The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Has any media outlet/ writer speculated that Lidge might be available?

the Tribune recently said he might be. I don't see him going anywhere if the Astros are still in the thick of things at the deadline, though. or anywhere near it, because they looked done this time last year, too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the most recent names suggested:

A.J. Burnett - I'd get him at a big price tag (trade value wise) if neccessary, especially if I thought I could ink him for another 3-4 years. He would be worth McCarthy, Marte, and their choice of Timo Perez or Ryan Sweeney to me. I'd even be willing to give up Everett if they would take a lesser reliever than Marte. Then again, who wouldn't pay that much for a 28 year old fireballer who's had success at the ML level? Unfortunately, the White Sox aren't interested at the present time, unless Kenny and Ozzie have completely fooled the media.

Jason Schmidt - Despite his past 2 starts, he's struggled this season, and his velocity is nowhere near what it used to be. In the right deal, I'd get him, but the Giants will be asking WAY too much.

Jaime Moyer - He can't be an ageless wonder forever. This is definitely what I'd call a rental player, and I DO NOT like rental players.

Ted Lilly - He might be worth one or two lower tier prospects, but I think Neal Cotts could fill the role that Lilly would.

Andy Pettite - The Astros will probably be in the market to trade him, and depending on what they're asking for in return, I'd like getting him. As of now, he's the 2nd best pitcher that could be on the trade block (Burnett is the best, and the Rocket isn't going anywhere).

Jason Jennings - We need a pitcher who can succeed now, not in a year or two. A 27 year old with a 1.69 WHIP including 54 walks in 91 innings is not going to succeed this year. No thanks.

Brad Lidge - It'd be nice to add him, but it won't happen

Eddie Guadardo - If there are health concerns with him, then it might be a risky move. However, if he does stay healthy, he has a couple more years left in him, and it would be so sweet to have Eddie Guardado throw the last inning of the division clinching game to A.J. Pierzynski against the Twins.

Eric Chavez - It's not going to happen, nor do I want it to. He may seem like a good addition now, but a couple years down the road, some of you would probably talk about him the way you talk about Kong now.

Joe Randa - Another rental player. No thanks.

The internet states that since the Mariners have dropped into last place, they want to unload Bret Boone, Randy Winn, and Jamie Moyer. I am not interested in the other two, unless we get Winn and lose Timo. But what about Moyer, I don't know what kind of money he makes, but he does have some Midwest ties, with Digger and family living around. Sorry if someone has posted this already.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)

If we're gonna give up B-Mac and one of our top two OF'ers (Sweeney or Anderson), we might as well be looking at getting Chavez from the A's rather than Burnett. An everyday position player is going to help this team (in the long run) a whole lot more than a guy who pitches every fifth day. Not trying to take anything away from Burnett, but if you're giving up two of your top prospects, go the extra mile and do what it takes to get Chavez.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
It depends who the man is that is pitching every fifth day.  In your head it doesn't make sense that someone who plays 30 games could contribute as much as someone who plays five times that amount, but I think they can. 

For example, if we were to land Schmidt somehow, his value to this team might be greater than that of Chavez.  They both had 19 win shares in 2004.  But a quality pitcher might be a greater upgrade over injured Duque/swingman/? than Chavez would be over Crede.

I am in agreement with 3E8 on this one. In fact if I was running a team, I would be thrilled to say that the 5 best players on my team were my starting 5. If the Sox were able to land Schmidt, I would rank the Sox as serious a contender as anyone. I am not sure I feel that way about them now. And this is a credit to how they have played so far this season. I think they have been playing with 'an attititude', thanks largerly to Ozzie and even Kenny (he made the changes).

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
Maybe I put too much stock into age and Schmidt's velocity dropoff, but if we're going to pay top dollar for a starter, I'd rather it be Burnett than Schmidt.

i agree 100% burnett has been much more solid this year

A.J. Burnett has some serious durability issues that must be looked at before even thinking about trading for him.

