MELTDOWN Thread

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
As long as we're venting here...f***, s***, damn, freaking son of a f***ing c*** whore b****, damn, spit, growl, snap, spit some more, f***ing Boris Said is a mothing f***ing jackass f***ing ringer son of a freaking f***ing b**** and damn Tony had to beat Ricky Rudd damn it all to hell. Oh and the scrubs pissed me off to !(@*&$(*^$@)&@%$&@^!%$^& to them - I had a rough day what can I tell ya lol.

Ok, now I feel a  little better.

You had a bad day? My drivers #8, I'm having a bad season - White Sox aside.

Edited by DePloderer

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crazy to talk about 2 losses in a row as the end of the world when we're playing so well. I'm still very optimistic. We'll be in the playoffs and I really think we can do some damage when there.

BUT...

the only thing that did concern me about this weekend is that it's one of the closest things that we will get resembling a playoff atmosphere. And we had it at home. It worries me if this team shows they can't get up for the big game and win when they need to win.

I'm not worried about them closing out the season. They won't collapse and not make it. I'm just looking for indicators of how we will be able to do once we get to the playoffs and this was one of the first ones and it wasn't exactly what I had hoped for.

Of course once you get to the playoffs you've got different pitching rotations and different variables and all that kind of stuff, but I think you know what I'm saying.

Edited by MinnySoxFan

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
You had a bad day? My drivers #8, I'm having a bad season - White Sox aside.

Bad season - talk to Ricky Rudd and Bobby Labonte lol. My driver (Jeff Burton) has had some tough luck, but with 16th place I can't complain much except about BorASS Said (mfing jagbag).

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
We do need bullpen help but because of this game...?

I knew I said that wrong. we do need bullpen help, but this game didn't show it. I just left it because nobody said anything in this thread for too long, so I left my computer.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
OH NO.  We lost our 5th series of the year!  Now ESPN is never going to take us seriously!

:crying  :crying  :crying  :crying  :crying  :crying  :crying  :crying  :crying  :crying  :crying  :crying

Yeah, we suck. I was talking about the playoffs and maybe even World Series. But since we lost 2 games to the Cubs we suck, right. We should be worried, right?

It's 2 games folks. We won the last 8 before them. Prior owns us, it's as simple as that. Don't make too much of it.

This game and series was obviously very important to the Sox, a lot more important then they led on. As a result, we saw them being too eager and pressing on offense. It seemed like the later the game went, the worse we looked at the plate... in terms of pitch selection. This is a sign of folding under pressure. I'm not saying the sky is falling, but hopefully Ozzie noticed what happened today and why. If they thought today was pressure, wait til the second half when the tough part of the schedule comes around and every team is looking to dethrone them and the media pumps up the pressure. Handle it now and learn from it Oz.

Now let's go kick some Tiger ass.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
As a result, we saw them being too eager and pressing on offense. It seemed like the later the game went, the worse we looked at the plate... in terms of pitch selection. This is a sign of folding under pressure.

very true. but when it's 2-0, and there's a runner on, it's only natural for guys like Thomas and Konerko to try to tie it up with one swing. you can't be too hard on them, trying to do what they do best at a time like that, but during a lot of our comebacks the guys have refrained from trying to do just that. in a game like this against the Cubs' pen it would have served better to try to string together a couple hits. but oh well, move on to the Tigers on Tuesday.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
This game and series was obviously very important to the Sox, a lot more important then they led on. As a result, we saw them being too eager and pressing on offense. It seemed like the later the game went, the worse we looked at the plate... in terms of pitch selection. This is a sign of folding under pressure. I'm not saying the sky is falling, but hopefully Ozzie noticed what happened today and why. If they thought today was pressure, wait til the second half when the tough part of the schedule comes around and every team is looking to dethrone them and the media pumps up the pressure. Handle it now and learn from it Oz.

Now let's go kick some Tiger ass.

Well said...

I knew a lot of folks would be venting, cursing, and jumping on the Sox case. The Sox didn't take advantage, they were too eager, they were weak at the plate, the pressed. They they they... That is the easy way out. What we have to realize today is that the result wasn't what the Sox and Garland didn't do - its what the Cubs and Prior did do. It is easy to admit the Sox hosed it because that implies they should have won it. That wasn't what I observed though. Today the Cubs were simply the better team, and had the better pitcher. End of game, end of story. Believe me, I would rather jump on the Sox then give the Cubs their due, but this one was earned by the Cubbies, folks. They were the playoff quality team - this afternoon anyway.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

Okay, I think I'll inject some logic into this venting. As of today, the Sox are 50-24, STILL the best team in baseball, and 9.5 games up on the Twins. 74 games into the season, the Sox are on pace to go 109-53. However, let's say the Sox fall into mediocrity for the remainder of the season. They play .500 ball for the remaining 88 games, going 44-44. That would produce a record of 94-68.

