Chicago IT job market

Stephen

Sox fan currently living in Dallas Texas. I'm looking to move to Chicago late next year or 2007. I love Chicago and i'm dying to get out of Texas. I'm an IT worker (6 years exp) and i'm trying to gauge the difficulty I'll have in getting a job up there. I check the job ad's at times, but it's hard to gauge the field through websites like monster.com. I thought i'd ask some residents to get a better gauge of the market.

Chicago is alot bigger than Dallas but that doesn't neccessarily translate to a larger IT job market. Example, Houston is bigger than Dallas, but there are more IT jobs here in Dallas. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the market is up there.

Also, what is the typical cost of a 1-bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood?

:gosox3:

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
Sox fan currently living in Dallas Texas. I'm looking to move to Chicago late next year or 2007. I love Chicago and i'm dying to get out of Texas. I'm an IT worker (6 years exp) and i'm trying to gauge the difficulty I'll have in getting a job up there.  I check the job ad's at times, but it's hard to gauge the field through websites like monster.com. I thought i'd ask some residents to get a better gauge of the market.

Chicago is alot bigger than Dallas but that doesn't neccessarily translate to a larger IT job market.  Example, Houston is bigger than Dallas, but there are more IT jobs here in Dallas.  So I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the market is up there. 

Also, what is the typical cost of a 1-bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood?

:gosox3:

I have no idea on the IT job market other than the IT department at my company makes mucho dinero..

But on the apartment thing.. you should probably have some sort of idea where you want to live before you look into the costs. Chicago is a big city.. and aside from that many who work in the city don't actually live in it so the cost of an apartment could swing as much as $700 to $1,000.

That is something I remember when I was stuck in Indiana looking in Chicago... if you want to live downtown it's crazy expensive, but you don't have to have a car. So, either way I guess you make do.

I love the city of Chicago - but I do know that October 15 - March 15, I'm glad I'm here. :)

Edit:

As far as IT goes, you will find that Dallas is a better market then Chicago, although Chicago you'd make a little more because there's less jobs (see supply and demand). It's easier to find an IT job here then it is up there, that much I can tell you for sure.

Good luck!

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
That is something I remember when I was stuck in Indiana looking in Chicago... if you want to live downtown it's crazy expensive, but you don't have to have a car. 

Depending on your lifestyle, you may or may not need one. Everyone I know that lives in the city has a car.

And again.. just because you live in the city doesn't mean you work there. Several of our IT guys live down there. FWIU there is not a big IT market in Downtown Chicago.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
Depending on your lifestyle, you may or may not need one. Everyone I know that lives in the city has a car.

And again.. just because you live in the city doesn't mean you work there. Several of our IT guys live down there. FWIU there is not a big IT market in Downtown Chicago.

Yeah I live in Indiana and commute to downtown everyday. The rents are WAY cheaper in the burbs, the farther you are willing to commute, the cheaper it is.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
Yeah I live in Indiana and commute to downtown everyday.  The rents are WAY cheaper in the burbs, the farther you are willing to commute, the cheaper it is.

Out here in Phoenix it's kind of like that too. It's all really, really spread out though in the valley, there's no real great city centre to speak of.

And my Dad's out here doing IT stuff for American Express at the moment, since there's nothing back down in Australia with a lot of Aussie Companies outsourcing because it's cheaper.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:09 AM)
Sorry for the off shoot, but why are you not Down Under, you crazy Aussie?!

Also, there are plenty of great places in the suburbs, just have to commute farther.  And it's not too hard to do by train.

3 week vacation (not holiday, there you go Alex :P). Trading winter for summer and loving it. :headbang

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:25 AM)
Now other then the Sox and summer, why in the HELL would you want to go back to Chicago from Dallas?  ;)

I absolutely hate Texas summers. Grew up in the hot, spend 3 years in the army stationed in the desert and now 100+ temps here in Dallas, no thanks. I love the cold and despise the heat. In fact, I usually take vacations in the winter to colder places like Colorado, New York, etc, lol, I'm weird like that. :D

Thanks for the input guys. I do have a car and commuting wouldn't be a problem. Dallas mass transit is awful, so you have to have a car here. With traffic, it takes me over hour to get to work (work in downtown Dallas) but without traffic, I can make it in 30 minutes. I may rent a car next trip up to Chicago so I can drive around and see if I can find an area that I like so I can have a better idea of where I want to move to.

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
I absolutely hate Texas summers. Grew up in the hot, spend 3 years in the army stationed in the desert and now 100+ temps here in Dallas, no thanks. I love the cold and despise the heat.  In fact, I usually take vacations in the winter to colder places like Colorado, New York, etc, lol, I'm weird like that.  :D

Thanks for the input guys. I do have a car and commuting wouldn't be a problem. Dallas mass transit is awful, so you have to have a car here. With traffic, it takes me over hour to get to work (work in downtown Dallas) but without traffic, I can make it in 30 minutes.  I may rent a car next trip up to Chicago so I can drive around and see if I can find an area that I like so I can have a better idea of where I want to move to.

