My White Sox Beef

jerseysox

Now, as the baseball axiom goes, good pitching beats good hitting.

And lucky for us, we have three pretty damn good pitchers right now. Come postseason time, we should be in pretty good shape in that department.

But, the axiom is GOOD pitching beats GOOD hitting.

Well, I hate to say it, but we don't have good hitting. We have average hitting. Come playoff time, all you face is good pitching. So can you imagine what good pitching is going to do to us? And as evidenced by what we do against good pitching (Prior) and average pitching (Dessens) I think we are in serious trouble.

I really don't see a way, with the lineup as it is now, we are going to score more than 3 runs in any postseason game.

Let's say we play the Angels in the first round. That means we get Bartolo twice. We are more than likely going to score two runs or less in those games.

The same can be said for the Yankees (Unit) or the Red Sox (Schilling).

I know you all love this team and we have the best record and all that, but come postseason time, I think our bats are going to be in serious trouble. If we have to fight to score runs against Scott Elarton, what are we going to do when matched up with Bartolo Colon?

And sadly, I don't see how we're going to get much better offensively. If things don't change, we are ripe for a first-round exit.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
I don't see much of a point in making a new thread for this seeing how this exact topic is being discussed in the Meltdown thread right now.

I don't see how you don't see the difference between people ranting about how bad we are because we lost two of three to the Cubs and a thread about our hitting against good pitching in general.

I think our offense will get together, it's really too early to judge that stuff. I know we had trouble hitting Elmer Dessens, but every team has their off days and the Sox seem to win and hit in streaks. Let's hope we catch fire come playoff time and win the world series......

Everyone just keeps repeating the mantra. We have the best record in baseball and we dont need to change a thing.

This of course is until we end the season and start over in the playoffs. Then we will have home field advantage. Hopefully we can pull some home runs.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
I don't see how you don't see the difference between people ranting about how bad we are because we lost two of three to the Cubs and a thread about our hitting against good pitching in general.

Go read the Meltdown thread and tell me that same thing. The only thing being discussed in there for the last 4 pages is how bad our offense is and how we're f***ed when the playoffs roll around.

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
I think our offense will get together, it's really too early to judge that stuff. I know we had trouble hitting Elmer Dessens, but every team has their off days and the Sox seem to win and hit in streaks. Let's hope we catch fire come playoff time and win the world series......

We are coming up to the allstar break. I think the too early to judge is kinda over. We have faced some crappy teams over the last month. Everyone is all happy we beat up on the royals and a few other bad pitching teams and forget that our stats pretty much reveal what this team has done.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
Go read the Meltdown thread and tell me that same thing. The only thing being discussed in there for the last 4 pages is how bad our offense is and how we're f***ed when the playoffs roll around.

Go to the Jason Schmidt to the Sox thread and tell people to post in the All-Encompassing Trade thread. I don't see the problem here.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
We are coming up to the allstar break.  I think the too early to judge is kinda over. We have faced some crappy teams over the last month.  Everyone is all happy we beat up on the royals and a few other bad pitching teams and forget that our stats pretty much reveal what this team has done.

I'm with you man. We're gonna have to win every game 1-0 or 2-1. It's too much pressure on the pitching. I'm just worried is all.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
Go to the Jason Schmidt to the Sox thread and tell people to post in the All-Encompassing Trade thread. I don't see the problem here.

The Jason Schmidt thread was started before the Gigantic Trade thread. It's not the same thing, this is why PHT always gets all cloged up with 12 threads of the same subject.

Here I pulled a post from the Meltdown thread for you:

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
Well when your offense is ranked 20th in the majors in BA just above the mighty royals maybe its a credible thing to question our offense and how it will rate in the post season.  We are also 21st in the majors in OBP.  This is a problem when it comes to competing against top rate pitching.  We are basically the same softball offense as last year with 2 fast guys at the top.  If they get on its not a solo homer.  If they dont its a solo homer.

Ya, that's nothing like what this thread is about.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
I'm with you man. We're gonna have to win every game 1-0 or 2-1. It's too much pressure on the pitching. I'm just worried is all.

I have the stats in my sig that pretty much sum up a problem. We are either last or near dead last in singles, doubles and triples in the majors. The only stat that we are near the league lead is in homers. Our strikeouts are up from last year also. This does not project well into the playoffs. We need to start to shorten up the swings a bit, and go for contact more than just mashing the ball to mars. But when we put up a 10 spot on Jose Lima or Sergio Mitre people think the offense is ready for anyone.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)
The Jason Schmidt thread was started before the Gigantic Trade thread. It's not the same thing, this is why PHT always gets all cloged up with 12 threads of the same subject.

Here I pulled a post from the Meltdown thread for you:

Ya, that's nothing like what this thread is about.

Thanks, man. Let me know when you make Captain on the Thread Patrol Police.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
I have the stats in my sig that pretty much sum up a problem.  We are either last or near dead last in singles, doubles and triples in the majors.  The only stat that we are near the league lead is in homers.  Our strikeouts are up from last year also.  This does not project well into the playoffs.  We need to start to shorten up the swings a bit, and go for contact more than just mashing the ball to mars.   But when we put up a 10 spot on Jose Lima or Sergio Mitre  people think the offense is ready for anyone.

It's scary. We do take care of business against the weaker teams, and I'm not taking that for granted, because all you have to do is look at what the Yankees have done against the D-Rays and Royals to see how that can change a season.

