is aiming high.

This is from a Giants board.

In the second inning, according to the FSN gun:

93 93 94 78 94 94 95 94

Looks like it's coming back.

According to the SF Chronicle, there were White Sox scouts watching Schmidt last night. Oriole scouts also. Looks like KW is aiming high.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGKVDFOMO1.DTL

Under the gaze of scouts from the White Sox and Orioles, among other teams that might want to pry him loose from San Francisco, Schmidt was not dominating, but he scrambled well, making big pitches at opportune times. The biggest came in the fifth, when he struck out Luis Terrero with the bases loaded for the third out.

f***ING SWEET!!!

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
Hm, why do i care about the payroll? Well if we start trading for guys that are in their late thirties with 3 years on their contract we have a problem. Omar vizquel is not putting this team, the chicago white sox, over the top. The sox would not think of trading for vizquel is 345 and two thirds of a years because right when he was offered the third year by the giants we waived good bye to him. The third year was the deal breaker. Do you think vizquel would come in and lead-off or bat third? He would end up at the bottom of the line-up just like uribe. Uribe is just as good as vizquel is defensively if not better. It is not worth the prospects it takes to get him along with the two years 6+ million left on his contract.

The reason i asked if your gonna pay for his salary is because the white sox won't be.

I've advocated a trade for Schmidt and Vizquel with the Sox giving up Contreras, Uribe, Anderson, Gload, and a lower prospect (or their choice of Takatsu/Vizcaino). (The Giants might take this because they want major league ready guys.) That wouldn't cost us more than a couple million more than we are paying Contreras/Uribe, but would be a definite improvement in our postseason chances. Vizquel is a .357 OBP guy. Uribe is at .276. That's like having a .300 hitter v. a .220 hitter in the lineup. The .357 guy makes a lot fewer outs. Given our offense, that would help a lot at the bottom of the order. Plus Vizquel is a switch hitter for a lineup bereft of lefties, has more speed than Uribe, and is basically his equal defensively. Both are signed for 3 years.

I'm willing to give up Anderson, Gload, and a bullpen pitcher to make the deal, because none of those guys are going to make a major impact this year or next. (I can't see us going into 2006 with Ross Gload as our starting 1B.)

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
I've advocated a trade for Schmidt and Vizquel with the Sox giving up Contreras, Uribe, Anderson, Gload, and a lower prospect (or their choice of Takatsu/Vizcaino).  (The Giants might take this because they want major league ready guys.)  That wouldn't cost us more than a couple million more than we are paying Contreras/Uribe, but would be a definite improvement in our postseason chances.  Vizquel is a .357 OBP guy.  Uribe is at .276.  That's like having a .300 hitter v. a .220 hitter in the lineup.  The .357 guy makes a lot fewer outs.  Given our offense, that would help a lot at the bottom of the order.  Plus Vizquel is a switch hitter for a lineup bereft of lefties, has more speed than Uribe, and is basically his equal defensively.  Both are signed for 3 years. 

I'm willing to give up Anderson, Gload, and a bullpen pitcher to make the deal, because none of those guys are going to make a major impact this year or next.  (I can't see us going into 2006 with Ross Gload as our starting 1B.)

The only thing that I'd argue with you here is trading Contreras. First off, that'll still leave us with a hole at the 5 spot (unless you think we can count on El Duque being healthy and McCarthy being ready). Also, why would the Giants want to take on Contreras's huge contract?

For some reason, I think if we were to pull off a trade for Schmidt, Damaso Marte would be included somewhere in there.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
I've advocated a trade for Schmidt and Vizquel with the Sox giving up Contreras, Uribe, Anderson, Gload, and a lower prospect (or their choice of Takatsu/Vizcaino).

Isn't the whole point of trading for Schmidt so that Schmidt can replace El Duque/McCarthy in the rotation? Doing this really doesn't affect this, right?

Remember, the Giants have light-hitting JT Snow at first in his last year. I actually think Ross Gload might have some value to them. And they could use bullpen help and outfielders, both of which we have an abundance of. Plus Contreras and Uribe fill the slots of the guys they would be giving up. I think it would be a good deal both ways.

I would not send BMac in the deal, however, because we should have learned from 2001-2004 that having 5 servicable starters is critical to winning in the regular season and getting to the playoffs. El Duque/BMac are doing okay covering the 5 hole.

