The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
Because long - term in the majors Sweeney has the potential to be an all - star. I think Anderson will be a very good player, but he won't be a superstar. Sweeney has the chance to.

Sweeney has almost zero power at this point. I don't know how anyone can get from what they have both done at this point, that sweeney will be superior. Please inform me.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
I always see around here sweeney> anderson. Why is that, because he is younger? Anderson > sweeney in my opnion and it's not really that close.

This is just my opinion but I think Sweeney will be better but as of right now you're exactly right, Anderson is the better player.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
This is just my opinion but I think Sweeney will be better but as of right now you're exactly right, Anderson is the better player.

What makes you think Sweeney will be better, what have you seen from him to make you think this?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
"Top prospects may be on the move

Contending clubs might deal Minor stars for big-league talent"

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

How in the hell does Arnie Munoz have any trade value? :huh

Arnie has some trade value because he still has a chance to be a valuable bullpen arm in the near future and as far as untouchables go, I guarantee we have none at the minor league leve, including bmac.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
What makes you think Sweeney will be better, what have you seen from him to make you think this?

Well there is a couple of things: Obviously right now Ryan has displayed no power but I think within the next year or two he should fill out a bit more and add some power and what also is going to help is getting out of the met, Sweeney might not ever have a ton of power but he'll hit some homers in my opinion. The main reason though I like Sweeney over Anderson is just his swing to be honest. Sweeney has one of the beautiful smooth swings. His bat just comes through the zone flawlessly, obviously this is jmo but I do think Ryan will be a better player a few years down the road.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Well there is a couple of things:  Obviously right now Ryan has displayed no power but I think within the next year or two he should fill out a bit more and add some power and what also is going to help is getting out of the met, Sweeney might not ever have a ton of power but he'll hit some homers in my opinion.  The main reason though I like Sweeney over Anderson is just his swing to be honest.  Sweeney has one of the beautiful smooth swings.  His bat just comes through the zone flawlessly, obviously this is jmo but I do think Ryan will be a better player a few years down the road.

Sweeney has the potential to hit over .300 in the majors, and hit for 20 to 25 homers a season. Anderson is more of a .270/.280 guy with the same sort of power.

Also Anderson has a K/BB ratio of 78/30. Sweeney's is 26/20.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
I don't remember that. It was widely speculated that he would get traded in the Garcia deal since the beginning.

Oh okay. I thought he was, and was really asking more than anything.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
Agreed.  Sweeney has shown no power whatsoever.  Anderson gets on base AND hits for power. :huh

3 months ago, you thought Kevin Walker was good. Today,... he sucks.

Anderson is 23, Sweeney, 20. Sweeney is a much more polished hitter than Anderson was at 20. When Anderson was 20, he was posting a .275/.379/.394 with the help of the hollow ping of aluminum and the thin air in Tuscon. Let's also remember that Anderson only posted a .270/.346/.416 line in the second half at B'ham last year. Really, how much different is that than .275/.339/.333 by a guy two years younger with projectability.

I'll just wait until Anderson is called up, goes 2-35 with 19Ks, for you to jump off of that bandwagon too.

Me, I'm going to wait and see, Sweeney has a ton of potential.

Magglio Ordonez posted a .238/.303/.370 at age 21 in High-A ball. He didn't show any real gap power until his age 22 season at AA, and even then, he posted a sub-800 OPS. He didn't post an OPS over 800 in any of his minor league stops until his age 23 season at AAA. But hey, I guess he sucked too.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
I guess we just can't disagree on who the better player is, huh? :huh

Keep in mind that opinions are like assholes...  everyone's got one.

I don't think he has any problem with your opinion it's just the fact you give up on players so quickly.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:47 AM)
3 months ago, you thought Kevin Walker was good. Today,... he sucks.

Anderson is 23, Sweeney, 20. Sweeney is a much more polished hitter than Anderson was at 20. When Anderson was 20, he was posting a .275/.379/.394 with the help of the hollow ping of aluminum and the thin air in Tuscon. Let's also remember that Anderson only posted a .270/.346/.416 line in the second half at B'ham last year. Really, how much different is that than .275/.339/.333 by a guy two years younger with projectability.

I'll just wait until Anderson is called up, goes 2-35 with 19Ks, for you to jump off of that bandwagon too.

Me, I'm going to wait and see, Sweeney has a ton of potential.

Magglio Ordonez posted a .238/.303/.370 at age 21 in High-A ball. He didn't show any real gap power until his age 22 season at AA, and even then, he posted a sub-800 OPS. He didn't post an OPS over 800 in any of his minor league stops until his age 23 season at AAA. But hey, I guess he sucked too.

If you had a choice of who to hold onto, sweeney or anderson, you would hold onto sweeney?

I keep hearing about how the Yankees are going to shake up their bullpen with some trades and that lefty Buddy Groom could be moved. I wonder if we could trade them Vizcaino for Groom. Then we could use Groom as a situational lefty since Vizcaino really serves no purpose in our bullpen right now.

Just a quick comment on Anderson vs. Sweeney, based strictly on having seen both guys play.

Anderson is more advanced right now. He also has better speed, more power, and he has more range defensively. Their arms are about equal, I might give a slight edge to Sweeney.

Sweeney has far more bat control IMO, he has the ability to foul pitches off, make the pitcher work, and put the ball in play. This year's stats tend to bear it out, his walks and strikeouts are about even ... about once every 9 at bats. All he's exhibited so far is gap power, I'm a little surprised he has no HR's but he is only 20 and this is his first full year in AA. Anderson seems very susceptible to breaking stuff and I was not totally thrilled with his strike zone judgement.

This is just a personal opinion but I think both will be major league regulars. If I had to compare, I would put Anderson at probably the Steve Kotsay level, but not as a leadoff hitter. Right now he looks like a #6 or #7 hitter. As for Sweeney, he has a great lefthanded swing but he will need to hit for more power. If he progresses I feel the White Sox have their starting RF for 10 years, and a very good one at that.

So if someone forced me to choose on a long term basis, I would take Sweeney over Anderson without batting an eye. But, I'm not a scout, I'm just an observer.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
Just a quick comment on Anderson vs. Sweeney, based strictly on having seen both guys play.

Anderson is more advanced right now. He also has better speed, more power, and he has more range defensively.  Their arms are about equal, I might give a slight edge to Sweeney.

Sweeney has far more bat control IMO, he has the ability to foul pitches off, make the pitcher work, and put the ball in play.  This year's stats tend to bear it out, his walks and strikeouts are about even ... about once every 9 at bats.  All he's exhibited so far is gap power, I'm a little surprised he has no HR's but he is only 20 and this is his first full year in AA.  Anderson seems very susceptible to breaking stuff and I was not totally thrilled with his strike zone judgement.

This is just a personal opinion but I think both will be major league regulars.  If I had to compare, I would put Anderson at probably the Steve Kotsay level, but not as a leadoff hitter.  Right now he looks like a #6 or #7 hitter.  As for Sweeney, he has a great lefthanded swing but he will need to hit for more power.  If he progresses I feel the White Sox have their starting RF for 10 years, and a very good one at that.

So if someone forced me to choose on a long term basis, I would take Sweeney over Anderson without batting an eye.  But, I'm not a scout, I'm just an observer.

i assume you meant mark kotsay, which is a funny comparrison considering everyone compared jeremy reed to kotsay. in addition, from my personal experience i find sweeney to be more similar to kotsay and anderson most similar to none other than aaron rowand or a torii hunter type if im making big league comparrisons