Jose.......

TheBigHurt

Well it's early yet(Scotty just got a double), but even though I hear about how Contreras has done awesome, I'm a bit dissapointed in his somehwhat shaky performances as of late. And I would say lay off those forkballs, unless you got some authority on em. He just gabe up a grand slam, I believe. Just my 2 cents.

If Contrereas doesn't have his forkball, he won't even be worth having a spot on the roster. His fastball doesn't have enough movement, and lacks command, to survive only on that. The main reason Contreras was so successful early on was that whenever he had 2 strikes on the hitter, he was able to make the hitter chanse his forkball in the dirt for the K or weak groundout.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
If Contrereas doesn't have his forkball, he won't even be worth having a spot on the roster.  His fastball doesn't have enough movement, and lacks command, to survive only on that.  The main reason Contreras was so successful early on was that whenever he had 2 strikes on the hitter, he was able to make the hitter chanse his forkball in the dirt for the K or weak groundout.

He has to use his fastball to set up his forkball. We've seen him fall in love with it and in turn watch it get hammered. His fastball isn't bad, it's not bad at all and even with a decent forkball if he can throw a fastball for strikes he should dominate.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
Another cuban has broken the 4 ERA level. 

These guys have got to throw strikes, they need to stop giving every team extra chances.

It's hard to throw strikes when the strike zone shrinks 6 inches per side every time Maddux leaves the mound and you take over.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
It's hard to throw strikes when the strike zone shrinks 6 inches per side every time Maddux leaves the mound and you take over.

The strike zone wasn't nearly as bad as I believe you think it was today. Not only that, but Maddux deserves the benefit of the doubt from the umpire a lot more than Contreras does. The strike zone was not the reason we lost today. Contreras pitching like a pussy in the first inning was.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
The strike zone wasn't nearly as bad as I believe you think it was today.  Not only that, but Maddux deserves the benefit of the doubt from the umpire a lot more than Contreras does.  The strike zone was not the reason we lost today.  Contreras pitching like a pussy in the first inning was.

That I will grant you, but I think Maddux's strike zone was what made sure our guys only scored 2 runs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
Contreras wasn't bad after the first 4 hitters. The 5th run scored when Konerko tried for an ill-advised DP with Patterson running. He had the runner dead at home. Cotts gave up a hit with Contreras' runner on for the sixth run. A rough first hurt.

He was also helped by 2 Gooch webgems in one inning and Dye gunning Aramis at the dish.

Oh well, we lost.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
He was also helped by 2 Gooch webgems in one inning and Dye gunning Aramis at the dish.

Oh well, we lost.

Crede's near homer snapped Maddux back into form. I think Cub pitching retired the last 14 hitters. You aren't going to win many games at USCF when the temperature is 90 and you only score 2 runs. I think the Messiah will get lit up tomorrow.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
Not only that, but Maddux deserves the benefit of the doubt from the umpire a lot more than Contreras does. 

You are wrong. Contreras deserves THE SAME strike zone as Maddux. What is this, segregation? Seperate, but equal strike zones? If it is a strike for one guy, it damn well should be a strike for the other guy. Experience should not factor into how 'big' your strike zone is. Does the rule book say the strike zone is from point A to point B, unless your name is Maddux, Pedro or Santana, then you can add 4 inches to every side? I don't think so.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
You are wrong.  Contreras deserves THE SAME strike zone as Maddux.  What is this, segregation?  Seperate, but equal strike zones?  If it is a strike for one guy, it damn well should be a strike for the other guy.  Experience should not factor into how 'big' your strike zone is.  Does the rule book say the strike zone is from point A to point B, unless your name is Maddux, Pedro or Santana, then you can add 4 inches to every side?  I don't think so.

I agree. I think it's BS how people think certain player should receive calls. It was pretty obvious from the first couple of pitches that Contreras through that the K Zone was going to be a damn small one for Contreras. I'm fine with that, but Maddux was hitting the same corners Contreras was and he was getting that called a K. It was blatantly obvious that the K zone was much bigger for Maddux than it was for Contreras.

