Who is the White Sox best offensive player?

jerseysox

I remember back in April-May I had no doubt in my mind it was Tad Iguchi.

Now, I'm not sure. Everyone has there own thing -- Pods has speed, Paulie has power, Tad's got a nice average, Aaron is mighty clutch. I'm not really sure which one is the most valuable.

In the words of Tony Kornheiser, WHO YOU GOT?

That's the beauty of having a balanced lineup. We have a wealth of guys that can do damage.

If I had to single one guy out, I might argue Aaron Rowand or Carl Everett. I know, I'm crazy, but it just seems like these two come up with big hits all the time. But if that's the criteria, you could put together some good arguments for Iguchi and Pierzynski, too.

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
That's the beauty of having a balanced lineup. We have a wealth of guys that can do damage.

If I had to single one guy out, I might argue Aaron Rowand or Carl Everett. I know, I'm crazy, but it just seems like these two come up with big hits all the time. But if that's the criteria, you could put together some good arguments for Iguchi and Pierzynski, too.

Yeah, I agree an Carl and ARow. I don't remember the exact numbers, but Farmer said they both have something like 15 RBIs in their last 15 games.

Because of the way the question was phrased...who is the "Best" offensive player, the only answer that is possible right now is Paul Konerko.

Right now, Konerko is 15th in the big leagues with 52 RBI's. No one else on the Sox is even in the top 30.

Konerko also leads the team in runs scored, with 44...Pods is a close 2nd at 42, but the same guy is leading in runs scored and RBI's.

Now, on top of that, this is not even the first year for Paulie to lead the team in the 2 main offensive categories; he was 10th in baseball last year with 117 RBI's, and 3rd on the team with 84 runs scored (although both Podsednik and Dye scored more runs last year.)

If the question was "Who is the most valuable offensive player"...that's a much different question, because it takes into account speed, timely hitting, etc, and Everett, Rowand and Pods become factors, but in terms of simply who the best offensive player is, it's hard not to say it's the guy leading the team in runs scored and driven in.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
Because of the way the question was phrased...who is the "Best" offensive player, the only answer that is possible right now is Paul Konerko.

Right now, Konerko is 15th in the big leagues with 52 RBI's.  No one else on the Sox is even in the top 30.

Konerko also leads the team in runs scored, with 44...Pods is a close 2nd at 42, but the same guy is leading in runs scored and RBI's.

Now, on top of that, this is not even the first year for Paulie to lead the team in the 2 main offensive categories; he was 10th in baseball last year with 117 RBI's, and 3rd on the team with 84 runs scored (although both Podsednik and Dye scored more runs last year.)

If the question was "Who is the most valuable offensive player"...that's a much different question, because it takes into account speed, timely hitting, etc, and Everett, Rowand and Pods become factors, but in terms of simply who the best offensive player is, it's hard not to say it's the guy leading the team in runs scored and driven in.

Great post. I would not have thought of good old number 14 but using your definition of best, I have to agree.

If I had to nominate the poster child of Smart Ball 2005, I'd go with Rowand or Pods.

My vote goes for Frank. Notice how there aren't any more "This offense sucks" threads since he's been back? He makes the offense seem more condifent IMO. He works the opposing pitcher, makes the hitters around him better and for God's sake he's Frank Thomas, the best Sox hitter of all time.

If Frank had been playing all season long I'd have no second thoughts about naming him "the best". However, even though he's been playing at a high level since his return, he hasn't been doing it for 3 months.

The only guy that's been doing it since the start of the season is Paulie. Even through his horrible slump from mid-April to mid-May he was still drawing walks and moving runners along. When he's hitting he's doing that plus a whole lot more.

Ask this question again in September and, barring an injury, I'll more-than-likely be changing my vote to the Big Hurt.