It's just that I don't see what can be done to change it. For instance, if you only have two good starters, you go trade for a third one. If you lack bullpen depth, you go get a reliever.

But if your offense is inept against above-average to great pitching, what can you do? You can't get just ONE guy to fix it. It doesn't work that way. On the flip side, you can't overhaul the entire lineup either.

I guess all I can say is :huh

Edited by jerseysox

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
It's scary. We do take care of business against the weaker teams, and I'm not taking that for granted, because all you have to do is look at what the Yankees have done against the D-Rays and Royals to see how that can change a season.

It's just that I don't see what can be done to change it. For instance, if you only have two good starters, you go trade for a third one. If you lack bullpen depth, you go get a reliever.

But if you're offense is inept against above-average to great pitching, what can you do? You can't get just ONE guy to fix it. It doesn't work that way. On the flip side, you can't overhaul the entire lineup either.

I guess all I can say is  :huh

The only problem is the minute you mention making a trade everyone gets their panties in a bunch.

God forbid if you upgrade at 3rd or maybe dont want shingo or viz to come into a close game. You are betraying the best team in baseball.

I remember flying into the playoffs in 2000 with a good record and watching a team that pitched pretty well in the playoffs, but couldnt hit in them.

Our pitching has been great, but you still need to outscore the opposing team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
The only problem is the minute you mention making a trade everyone gets their panties in a bunch. 

God forbid if you upgrade at 3rd or maybe dont want shingo or viz to come into a close game.  You are betraying the best team in baseball. 

I remember flying into the playoffs in 2000 with a good record and watching a team that pitched pretty well in the playoffs, but couldnt hit in them. 

Our pitching has been great, but you still need to outscore the opposing team.

that year against the Mariners was a nightmare.

but even if we upgrade with say Joe Randa over Joe Crede, is that really going to make that big a difference? There isn't a move we can make that's going to add a couple of .330 hitters to our lineup.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
that year against the Mariners was a nightmare.

but even if we upgrade with say Joe Randa over Joe Crede, is that really going to make that big a difference? There isn't a move we can make that's going to add a couple of .330 hitters to our lineup.

We need that, plus we need Ozzie and Walk to sit down with the hitters and talk about a hitting strategy. Just having them swing for the fences all the time is getting out of hand. On 2 strikes with men in scoring position they should shorten up their swings and put the ball in play. Thats the whole idea of this speed team. You put the ball in play and maybe something happens. If you just K you have no chance. Things that concern me are when you have Rowand who has been a great hitter this season and last come into the Padre series and say hey I have been working on a new swing where I get out in front of the ball more so I can get more lift for power. This is after he brings his BA up to near 300. It has dropped since. AJ came here and the same thing, he was a oppo field hitter, he got away from that for a good month and is starting to get back to it. Our hitters need to play within their means, not everyone needs to be a power hitter. That is Konerko, Thomas and Dye. That is their jobs. Its not Joe Credes job to hit the ball to mars. Watching Uribe spin around like a top or tomahawk a pitch over his head. Its a few hitters and they need to corral it.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
We need that, plus we need Ozzie and Walk to sit down with the hitters and talk about a hitting strategy.  Just having them swing for the fences all the time is getting out of hand.  On 2 strikes with men in scoring position they should shorten up their swings and put the ball in play.  Thats the whole idea of this speed team.  You put the ball in play and maybe something happens.  If you just K you have no chance.

now seems to be the right time for them to have a nice team meeting about that kind of stuff...

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:32 AM)
We need that, plus we need Ozzie and Walk to sit down with the hitters and talk about a hitting strategy.  Just having them swing for the fences all the time is getting out of hand.  On 2 strikes with men in scoring position they should shorten up their swings and put the ball in play.  Thats the whole idea of this speed team.  You put the ball in play and maybe something happens.  If you just K you have no chance.

Well, I hope you're right. Something needs to happen.

Pleasure discussing this with you. I'm out of here.

p.s. I was thinking about starting a thread about what little work Dustin Hermanson has gotten lately, but it may have been discussed in the Meltdown thread, so I won't. Hate to upset anyone.

Night all!

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
Well, I hope you're right. Something needs to happen.

Pleasure discussing this with you. I'm out of here.

p.s. I was thinking about starting a thread about what little work Dustin Hermanson has gotten lately, but it may have been discussed in the Meltdown thread, so I won't. Hate to upset anyone.

Night all!

I was actually thinking about the weekend series and how I didn't see Dustin warm up or pitch at all. How has he done with lots of rest this year?

Besides Shilling and maybe Santana if the Twins make the playoffs Prior is easily better than any pitcher we will face in a playoff game. I do not see how it is a guarentee that we can't score more than 2 runs against Colon, we have scored more than that on him before and he certainly is not an ace that is certain to dominate the playoffs. Randy Johnson is average these days. Actually even Shilling is a question mark at this point.

We get shut down by a guy who literally could be the best pitcher in baseball, it isn't quite time to freak out this badly.

Also realize that in games two and three we will always have a big advantage in pitvching matchups. Sure we can get shut down but we could also have some big games where we score a lot. What you need is for guys to come up big in the playoffs, that is what decides the World Series every year.

Sure we could use another big bat, nbut that doesn't mean this team is totally incapable of scoring some runs against good pitching, becasue they are. It was just oen bad game.