The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Eh, what's the point of even thinking/hoping/wishing/praying for a starter like Burnett, Oswalt, or Schmidt.  If we get anyone, it'll be Lilly or some marginal pitcher.  We have the pieces to get just about anyone we want, oh well.  Lilly will do.

:huh When has Kenny ever been afraid to make a big deal?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
From what most people around here are saying, it's almost a done deal that we're getting Lilly.

Since when do you listen to what people around here say and take it seriously. Lilly is an option but there is absolutely no gaurentee KW will get him, in fact I'd bet against it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
Since when do you listen to what people around here say and take it seriously. Lilly is an option but there is absolutely no gaurentee KW will get him, in fact I'd bet against it.

It was Chisoxfn, if I remember correctly. And that guy seems to know what he's talking about. Therefore, I believe what he says.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
It was Chisoxfn, if I remember correctly.  And that guy seems to know what he's talking about.  Therefore, I believe what he says.

If it was said in this thread then it wasn't Jason it was Jim. They are both extremely reliable sources.

This was the quote from this thread:

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Guys ... I think the Ted Lilly thing might be close.

That was all he said.

I trust him as a reliable source however I just don't see the Sox getting Lilly but I wouldn't put anything past KW.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
If it was said in this thread then it wasn't Jason it was Jim. They are both extremely reliable sources.

That was all he said.

I trust him as a reliable source however I just don't see the Sox getting Lilly but I wouldn't put anything past KW.

With the way El Duque's been since going on the DL and with Contreras gradually coming back down to earth, I would absolutely love for Kenny to get a stud pitcher. I couldn't care less about McCarthy. I've seen too many sure prospects turn to garbage to give a rat's ass about him. I'm not saying he won't be good, but he sure as hell is no sure thing. I'd trade him along with every other prospect we have for a proven talent.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
With the way El Duque's been since going on the DL and with Contreras gradually coming back down to earth, I would absolutely love for Kenny to get a stud pitcher.  I couldn't care less about McCarthy.  I've seen too many sure prospects turn to garbage to give a rat's ass about him.  I'm not saying he won't be good, but he sure as hell is no sure thing.  I'd trade him along with every other prospect we have for a proven talent.

I'm in the same boat as you. In my eyes there are no untradeable prospects, McCarthy/Anderson/Sweeney/Tracey/Baj/Valido/Young, I don't give a s*** who they are or how well they play in the minors. If trading them can net us a stud player for the bullpen/rotation/lineup, go for it and bring them in. Seeing Reed and Morse in Seattle doesn't bother me one bit because all I have to do is take a look at the Sox rotation and see that stud in the 2nd spot hell just watch Friday's game and then tell me you miss Reed, Morse or Olivo.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
I'm in the same boat as you. In my eyes there are no untradeable prospects, McCarthy/Anderson/Sweeney/Tracey/Baj/Valido/Young, I don't give a s*** who they are or how well they play in the minors. If trading them can net us a stud player for the bullpen/rotation/lineup, go for it and bring them in. Seeing Reed and Morse in Seattle doesn't bother me one bit because all I have to do is take a look at the Sox rotation and see that stud in the 2nd spot hell just watch Friday's game and then tell me you miss Reed, Morse or Olivo.

I agree with you on all of that. Another thing is that I have this fear that this guy will be just like Borchard. Borchard tore up the minors and he was a sure-thing starter of the future. I cringe to think what we could have gotten for him if he just had the balls to trade him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)

That was all he said.

Kalapse or Milkman can you guys link me to where Jim said that I'm not sure if it's in this thread or not but I can't find it.

I would trade Brandon McCarthy, Ryan Sweeney, and a reliever for A.J. Burnett in a second. He is the "power" pitcher that we don't have. El Duque could long relieve out of the bullpen or spot-start if needed like he did with the Yankees. I would have no problem with El Duque as our jizz-mopper out of the bullpen and Burnett as our #2 or #3 starter. Contreras as our #5 starter? That would be sick.

Mark Buehrle

A.J. Burnett

Freddy Garcia

Jon Garland

Jose Contreras

That would be the best rotation in the A.L. and probably the entire MLB. Goodbye B-Mac, Sweeney, and a reliever...

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
I agree with you on all of that.  Another thing is that I have this fear that this guy will be just like Borchard.  Borchard tore up the minors and he was a sure-thing starter of the future.  I cringe to think what we could have gotten for him if he just had the balls to trade him.

I wouldn't say Borchard tore up the minors. His best year in the minors was in 2001, .295/.380/.509 with B-Ham. He hasn't hit over .275 again since.

The Sox rushed him up too quick when he had a K/BB ratio of around 3:1 in almost every minor league stop. That's one thing that worries me a little about Brian Anderson and why he shouldn't be rushed.

And yes, prospects are prospects. But you can't keep trading for players all the time, that adds extra payroll money, something that can't be happening consistently unless you have a real big budget like the Yankees etc. The Twins have shown the benefits of developing good young players in Crain, Morneau and Mauer. They would cost around $1 million this season together.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:56 AM)
I wouldn't say Borchard tore up the minors. His best year in the minors was in 2001, .295/.380/.509 with B-Ham. He hasn't hit over .275 again since.

