The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

i assume you meant mark kotsay, which is a funny comparrison considering everyone compared jeremy reed to kotsay. in addition, from my personal experience i find sweeney to be more similar to kotsay and anderson most similar to none other than aaron rowand or a torii hunter type if im making big league comparrisons

Yes, Mark Kotsay, thank you ... brain cramp.

Sweeney to Kotsay I would say no way. Kotsay is a CF guy, Sweeney completely projects to RF. About the only thing they have in common is hitting lefthanded. Sweeney is about 4 inches taller than Kotsay and projects to be a large guy with power potential, although that hasn't shown itself yet. MK has probably stolen more bases already than Sweeney ever will, even though Kotsay doesn't swipe much any more.

I guess I was looking at it by saying Anderson, to me, seems like he'll be a good solid player ala Kotsay, but not spectacular. Sweeney I believe has the chance to be an All Star type. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though, because right now it's all speculation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
Just a quick comment on Anderson vs. Sweeney, based strictly on having seen both guys play.

Anderson is more advanced right now. He also has better speed, more power, and he has more range defensively.  Their arms are about equal, I might give a slight edge to Sweeney.

Sweeney has far more bat control IMO, he has the ability to foul pitches off, make the pitcher work, and put the ball in play.  This year's stats tend to bear it out, his walks and strikeouts are about even ... about once every 9 at bats.  All he's exhibited so far is gap power, I'm a little surprised he has no HR's but he is only 20 and this is his first full year in AA.  Anderson seems very susceptible to breaking stuff and I was not totally thrilled with his strike zone judgement.

This is just a personal opinion but I think both will be major league regulars.  If I had to compare, I would put Anderson at probably the Steve Kotsay level, but not as a leadoff hitter.  Right now he looks like a #6 or #7 hitter.  As for Sweeney, he has a great lefthanded swing but he will need to hit for more power.  If he progresses I feel the White Sox have their starting RF for 10 years, and a very good one at that.

So if someone forced me to choose on a long term basis, I would take Sweeney over Anderson without batting an eye.  But, I'm not a scout, I'm just an observer.

Good analysis.

Lets look at it another way. The first one to go will be Anderson. He is the closest to being major league ready and based on this will be the most attractive for a trade partner. Anderson has some pop but still has a lot of strikeouts. Remember Anderson is playing in a bandbox right now. Jeremey Reed looked like the second comming of Ichiro in that stadium.

Sweeney is a left handed stick and fits better in our grand scheme of this offense. He is a gap hitter, young and the big thing is that he has made a great impression on Ozzie.

My short list of the expendables for trades this year are Tracey, god if someone would take Diaz and Borchard, and of course Anderson will be the big price dangling like Jeremy Reed.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
The newest Gammons article says that the Blue Jays turned down Ryan Howard for Lilly.

So Id say Lilly is out of the question at those prices.

SB

That is very interesting. I wonder if the Phillies would be interested in El Duque for Howard? Howard could be a great pick up for next year and beyond for the Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
That is very interesting.  I wonder if the Phillies would be interested in El Duque for Howard?  Howard could be a great pick up for next year and beyond for the Sox.

Philadelphia is a s***ty organization, there's probably a good chance that they'd do it. I'd be all for it if we traded for a good starter (like Schmidt). Then, we'd know we'd have the money to keep that pitcher because Konerko would be gone with Howard replacing him.

Wait, that's too perfect. It can't happen.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Damn, I woke up and saw about 5 news pages on this thread and I was sure some deal went down.  Now I'm disappointed.  I always wake up hoping to see some trade news.

I'm really not hoping for a trade just to make a trade.....if Kenny can pull something off that greatly helps this team, I'm all for it. However, I know thats going to be very difficult this year as there's more buyers than sellers. If he can find a team that we can rape and pillage, I'd rather play with the guys we have than gamble on a project or a new mix of chemistry.

I was just talking to a buddy of mine from San Francisco and there is a trade rumor floating around out there about the White Sox. Again this is a rumor and it came from their local radio, so take it for what it's worth.

White Sox get:

SP Jason Schmidt

3B Edgardo Alfonzo, on the DL but due to come off of it this week

SF Giants get:

3B Joe Crede

SP Brandon McCarthy

OF Ryan Sweeney

SP Sean Tracey

The question is would you do it? 3 of our top 10 prospects and our current major league 3B? That is a hell of a lot to give up.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
I was just talking to a buddy of mine from San Francisco and there is a trade rumor floating around out there about the White Sox. Again this is a rumor and it came from their local radio, so take it for what it's worth.