Summers suck (this one is starting to - bad) but I woud rather live in this climate then Chicago's in the winter. I will say, though, that I miss the falls.

Where abouts do you live? We're within a stone's throw of Texas Motor Speedway...

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
Summers suck (this one is starting to - bad) but I woud rather live in this climate then Chicago's in the winter.  I will say, though, that I miss the falls.

Where abouts do you live?  We're within a stone's throw of Texas Motor Speedway...

I'm in Arlington about 2 miles down the street from Ameriquest field.

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
I'm in Arlington about 2 miles down the street from Ameriquest field.

cool. have to meet you out there one day for a game and a cold one.

you north or south of I-30? my wife works at 360 and avenue k (roughly).

:cheers

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 05:46 AM)

On a random sidenote, where is Oakbrook? The company I'm interning for has an office out there as well as in Chicago and I thought it could be nice to try and get a gig out there for a couple weeks. But thats only if Oakbrook is close enough to Chicago.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
On a random sidenote, where is Oakbrook?  The company I'm interning for has an office out there as well as in Chicago and I thought it could be nice to try and get a gig out there for a couple weeks.  But thats only if Oakbrook is close enough to Chicago.

Disregard that. It's a little further out. SHould be a metra line close. Map it

Actually, I think the closest line is my metra line, the Aurora line, maybe hinsdale stop?

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
Disregard that. It's a little further out. SHould be a metra line close. Map it

Actually, I think the closest line is my metra line, the Aurora line, maybe hinsdale stop?

Thanks Chisoxy

Just mapquested it and its like 19 miles, which isn't bad. Of course I don't know which part of Chicago thats from, but anyone know if there are some good prices on housing out there?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Thanks Chisoxy

Just mapquested it and its like 19 miles, which isn't bad.  Of course I don't know which part of Chicago thats from, but anyone know if there are some good prices on housing out there?

I don't know what good would be to you. But I would be surprised if you found a decent apartment below $600/mo. That's the going rate by my parents and they're actually out a tiny bit further. I would check apartments.com or somehting like that to get a feel for how much it'll cost you. You might also find some tips on it on the City website or the Trib or Suntimes adverts.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
On a random sidenote, where is Oakbrook?  The company I'm interning for has an office out there as well as in Chicago and I thought it could be nice to try and get a gig out there for a couple weeks.  But thats only if Oakbrook is close enough to Chicago.

Route 83 and 22nd is where most of the businesses are. Not to far at all from the Cell. Maybe 30 minutes.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Thanks Chisoxy

Just mapquested it and its like 19 miles, which isn't bad.  Of course I don't know which part of Chicago thats from, but anyone know if there are some good prices on housing out there?

Jason.. I have some stuff at the office. I'll email you later with some details.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
cool.  have to meet you out there one day for a game and a cold one.

you north or south of I-30?  my wife works at 360 and avenue k (roughly).

:cheers

Most definately. :cheers

North. I live off of Greenoaks.

Were you at any of the Sox games last month? I missed the Friday game that Bmac got shelled in and then sat in the drizzle for 5 hours waiting the Saturday game out only to have it postponed. So I only got to see the Sunday game and unfortunately, that game was brutal.

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
Most definately.  :cheers 

North. I live off of Greenoaks.

Were you at any of the Sox games last month? I missed the Friday game that Bmac got shelled in and then sat in the drizzle for 5 hours waiting the Saturday game out only to have it postponed. So I only got to see the Sunday game and unfortunately, that game was brutal.

I went Sunday as well. You're right, it was brutal. I think Garland still has a crook in the back of his neck from turning and watching that Mench shot. :lol:

I used to work on Industrial right south of 183 in Euless. Went to Al's Hamburgers quite a bit for lunch. Sounds like you're pretty close to there.

I'll be at a game or two in August when they come back. We'll have to hook up then, if not before.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
I went Sunday as well.  You're right, it was brutal.  I think Garland still has a crook in the back of his neck from turning and watching that Mench shot.  :lol:

I used to work on Industrial right south of 183 in Euless.  Went to Al's Hamburgers quite a bit for lunch.  Sounds like you're pretty close to there.

I'll be at a game or two in August when they come back.  We'll have to hook up then, if not before.

I live less than a mile from Al's hamburgers. Pretty good food there.

Sounds good to me. I'll pm you some contact information before the end of the day. I plan on trying to make the games in August but I know one of them is a day game and I haven't come up with a plan to get that day off. Seeing how I just took a week off last month makes it difficult for me to get time off as I haven't been here at my current job long enough to earn vacation.