'99 - GS: 7  IP: 41.1  ERA: 3.48
'00 - GS: 13 IP: 82.2  ERA: 4.79
'01 - GS: 27 IP: 173.1 ERA: 4.05
'02 - GS: 29 IP: 204.1 ERA: 3.30
'03 - GS: 4  IP: 23.0  ERA: 4.70
'04 - GS: 19 IP: 120.0 ERA: 3.68
'05 - GS: 15 IP: 103.1 ERA: 3.14

He's played 7 professional seasons in his career (5 Full -1 for Rookie season -1 for injury in '03) and over those 7 seasons he's only had 1 seaon of 200 IP or more and he's only had 2 seasons of 150 IP or more. In the other 5 seosons he didn't even break 121 IP in any of them.

This should be a serious concern for any pitcher that thows as hard as he does.

Last year was his comback season after having Tommy John's surgery at the beginning of the '03 season. He has only missed a few starts since then which is incouraging seeing how TJ surgery tends to strengthen the arms of some pitchers who have the surgery.

Before you just start throwing McCarthy, Sweeney, Anderson, Marte or any other prospects/major league talent at them you first have to be absolutely sure that he is fully back from the injury and a flare up is not on the horizon.

I know that it is impossible to gaurentee a player will not get injured but when you're going to be dealing some of your most promising prospects and/or major league players you have to take into account his past injuries.

ESPN magazine thinks the Sox should get Hasagawa from Seattle. As far as Moyer goes, he's been pitching better in June, and I know KW was after him when he was a free agent after 2003. He gave up 44 homers last year, and only 6 so far this year. I wouldn't give up a top prospect, but maybe a middle tier guy for him if there wasn't anything better out there. I'm pretty sure KW has been working the phones hard looking to see what is and what could be availble in the next month.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
The newest Gammons article says that the Blue Jays turned down Ryan Howard for Lilly.

So Id say Lilly is out of the question at those prices.

SB

Wow...for two reasons. First, I can't believe the Jays turned down Howard for Lilly. Second, didn't the Phillies learn their lesson with Milton (flyball pitchers don't work in that bandbox)?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
Wow...for two reasons.  First, I can't believe the Jays turned down Howard for Lilly.  Second, didn't the Phillies learn their lesson with Milton (flyball pitchers don't work in that bandbox)?

Eric milton = butter parque's lover. :lol:

Eric milton = most hated pitcher in baseball for qwerty.

Maybe the Chicago media can will us to a favorable trade. Lilly, Burnett, Jennings, Schmidt, Zito, Batista. I'll take any body that's better than Contreras. He doesn't have it. He's good for the regular season but he has yet to come through in a big game.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
Maybe the Chicago media can will us to a favorable trade. Lilly, Burnett, Jennings, Schmidt, Zito, Batista.  I'll take any body that's better than Contreras.  He doesn't have it.  He's good for the regular season but he has yet to come through in a big game.

he's only had two chances to come through in a big game (in this country), during the 2003 playoffs, and his outings were typical for him then. that said, seeing this team pick up Schmidt or Burnett would still make me feel a lot better about our playoff rotation.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
A.J. Burnett has some serious durability issues that must be looked at before even thinking about trading for him.

'99 - GS: 7  IP: 41.1  ERA: 3.48
'00 - GS: 13 IP: 82.2  ERA: 4.79
'01 - GS: 27 IP: 173.1 ERA: 4.05
'02 - GS: 29 IP: 204.1 ERA: 3.30
'03 - GS: 4  IP: 23.0  ERA: 4.70
'04 - GS: 19 IP: 120.0 ERA: 3.68
'05 - GS: 15 IP: 103.1 ERA: 3.14

He's played 7 professional seasons in his career (5 Full -1 for Rookie season -1 for injury in '03) and over those 7 seasons he's only had 1 seaon of 200 IP or more and he's only had 2 seasons of 150 IP or more. In the other 5 seosons he didn't even break 121 IP in any of them.