Remember, the Giants have light-hitting JT Snow at first in his last year.  I actually think Ross Gload might have some value to them.  And they could use bullpen help and outfielders, both of which we have an abundance of.  Plus Contreras and Uribe fill the slots of the guys they would be giving up.  I think it would be a good deal both ways. 

I would not send BMac in the deal, however, because we should have learned from 2001-2004 that having 5 servicable starters is critical to winning in the regular season and getting to the playoffs.  El Duque/BMac are doing okay covering the 5 hole.

Come on, dude. Gload has no trade value. He's injured and he was pretty much a career minor leaguer before last year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
Would an Anderson/Marte/Tracey package get the deal done for Schmidt?

i hope so but i doubt it. i dont see the deal being done without mccarthy. SF will want a major league ready pitcher, and mccarthy is closer than tracey. what is interesting though is a few weeks ago KW said something about anderson saying that he was ready to play in the bigs, and would be there if not for a log jam in the OF already....such quotes could be statements to other teams hes trying to deal. same goes for baj or jenks, as KW has said they are ready to hit the bigs soon.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Would an Anderson/Marte/Tracey package get the deal done for Schmidt?

I actually think thats a good trade for both teams, although the Giants seem to be more interested in adding Major League help. Not sure if Anderson and Tracey qualify as MAJOR league help quite yet.

For me personally, I'm a bit iffy on trading Marte. I realize he isn't as consistant as he used to be, but he's still a quality lefty in the bullpen. I think KW would only trade him if he had a plan to replace him in a seperate trade.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
Bajenaru untouchable?  Heh, no.

in fact...when talking about jason schmidt, no minor leaguers are untouchable, as evidenced by the fact that BMac will be scouted by the giants tonight

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 29 @ 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Isn't the whole point of trading for Schmidt so that Schmidt can replace El Duque/McCarthy in the rotation?  Doing this really doesn't affect this, right?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Yep, I don't think people are understanding this. :headshake

I think the main reason for picking up Schmidt is to improve the starting pitching staff, with a strong vision of the playoffs. Playoff starters - Buehrle, Garcia, Garland and Schmidt, not necessarily in that order. If you have to give up Contreras, so be it. With the improvement of Schmidt over Contreras, Kenny probably would feel that a 5th starter combination of El Duque and McCarthy will be enough to get them to the playoffs.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Isn't the whole point of trading for Schmidt so that Schmidt can replace El Duque/McCarthy in the rotation?  Doing this really doesn't affect this, right?

Not necessarily. KW could be looking to get a pitcher than can win games in the playoffs. Contreras has shown he isn't a big game pitcher. KW knows this. Perhaps that's his thinking. I was listening the Mike North morning show and they were talking about how they think a SP will be included in a deal and whether they agree with it. I missed the intro so I dont know whether there is any basis to that or just chit-chat. Trading Contreras in a Schmidt deal could allow us to keep BMac. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Contreras was traded...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Come on, dude.  Gload has no trade value.  He's injured and he was pretty much a career minor leaguer before last year.

Granted, he's hurt, but Gload's numbers from last year project better than Snow's and he's the same kind of hitter. Plus, I'm not saying he's the key to the deal. If swapping Sweeney instead of Anderson, or Bajenaru instead of Takatsu/Vizcaino would make the deal, fine.

Remember, these are add ons to Contreras/Uribe who are both major league players.

I just see no deal for Schmidt or AJ Burnett or any other starter working unless the other team will take Contreras as part of it. We aren't going to have $45 million of a $70 million payroll tied up in 6 starters next year.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Where did you hear this tidbit?

maybe i assumed too much.... i was assuming that the following were true1.) what was said earlier in the thread about the SF flagship sayin the scouts were heading to detroit to scout the white sox, and 2.) that more than likely they would be watching mccarthy

Granted, he's hurt, but Gload's numbers from last year project better than Snow's and he's the same kind of hitter.  Plus, I'm not saying he's the key to the deal.  If swapping Sweeney instead of Anderson, or Bajenaru instead of Takatsu/Vizcaino would make the deal, fine.

Remember, these are add ons to Contreras/Uribe who are both major league players. 

I just see no deal for Schmidt or AJ Burnett or any other starter working unless the other team will take Contreras as part of it.  We aren't going to have $45 million of a $70 million payroll tied up in 6 starters next year.

It was only half a season worth of stats. That's not enough for Gload to have decent trade value.