Meanwhile, the Twins are 40-33, 7 games over .500 through 73 games. At their current pace, they will finish the season 89-73. However, let's say the Twins suddenly catch fire and go 53-36, 17 games over .500 in those 89 games. That would make them 93-69 on the season, one game worse than the Sox record if they only play .500 ball from this point on.

My point? The Twins have a LOT of ground to make up if they want to catch the Sox, and they'd have to count on the Sox for some help too. If a race can be over in June, then both Central division races are.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Was out of town this weekend, but caught most of the game today. Prior was just flat on today, no if,ands, or buts about it. However, that 7th inning, after the 5 pitch walk, that was the worst display I have seen by the Sox at the plate all season. We should have opened the flood gates against Williams, but insted calmed him down with 2 pitches.

Shape up and lets win the series in Detriot boys.

I don't know about that excuse. Prior had maybe two pitches today, our guys just s*** their pants. Oh well, I guess it happens. I hope they just get their heads together and can finally win out on the coast and in Detroit.

Are there more meltdowns here, or more people telling everyone to calm down?

It's a thread dedicated to rants, and still most of the rants were only half serious, at most. Only a handful of the remaining ones were really very critical, and that's just the usual suspects, iirc. Relax, perspective police.

the one very positive from todays game was absolutely garland! he actually was extremely pumped up from the get go & was very confident thruout the game. he looked to be in command and really pitched extremely well! today was the beginning in my mind of a ace caliber pitcher in JG! i know that his record is great and all but to me this was really the first time that i really saw him grab the ball and say they ain't beatin me today...

First thing Prior didnt pitch a great game. He had a 91mph fastball for the most part. He wanst as crisp as usual. His fastball usually sits at 92-93 and he heats it up to 94. And his curve and slider usually have a hell of a lot more bite. He was throwing more rollers up there than usual. This being said is why some of us are upset and the outcome. I can understand losing the pitchers duel, but good lord can we muster more than a pablo ozuna hit and a hit batter for our runners. Our hitters did not have a good gameplan at all.

IMHO they saw that Prior wasnt up to 100% and thought they could man handle him a bit. They went up there looking long ball, even with 2 strikes. After the first few times through the lineup someone should of been trying to get on base. However what we saw was a lot of long looping swings looking for power. This is what upsets me. Not Garlands effort or even the outcome it was the lack of effort and a good gameplan. The only Ozzie thing was why is Willie Harris hitting 2nd. He is batting 230. Pablo should of been hitting in the 2 hole and Harris should of been in the 9 hole.

Hopefully they go into Detoliet with a better hitting approach. Its so sad, on Friday they looked like this series was in the bag. Hitting the ball for line drives, hitting to the other field, pulling the inside pitches. Then two games in a row of softball. Lets see how far and how high we can get the ball up into the air.

I feel bad for Garland he pitched his ass off. And had a near perfect game.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Be Good @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
OMG we lost a series, the sky is falling. Guys The Sox are a baseball team and baseball team lose series even the best teams.

This applies well for a series loss at Fenway or something. That's a series loss you really don't think twice about.

This was a series loss to the Cubs at home ended by one of this year's poorest offensive performances. Saturday's showing was not up to par either.

I don't know about anyone else but I was really hoping for a different showing from the "new" White Sox these last two games, which are the closest we could get to a playoff-like atmosphere. Probably not going to draw matches against any Sergio Mitre's in the ALDS, don't you think?