This should be a serious concern for any pitcher that thows as hard as he does.

Last year was his comback season after having Tommy John's surgery at the beginning of the '03 season. He has only missed a few starts since then which is incouraging seeing how TJ surgery tends to strengthen the arms of some pitchers who have the surgery.

Before you just start throwing McCarthy, Sweeney, Anderson, Marte or any other prospects/major league talent at them you first have to be absolutely sure that he is fully back from the injury and a flare up is not on the horizon.

I know that it is impossible to gaurentee a player will not get injured but when you're going to be dealing some of your most promising prospects and/or major league players you have to take into account his past injuries.

He's a 28 year old fireballer who has had success in the past and is doing well this year. Of course when a player has been injured before, another injury is a concern, but if he stays healthy (and as you said, it is impossible to guarantee a player will not get injured), he is an awesome starter, and possibly even the #2 starter on the team, behind Buehrle. If we are going to throw a big package at any team for any attainable player, it should be the Marlins for Burnett. I know I'd want him more than an aging Schmidt who is struggling with his velocity and could have some kind of arm problem.

Barry Zito. Supposedly an extremley nice guy, gets along with everyone on his team and would add nothing but a sure fire ace to go along with an already solid rotation. Let's not forget the guy is a former Cy Young award winner and is only 26 years old. Seems like the kind of person who wouldn't effect the chemisrty of this ball club, and basically would add a great talent to this already solid Chicago White Sox team. If they add a Barry Zito, how great. Could you just imagine? Whoo Kenny! This team would be smokin'

QUOTE(DMoneyIsMine @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
Barry Zito. Supposedly an extremley nice guy, gets along with everyone on his team and would add nothing but a sure fire ace to go along with an already solid rotation. Let's not forget the guy is a former Cy Young award winner and is only 26 years old. Seems like the kind of person who wouldn't effect the chemisrty of this ball club, and basically would add a great talent to this already solid Chicago White Sox team. If they add a Barry Zito, how great. Could you just imagine? Whoo Kenny! This team would be smokin'

Zito sucks.

QUOTE(DMoneyIsMine @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)

$$$$. Zito is a free agent at the end of this season, if you're going to trade for him it's going to cost you a s*** load talent wise, then you have to make sure you can resign him. His contract will be rigoddamndiculous. $10mil+ for an underperforming pitcher.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Zito sucks.

.230 BAA, 4.41 ERA, 86 hits and 42 walks in 100 innings for Zito this year. his ERA and walks are a little too much, but is sort of tied in to the fact that he gets zero run support. I'm sure if we brought him here, he'd do fine, and here's why: in his 16 starts, he has left the game with his team scoring 1 run or less 6 times, and 2 runs a few more times (I'm tired of doing research, I just got home).

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
.230 BAA, 4.41 ERA, 86 hits and 42 walks in 100 innings for Zito this year.  his ERA and walks are a little too much, but is sort of tied in to the fact that he gets zero run support.  I'm sure if we brought him here, he'd do fine, and here's why:  in his 16 starts, he has left the game with his team scoring 1 run or less 6 times, and 2 runs a few more times (I'm tired of doing research, I just got home).

I don't understand what you're getting at. Zito's era is still way to high, what does run support have to do with that?? Like Kalapse said Zito just isn't worth it with the package we'd have to give up

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
I don't understand what you're getting at.  Zito's era is still way to high, what does run support have to do with that??  Like Kalapse said Zito just isn't worth it with the package we'd have to give up

you're right, it'd take too much to get him, but he really doesn't suck. I never did say run support and ERA are tied together, I did say, however, that pitchers tend to pitch better when it seems they have a chance to win it. Zito would have his head into it a little more if his offense wasn't rolling everything over and striking out all the time.