BMac to start Wednesday against Detroit

bjm676

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Trib article...

Ball in McCarthy's hands

Rookie to face Tigers; Hernandez likely out until All-Star break

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

The White Sox have adjusted their rotation by naming rookie Brandon McCarthy to start Wednesday at Detroit with the increasing possibility Orlando Hernandez could be sidelined at least until the All-Star break.

Hernandez, who had hoped to be activated from the 15-day disabled list to pitch Friday at Oakland, threw Sunday for only the second time since being sidelined with tightness in his left shoulder.

But the Sox are bringing him along slowly to ensure his health. Hernandez played catch with disabled Ross Gload "to get a barometer," trainer Herm Schneider said.

Hernandez will accompany the Sox on their six-game trip that starts Tuesday in Detroit and ends Sunday in Oakland, but he merely will throw long toss.

"We're going to go a little slow with him," Schneider said.

Hernandez has a 7-2 record, but he has pitched only 62 2/3 innings because of right shoulder ailments.

Although the Sox declined to name their rotation past the Detroit series, McCarthy should make at least two starts and maybe three before the end of the first half.

His performance could dictate whether the Sox elect to trade for a starting pitcher, but McCarthy said he's not worried about what the future holds for him.

"We're going to finish the best we can to finish the first half," manager Ozzie Guillen said.

McCarthy, 21, hasn't pitched since last Monday, when he failed to hold a pair of four-run leads and lasted only 42/3 innings in the Sox's 11-8 victory over Kansas City.

The Sox moved McCarthy from the rotation to the bullpen because they had two off days during a five-day stretch and didn't want two pitchers getting as many as seven days' rest between starts.

"I'd rather worry about one guy than worry about four guys," Guillen said. "With seven days' rest, you can get in trouble. Besides that, pitchers have an excuse when they're not pitching well (on seven days' rest)."

Since limiting the Cubs to two runs on four hits in 5 1/3 innings in his major-league debut on May 22, McCarthy has been tagged for 12 runs in 92/3 innings.

The inserting of McCarthy into the rotation means Freddy Garcia (7-3) will get an extra day of rest and pitch the series finale Thursday at Detroit.

If staff ace Mark Buehrle (9-1) remains on four days' rest, he would make his final start of the first half on July 8 in Game 1 against Oakland and be fresh enough to pitch in the All-Star Game.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)

Well the kids is pitching in a pitchers park up in Comerica. He better keep the ball down. That lineup can lace the ball like crazy. This start should really tell us where he is. I think this start will also tell KW if he needs to go and get someone.

I'm glad we are being really patient with Duque. Even if we were to SOMEHOW blow some of this division lead (by the Twins getting hot or by us slumping badly), I think it's a given that this team is going to win 90+ and make the playoffs. Sorry, folks, I'm just not pessimistic about that, no matter how tough our August is.

I'd rather throw BMac into the fire five times against these mediocre-to-bad teams like the Ordonez-less Tigers, Rays, and A's and see what he's made of. Maybe he needs a few starts to work some things out at this level, and then who knows....maybe he'll emerge THIS year. We have the luxury of being able to play with some things mid-season and see what works....let's use that to our advantage.

Also, we absolutely NEED Duque in October. We don't necessarily need him right now. We just reeled off an eight gamer with him on the DL. Let's get him plenty of rest and use him when we need him...in mid August and down the stretch.

B Mac is not a Major League pitcher right now. In fact he's doing his best Felix Diaz imitation. I sure hope he proves me wrong because I expect little from El Duque the rest of the year. I think old age has caught up with him and he is nearing the end of the line. I've enjoyed this team as much or more than most, but the fact is we could use another serviceable and dependable arm and I think KW knows this.

B Mac is not a Major League pitcher right now. In fact he's doing his best Felix Diaz imitation. I sure hope he proves me wrong because I expect little from El Duque the rest of the year. I think old age has caught up with him and he is nearing the end of the line. I've enjoyed this team as much or more than most, but the fact is we could use another serviceable and dependable arm and I think KW knows this.