White Sox get:

SP Jason Schmidt

SF Giants get:

3B Joe Crede

SP Brandon McCarthy

OF Ryan Sweeney

SP Sean Tracey

The question is would you do it? 3 of our top 10 prospects and our current major league 3B? That is a hell of a lot to give up.

that seems like an awful lot to give up for too much unknown. if schmidt is the ace he has shown in the past, and is healthy in october, its a decent trade. with pods rowand looking to be in our OF for a while, and anderson up and coming, and chris young tearing the ball right now, sweeney seems expendable. Ive been all for selling on Bmac, cuz his stock is higher than it should be right now. tracey i actually think could be the key to that deal, cuz hes been decent and AA and has some nasty stuff. i dislike edgardo alfonso though.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)

White Sox get:

SP Jason Schmidt

SF Giants get:

3B Joe Crede

SP Brandon McCarthy

OF Ryan Sweeney

SP Sean Tracey

That's an interesting proposal. So I guess it basically breaks down to Sweeney/BMac for Schmidt and Crede/Tracey for Alfonzo. How's Alfonzo's defense? He's always been a pretty good hitter who gets on base at a decent clip. Also doesn't strike out much at all. I'm gonna go out on a limp here and say the Sox will have some scouts in ARZ tonight to watch Schmidt's start...

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)

White Sox get:

SP Jason Schmidt

SF Giants get:

3B Joe Crede

SP Brandon McCarthy

OF Ryan Sweeney

SP Sean Tracey

Well it's creative, I'll give it that much. Frankly though, I wouldn't trade Crede straight up for Alfonzo and I think BMac, Sweeney, and Tracey is too much for Schmidt so it'd take a different mix than Sweeney and Tracey to consider it.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
That's an interesting proposal.  So I guess it basically breaks down to Sweeney/BMac for Schmidt and Crede/Tracey for Alfonzo.  How's Alfonzo's defense?  He's always been a pretty good hitter who gets on base at a decent clip.  Also doesn't strike out much at all.  I'm gonna go out on a limp here and say the Sox will have some scouts in ARZ tonight to watch Schmidt's start...

Alfonzo has always been known as a good glove man. I think the question is his health and how long can he stay healthy.

If I knew that both Schmidt and Alfonzo could stay healthy, I would probably make that deal. Our team would get so much better. Schmidt would make our rotation one of the best in the entire MLB (maybe THE best). Alfonzo would improve our lineup a ton with his ability to get on base. The Giants would have to pick up a lot of Alfonzo's contract though. He will earn $7 million next season. That's why I don't see this trade happening.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
If I knew that both Schmidt and Alfonzo could stay healthy, I would probably make that deal.  Our team would get so much better.  Schmidt would make our rotation one of the best in the entire MLB (maybe THE best).  Alfonzo would improve our lineup a ton with his ability to get on base.  The Giants would have to pick up a lot of Alfonzo's contract though.  He will earn $7 million next season.  That's why I don't see this trade happening.

WTF?!?!?! Alfonzo wasnt even worth that kind of change when he was a .350 hitter with the Mets in 99! Sabean should be fired for giving Alfonzo a contract like that. Holy cow, I cannot believe that Alfonzo is due 7 million next year.

WTF?!?!?!  Alfonzo wasnt even worth that kind of change when he was a .350 hitter with the Mets in 99!   Sabean should be fired for giving Alfonzo a contract like that.   Holy cow, I cannot believe that Alfonzo is due 7 million next year.

Well, when Alfonzo was with the Mets he was hitting homers and his defense was a lot better. He doesn't hit many homers anymore but he was and still is an OBP machine.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
WTF?!?!?!  Alfonzo wasnt even worth that kind of change when he was a .350 hitter with the Mets in 99! Sabean should be fired for giving Alfonzo a contract like that. Holy cow, I cannot believe that Alfonzo is due 7 million next year.

just found this out that may add a bit more heat to this rumor....alfonso like ozzie, is venezuelan

Uh oh, look out now ... Edgardo Alfonso = Venezuelan.

Automatic Ozzie connection :bang

haaa ... you beat me to the punch daa.

Edited by JimH

just found this out that may add a bit more heat to this rumor....alfonso like ozzie, is venezuelan

Uh oh, look out now ... Edgardo Alfonso = Venezuelan.

Automatic Ozzie connection  :bang

haaa ... you beat me to the punch daa.

I also noticed that right as you guys typed this. :lol:

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
Well, when Alfonzo was with the Mets he was hitting homers and his defense was a lot better.  He doesn't hit many homers anymore but he was and still is an OBP machine.

You have to be healthy to have a high OBP, when Alfonzo was with the Mets he stayed reasonably healthy. This is not the case anymore.