Can we lay off the "oh s***, we can't hit good pitchers" stuff? We've put up runs against guys this season and won some pitching duels, and it's not like the postseason is full of nothing but Mark Priors. Baltimore has no real starters that are a threat; Boston's pitching in general has been a disappointment (Clement the only one doing well. Wells, Arroyo, Wakefield, and Arroyo suck along with their pen. Even assuming Schilling gets back to 100%, we're going to get at least one scrub, and we've seen Clement implode in the past.); the Yankees are struggling mightily with their starters and only Randy is shutdown type guy if he gets his s*** together; Anaheim is fairly effective, but none of their guys are shutdown pitchers and all are hittable (we all know Colon, and Washburn and Lackey have WHIP's over 1.40. Escobar has good stuff but isn't healthy); Texas' best pitcher is Kenny Rogers, I rest my case. Every once in a while good pitchers are going to shut you down. Our guys have done it more than anyone. Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland have done it many times and are pitching well, and we've seen that Contreras can dominate when he's on. We'll live.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
Can we lay off the "oh s***, we can't hit good pitchers" stuff? We've put up runs against guys this season and won some pitching duels

I don't know about all of that. The only ace I can remember us beating up on was Rich Harden, and I think we lost that game because Buehrle imploded. It seems like our pitching duels came against guys that you don't expect to have a pitching duel with, such as Byun-Hyung Kim, Elmer Dessens, whatever that rookies' name on the Padres name was, etc.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
Can we lay off the "oh s***, we can't hit good pitchers" stuff? We've put up runs against guys this season and won some pitching duels, and it's not like the postseason is full of nothing but Mark Priors. Baltimore has no real starters that are a threat; Boston's pitching in general has been a disappointment (Clement the only one doing well. Wells, Arroyo, Wakefield, and Arroyo suck along with their pen. Even assuming Schilling gets back to 100%, we're going to get at least one scrub, and we've seen Clement implode in the past.); the Yankees are struggling mightily with their starters and only Randy is shutdown type guy if he gets his s*** together; Anaheim is fairly effective, but none of their guys are shutdown pitchers and all are hittable (we all know Colon, and Washburn and Lackey have WHIP's over 1.40. Escobar has good stuff but isn't healthy); Texas' best pitcher is Kenny Rogers, I rest my case. Every once in a while good pitchers are going to shut you down. Our guys have done it more than anyone. Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland have done it many times and are pitching well, and we've seen that Contreras can dominate when he's on. We'll live.

Conteras will s*** himself silly in the playoffs. They better not rely on him in the playoffs or we are f***ed.

Schilling/Wade Miller/Clement are all quality pitchers. I know they are no Sergio Mitre and all, but I think you underestimate pitchers who have pitched tough in the playoffs. Remember how Schilling pitched ok last year, and put that team on his back and shut down better offenses than this one. You dont need to be a total shutdown guy to stop this offense. Just spot the fastball on the outside corner and throw a slider on the outside corner and you will shut this team down. This is not just one time or another. Any pitcher this year who has done this has shut this team down.

BTW if you thought that was a vintage Mark Prior who was a 2 pitch pitcher tossing 91 I would suggest you need to watch him in about a month when he is cracking 93-94 with a filthy curve. We didnt face the best mark prior and couldnt hit them.

Plus what you fail to realize is that all of those teams have sick offenses that are much better than ours.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
I don't know about all of that.  The only ace I can remember us beating up on was Rich Harden, and I think we lost that game because Buehrle imploded.  It seems like our pitching duels came against guys that you don't expect to have a pitching duel with, such as Byun-Hyung Kim, Elmer Dessens, whatever that rookies' name on the Padres name was, etc.

You aren't going to "rock" aces too often. If you can get 3 runs off of the top pitchers in a start, you're doing alright. We've done that. As for pitching duels, I know we won in well pitched games against Colon (think it was Buehrle) and Zambrano (Contreras) at a bare minimum. I'm really too lazy to look through box scores right now.

Contreras is obviously our 4th starter in the playoffs. He won't pitch that often. Wade Miller is a scrub at this point in his career (ERA near 5)- too many injuries. I'm not worried about their offenses (we've scored more runs than LA by the way) that much because our staff is better than all of them. They're not going to be putting up a ton of runs against Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland, who they're going to see in almost every start. Those teams are allowing far more runs than us (we're at about 280, all of them are over 340 except LA, who has allowed fewer runs than us while we've scored more), which is why we're winning a lot more games. Every one of those teams has struggled with some aspect of their pitching- we're worrying about our #5 starter and our 2nd or 3rd setup men. The playoffs are fairly far away, but I'm not really worry about any matchups.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
You aren't going to "rock" aces too often. If you can get 3 runs off of the top pitchers in a start, you're doing alright. We've done that. As for pitching duels, I know we won in well pitched games against Colon (think it was Buehrle) and Zambrano (Contreras) at a bare minimum. I'm really too lazy to look through box scores right now.

We didn't beat either of those pitchers, though. They both s*** on our offense, and we beat their bullpens.