Totally agree. They will have to nurse El Duque through this year and next healthwise.

IMO they have Brandon starting Wed. because they haven't been able to land anyone else. I truly believe the Sox have great faith in McCarthy long term but he's just an emergency guy for right now. It would be great if he struts his stuff vs. Detroit and 7/4 vs. Tampa but even if he does I still think KW does something.

They should give El Duque all of July off in my opinion. Then give him a rehab start and bring him back in mid-August for 8 or 9 starts through the end of the regular season.

Last I looked, with the off days the 5th started was needed only 3 games in July, and I'd happily give those to McCarthy to see if he could come close to his first outing in Wrigley. Heck, if McCarthy can pitch .500 ball in the 5 hole, I'd rest El Duque until September.

If McCarthy is up with the big club, then he needs to start every fifth day. Period. Otherwise get somebody who can take the 5th starter's spot and send him down.

McCarthy gains nothing from sitting on the bench most of July, except for the occasional spot start.

Now, if we're allowing him to take a long relief role, then somebody else can be sent down....

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
I will continue to hope that one of these days the BMac from spring training will suddenly emerge...

yeah i cant say i saw that bmac yet this year except for maybe at the cubs game, seems like every time he gets a lead he blows it or our bullpen does

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
If McCarthy is up with the big club, then he needs to start every fifth day. Period. Otherwise get somebody who can take the 5th starter's spot and send him down.

McCarthy gains nothing from sitting on the bench most of July, except for the occasional spot start.

I think Bmac may benefit a lot from riding with the club in July and getting the spot start. It strikes me his issue isn't physical but mental, but he needed a bit of a physical breather to get his pitching head back in the game. I expect a solid effort against Detroit, and I hope Ozzie doesn't baby him like he did against the Cubs.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
Well the kids is pitching in a pitchers park up in Comerica.  He better keep the ball down.  That lineup can lace the ball like crazy.  This start should really tell us where he is.  I think this start will also tell KW if he needs to go and get someone.

They can, but they're not as good as they may be seen. They don't take any walks as a bunch at all, and swing at a lot at balls out of the zone. B-Mac just needs to keep the ball down, and he can work around the plate a little, and they'll probably chase some balls.

It's good to see Freddy pitching in a day game too, that's where he's had his most success this season. Big ballpark, day game, he should pitch a good game (but I said the same about Bonderman yesterday before he got hammered). :lol:

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
yeah i cant say i saw that bmac yet this year except for maybe at the cubs game, seems like every time he gets a lead he blows it or our bullpen does

I still say that the pitch he's missing is his changeup.

If he gets that pitch back to where it was in the Spring, no one will hit him. Without it, he's a 2 pitch pitcher with a decent curve ball and an average fastball.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
El Duque is shaky as hell but I have no face in McCarthy getting a W.  The Tigers' lineup is a hell of a lot better than the Royals' lineup.

Doesn't matter which of them started... will most likely be a loss either way.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 07:07 AM)
El Duque is shaky as hell but I have no face in McCarthy getting a W.  The Tigers' lineup is a hell of a lot better than the Royals' lineup.

He is also pitching at Comerica, and the Tigers haven't been scoring that many runs lately, they don't take walks and strike out a lot. Vargas, who nobody would have given a chance last night, made them look very, very silly.

This wouldn't be the White Sox if we didn't have an automatic loss every 5th day. This is just the season returning to normal. Now we will see if the Sox can absorb that loss every 5th day because I have no hope for BMAC finding it this season.

As much as I hate watching him pitch around guys repeatedly, get healthy soon El Duque. :pray

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 07:44 AM)
We shall see.  I don't have high hopes.

Gotta remember, Detroit's pen hasn't been that great either so hopefully we can get to them early in the series.

If B-Mac can throw the change for strikes, and establish his curve, and leave his fastball down in the zone, he'll pitch well in my mind. Don't give up on him because his last 2 or 3 starts haven't been great, gotta remember how well he threw in his MLB debut against the Flubs.