The Sox rushed him up too quick when he had a K/BB ratio of around 3:1 in almost every minor league stop. That's one thing that worries me a little about Brian Anderson and why he shouldn't be rushed.

And yes, prospects are prospects. But you can't keep trading for players all the time, that adds extra payroll money, something that can't be happening consistently unless you have a real big budget like the Yankees etc. The Twins have shown the benefits of developing good young players in Crain, Morneau and Mauer. They would cost around $1 million this season together.

The only stop that Borchard showed any plate discipline was Birmingham. That was a great season, but it was obviously an abberation. I've heard, rather read, Chris Young compared to Borchard here recently, but Young has shown a good eye at all levels and does nothing but hit the ball hard, strikeout, and walk. Borchard rarely hits the ball hard anymore.

You HAVE to trade prospects to improve the team when you are having a season like the Sox are. Spare no expense. Do anything to improve the team. Money isn't a factor if you go deep in the playoffs or possible even win the big one. The money will be there next year.

Edited by Jabroni

We could also make a trade for Jamie Moyer

-- The remodeling of the Seattle roster could be about to begin.

In the wake of losing five of their past seven games to fall into last place in the American League West, there were indications yesterday the Mariners could be ready to part with some of their veterans, perhaps second baseman Bret Boone or left-handed starter Jamie Moyer.

We could also make a trade for Jamie Moyer

-- The remodeling of the Seattle roster could be about to begin.

In the wake of losing five of their past seven games to fall into last place in the American League West, there were indications yesterday the Mariners could be ready to part with some of their veterans, perhaps second baseman Bret Boone or left-handed starter Jamie Moyer.

Moyer is another guy who'd be a good fit, if KW feels the need is a 5th starter.

I am much like all of you, I would prefer the White Sox go out and get the best possible starting pitcher (and reliever). The reason I feel this way is because these last two s***ty games notwithstanding, this season could be very special. Last year I did not feel this way because there were obvious holes, even after acquiring Garcia and Contreras.

However, two teams don't always match up tradewise. It's easy to say "go get this guy, go get that guy" but reality is often quite different. Other teams may have players that are a better fit. So I prefer to look at what is more likely to happen. To me, it seems very likely the Sox will be able to land an end-of-the-rotation starter, some of those will become available (Lilly, Moyer, etc.). It's a plus that trading for these guys won't strip the farm system, but I sense that is a secondary concern for KW.

One thing we can be very confident of ... if there is a healthy top guy available, the Sox will be in the mix. Similarly, in four weeks or sooner, I feel very confident they will bolster this team.

Lastly, if the Sox make a deal soon, I expect another at the deadline. My guess is a starter and a reliever, with a current reliever drawing the short straw.

Burnett sounds nice, but the asking price doesn't. As good as he is, I don't think it's wise to give up multiple players from the major league team.

As far as Moyer, he's probably nothing more than a 5th starter capable of eating up some innings. I guess in our situation we can't really complain.

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)
someone give me a link to this Burnett rumor.

i dont think there is anything definite but on foxsports.com ken rosenthall says the orioles and another unidentified AL team have engaged in serious talks about burnett. there are 14 AL teams, you know the Os are one, you can cross off the royals, Ms, devil rays, As for sure. that makes 9 teams. it probably isnt toronto or the tigers. this is certainly not minnesota's type of move since they wont be able to sign burnett in the offseason. That leaves teh White sox, red sox, yankees, indians angels and rangers. the indians IMO can't make that deal, because since burnett is a FA, this has to be a deal for this year and this year only. given the needs, i would say the rangers, bosox yanks and chisox are the main possibilities. as far as im concerned, i believe its us, dangling mccarthy but i could be wrong. i also think its us because KW never likes to be mentioned about trades, and maybe thats why the name isnt given. also ozzie has the old florida connection and might be pushing for burnett.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3720056

Edited by daa84

This is also from another Rosenthal article posted yesterday:

The Orioles, Nationals, Phillies, White Sox and Red Sox are among the clubs that might jump if the Giants take offers for RHP Jason Schmidt. The Nats envision Schmidt leading a postseason rotation that also would include RHP Livan Hernandez and RHP John Patterson, who has the best stuff of any D.C. starter. One problem: Giants G.M. Brian Sabean told reporters he does not plan to trade Schmidt; the Giants are built to contend in both 2005 and '06, and can retain Schmidt by exercising his $10.5 million option. . . .

The White Sox, who began the week second in the A.L. in rotation ERA, nevertheless are in the market for a starting pitcher because of RHP Orlando Hernandez's uncertain health and RHP Brandon McCarthy's limited experience. The team also could pursue a reliever. . . .

Jason Jennings, Rockies

Several contenders are looking for starting pitching help, while at the same time complaining there isn't much value out there. Jennings might represent a bargain though, since he's young, not that expensive and, considering he pitches in Coors, putting up numbers that are not horrible.

Potential Suitors: Braves, Orioles, Phillies, Rangers, Red Sox, White Sox

Jason Schmidt, Giants

Schmidt has been regaining his form lately on a team going nowhere, which has naturally re-kindled trade talk. Giants GM Brian Sabean says he isn't thinking about trading him, but really, what he wants to do is drive a very hard bargain. He wants three good prospects, which a few teams might think is worth it as the trade deadline approaches. righty.

Potential Suitors: Phillies, Rangers, Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees