Land of the Dead

LowerCaseRepublican

I saw it last night with a few buddies of mine. Overall I thought it was pretty solid and a fun flick. The last 5 minutes are a little lame but I enjoyed it overall. Makes pokes at the current administration and Hopper is pretty hilarious in the movie. Don't expect some life changing flick and you will probably enjoy the movie.

I thought it was amazing. Then again, my friend and I are pretty apt for looking for the commentary that Romero is trying to make in his films. I thought it was a much better effort than his previous films (Monkey Shines and Bruiser)

Everybody did a very solid job in their roles. If you know what to expect from Romero's previous zombie movies (Night, Dawn, Day) that it wasn't anything too new but it was nice to see what he could do effects wise with a budget and nice to see him re-establish himself in the film genre with a solid outing & making a statement like he has done with his other films (he's said numerous times that his movies on one level are an entertaining zombie flick and on another level, he tries to make a social commentary)

And seeing Tom Savini in the film. :notworthy :notworthy

While "Night" is my favorite of the Dead series, I'd say that this one ranks at #2 for me out of the 4. And the scene with the automated canary -- genius. Not to mention his commentary on religion.

How was leguizamo in it if i may ask? I really like him because he is was of those actors that can play any role and succeed while doing so. His roles kinda remind me of roles johnny depp plays in.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
How was leguizamo in it if i may ask? I really like him because he is was of those actors that can play any role and succeed while doing so. His roles kinda remind me of johnny depps.

I thought he did pretty well in the role he was cast in. He came across as pretty convincing.

QUOTE(BurlyMan56 @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
The movie f***ing sucked...Don't waste your money like I did last night...20 bucks down the drain....:(  Wait til you can rent it...

Why did you think the movie sucked?

And also, Yoda, where are you at? I thought you'd totally be posting in this movie thread.

I checked it out last night. It was a perfectly fun movie if you knew what to expect of a silly zombie movie. And seeing as I consider it a silly movie I don't put as much stock into Romero's social commentary as others. It was much more funny than scary and I liked many of the new ideas, such as smarter zombies, using tools and such, the fireworks bit. But thats not to say the film has a bunch of things I didn't like. As some mentioned earlier the ending didn't work for me, the leader zombie's moan was annoying (although I still liked him), people getting shot in the head got boring and some other small flaws got to me. Also I was originally intrigued by the film's synopsis about dead reckoning protecting the city and emphasizing the protection of the city. But the film didn't really go that way. Dead reckoning was uninteresting and it seemed like the only protection the city had was a river and electrified fence. Of course considering they were just keeping out stupid zombies I guess it would be adequate.

7/10

And for those of you who didn't know, this was done on a 15 million dollar budget in Canada! So the whole idea of them going to Canada was kind of goofy especially considering half the cast was Canadian. Also I'd be guessing there will be a sequel considering it did well at the box office. Oh and I was giggling at Tom Savini's appearance, he was credited as Machete Blade... I think, any significance there? Oh and apparently Greg Nicotero and Simon Pegg from Shaun of the Dead were zombies but I must have missed them.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
I checked it out last night.  It was a perfectly fun movie if you knew what to expect of a silly zombie movie.  And seeing as I consider it a silly movie I don't put as much stock into Romero's social commentary as others.  It was much more funny than scary and I liked many of the new ideas, such as smarter zombies, using tools and such, the fireworks bit. But thats not to say the film has a bunch of things I didn't like.  As some mentioned earlier the ending didn't work for me, the leader zombie's moan was annoying (although I still liked him), people getting shot in the head got boring and some other small flaws got to me.  Also I was originally intrigued by the film's synopsis about dead reckoning protecting the city and emphasizing the protection of the city.  But  the film didn't really go that way.  Dead reckoning was uninteresting and it seemed like the only protection the city had was a river and electrified fence.  Of course considering they were just keeping out stupid zombies I guess it would be adequate.

7/10

And for those of you who didn't know, this was done on a 15 million dollar budget in Canada!  So the whole idea of them going to Canada was kind of goofy especially considering half the cast was Canadian.  Also I'd be guessing there will be a sequel considering it did well at the box office.  Oh and I was giggling at Tom Savini's appearance, he was credited as Machete Blade... I think, any significance there?  Oh and apparently Greg Nicotero and Simon Pegg from Shaun of the Dead were zombies but I must have missed them.

In the original "Dawn of the Dead", Savini was a machete wielding biker. His social commentary was by no means subtle but it was cool seeing him expand on the end of "Day" where the zombies were starting to be able to use guns etc.

And that was hilarious that so much of the film was done in Canada (yay tax incentives) But they made it believable that it wasn't Canada...much better than that one J-Lo movie where they said it was taking place in Chicago yet they had Toronto landmarks in the background. :lol:

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
In the original "Dawn of the Dead", Savini was a machete wielding biker.  His social commentary was by no means subtle but it was cool seeing him expand on the end of "Day" where the zombies were starting to be able to use guns etc.

And that was hilarious that so much of the film was done in Canada (yay tax incentives)  But they made it believable that it wasn't Canada...much better than that one J-Lo movie where they said it was taking place in Chicago yet they had Toronto landmarks in the background.  :lol:

Shall We Dance?

I loved it! Dawn is without a doubt my favorite movie (owning every single US release there has been of the damn thing even) and the movie that changed my life as far as film viewing is concerned, so I had some concerns for the film. Though I was never one of the ones who hated Day, so maybe I am a bit too forgiving to Romero. But for me, this film had so much going for it, and it succeeded in so many ways. I loved all of the characters and felt everything was executed just right. The only complaint I have was the make-up job for Big Daddy. It actually would have served better, IMO, to have had Bub come back and be the leader, as over the 10 years or so that have supposedly passed, he would have gained a decent amount of intelligence.

SPOILER!!!

I loved Romero's decision on Cholo's fate!!! That was a brilliant move and one I had longed for in zombie flicks.

Yes, Savini was reprising his role of Blade in this film. Just a shame that Romero didn't give him credit as it in the end.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
Yes, Savini was reprising his role of Blade in this film. Just a shame that Romero didn't give him credit as it in the end.

Brian was all excited when he saw him and to explain to be me who he was.

I enjoyed it for what it was - a zombie flick. I absolutely hated the last "dead" movie (I don't think it was by Romero) as the zombies were faster than Konerko - sorry, but as slow as Konerko is, that is too damned fast for a zombie.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
I haven't seen this movie nor do I plan on seeing it any time soon, but this interested me.  What happened?

SPOILER!!!

Cholo is the character played by Leguizamo, and he is basically the nutjob of the mercenary guys. Or the one who gives the least s*** about things. He ends up getting bit in the hand towards the end of the movie. As his buddy asks him if he wants him to kill him (as everybody else does so that they don't become like "them"), Cholo responds with a "Nah, f*** it, I always wanted to see how the other half lives" and he and his buddy go their seperate ways. It was a cool twist, as for once somebody was cool with what was going to happen, and it fit his character perfectly.

Queen Prawn: no, Romero had no part of last years Dawn Of The Dead remake, and was not happy about it at all. But without that film, this one would never have happened.