As for his other pitches. His power pitches are good enough to set up his forkball. Hell, if they were thrown for first pitch strikes(and he actually gets calls) he would flat out dominate.

Here's what's been wrong with Contreras recently:

He's a pussy when runners get on base.

He needs to grow a pair, and fast. The guy has the sickest stuff around, he's like 6'3'' 250, and he's a little b****. As much as I like the guy, he needs to get slapped around or kicked in the balls, if he had any, once in a while.

Grow the f*** up, Contreras. You're a big boy now. You'd think a guy that grew up in Communist Cuba and defected would have some more guts.

If Contreras had half the guts of El Duque, he'd be unstoppable. Then again, if El Duque had half the talent as Contreras...well, you know where I'm going. Damn Cubans.

(That's all the ranting I'll be doing about this performance, I'm sure glad I couldn't see it because of the blackout.)

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 04:04 AM)
You are wrong.  Contreras deserves THE SAME strike zone as Maddux.  What is this, segregation?  Seperate, but equal strike zones?  If it is a strike for one guy, it damn well should be a strike for the other guy.  Experience should not factor into how 'big' your strike zone is.  Does the rule book say the strike zone is from point A to point B, unless your name is Maddux, Pedro or Santana, then you can add 4 inches to every side?  I don't think so.

Were you a Bulls fan during the Jordan era? If so, then I bet you never complained about the fact that MJ could get away with almost anything he wanted on the court. Favortism happens in sports, it's something that everyone has to deal with.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
Were you a Bulls fan during the Jordan era?  If so, then I bet you never complained about the fact that MJ could get away with almost anything he wanted on the court.  Favortism happens in sports, it's something that everyone has to deal with.

If you sneeze by super star in the nba they go to the free throw line. Just somethign that is apart of sports and always will be.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 05:22 AM)
If you sneeze by super star in the nba they go to the free throw line. Just somethign that is apart of sports and always will be.

Yes, but the big names in baseball gets preferential treatment also. Barry Bonds easily has the smallest strike zone in baseball. Guys like Pedro and Maddux are almost always going to have a bigger zone than rookies, etc. All we can hope is that someone like Buehrle begins to get the extra inch or so off the plate as his career goes on.

Yes, but the big names in baseball gets preferential treatment also.  Barry Bonds easily has the smallest strike zone in baseball.  Guys like Pedro and Maddux are almost always going to have a bigger zone than rookies, etc.  All we can hope is that someone like Buehrle begins to get the extra inch or so off the plate as his career goes on.

Frank Thomas gets a lot of calls too so we can complain. I've already seen Frank start to get strikes called balls and that's after missing an entire year of baseball.

Contreras takes way too much time to deliver a pitch with runners on base. He apparently tips his pitches also and suffers for that from time to time. It was apparent he didn't have much to offer yesterday when he walks 2 and hits 3 and as usual can't get out of the 1st ining without giving up a bunch of runs. There have been many times he looks almost unhittable, but starts slow. El Duque does the same thing from time to time. It's like they aren't ready for the game abd play soft toss. They need to get motivated before the game starts and bear down right away.

Contreras has too many problems. One game he dominates, the next 2 he blows. He has serious confidence issues. He threw that forkball to ARam right after he threw a forkball for a wild-pitch. So, he get's scared and lobs it right own the middle of the plate. He's like a f***ing ostrich. He does something wrong and buries his head in the sand...in this case, his ass.

I completely agree, Contreras has confidence issues. The sad part is the fact that he is absolutely dominating when he throws his hard fastball with movement. I don't know what happened and why he can't just change speeds. AJ should NOT let Contreras throw so many forkballs, and the fact that he actually lets him do it shows a probelm with him/management.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
AJ should NOT let Contreras throw so many forkballs, and the fact that he actually lets him do it shows a probelm with him/management.

What the f*** are you talking about? How in the hell is AJ supposed to make Contreras throw exactly what he wants him to throw? This shows a problem with management?! Seriously, what the f*** are you talking about?