Burnett to the Orioles?

jackie hayes

Link. Basically, the trade would be

Daniel Cabrera/Hayden Penn + Jorge Julio + Larry Bigbie

for

Burnett (+ Encarnacion, maybe)

Well, that would give the O's 1 reliable starter.

For Florida, that's quite a risk. I like Julio and Bigbie, but each young starter is quite a risk, each having been rushed up when the O's (predictably) desperately needed a starter. As good as Dontrelle has been, it will be tough for them to win now without an AJ Burnett in the rotation. Beckett's just a crapshoot, healthwise.

The Orioles have to hope they can sign Burnett, when they haven't had much success signing free agents since Tejada. And of course Burnett has his own health issues. Plus, their bullpen has been having problems, so losing Julio will hurt.

Overall impressions? My first reaction is that it's good deal for the Orioles, a risk they absolutely need to take. I think Florida could probably do better, and I'm not sure why they would want to make this deal.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
If they would accept Beckett in there instead of Burnett, I would do it if I'm Florida. Burnett has too electric of stuff to trade.

Burnett's an unrestricted fa at the end of the season, while the Marlins control Beckett for a couple more years, I believe.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)
Burnett would be worth the prospects and a new contract.

So what prospects would you give up for him, and how much would you resign Burnett for? (think supply and demand for FA MLB quality SP's).

So what prospects would you give up for him, and how much would you resign Burnett for? (think supply and demand for FA MLB quality SP's).

McCarthy, Sweeney, etc. The Sox are having their best season in a long time. Do whatever it takes to win this year. I'd rather give Burnett $9 million a year than Konerko and have Gload as our starting 1st baseman honestly.

Edited by Jabroni

One further question -- if Florida gets Julio, or if they're shopping for a reliever similar to Julio, does that mean they're preparing to trade Mota? Mota's supposedly been unhappy as a setup guy, and his name came up in the Fuentes trade talks (although his was the name that nixed it, reportedly). Thoughts?

One further question -- if Florida gets Julio, or if they're shopping for a reliever similar to Julio, does that mean they're preparing to trade Mota?  Mota's supposedly been unhappy as a setup guy, and his name came up in the Fuentes trade talks (although his was the name that nixed it, reportedly).  Thoughts?

No. The Rockies wanted Mota in a deal for Fuentes and the Marlins balked at the request. They want to keep Mota and add another quality reliever.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
No.  The Rockies wanted Mota in a deal for Fuentes and the Marlins balked at the request.  They want to keep Mota and add another quality reliever.

Right. But Fuentes is a quality reliever. So you replace Mota w/ Julio as a rh setup guy, then pick up Fuentes as a lh reliever.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
McCarthy, Sweeney, etc.  The Sox are having their best season in a long time.  Do whatever it takes to win this year.  I'd rather give Burnett $9 million a year than Konerko and have Gload as our starting 1st baseman honestly.

Ok let's see here. Payroll goes up each season about 8 to 10 mill (Steff and Mike know more about this than I do).

You trade for Burnett and give up Anderson and McCarthy plus a fringe prospect. You have 6 pitchers under contract for next season, and Burnett WILL get more than $9 million. Why? Because some team like Detroit will be desperate to improve their team anyway possible and will offer him a huge deal e.g Maggs, so they can get him. Now if Burnett DID sign for $9m which he won't, here's how much we have tied up in our pitchers for next season;

Buerhle - About $7.5 million

Garcia - $9 million

Contreras - About $6 to 8 million

Hernandez - $4 million

Burnett - $9 million

Garland - About 4 to $6 million from a new deal.

All up that's approx. $41.5 million for 6 guys in a starting rotation. That's about 50% of your payroll right there, leaving the other 50% for the lineup and bullpen.

Konerko goes who do you sign to replace his production? If Anderson is traded now, he can't go to RF next season so Dye can move to 1B.

Gotta remember with all of this win now mentality for the playoffs. We could only need 3 or 4 guys in our rotation to use. That's Buerhle, Garcia and Garland, with Contreras as the 4th guy.

Ok let's see here. Payroll goes up each season about 8 to 10 mill (Steff and Mike know more about this than I do).

You trade for Burnett and give up Anderson and McCarthy plus a fringe prospect. You have 6 pitchers under contract for next season, and Burnett WILL get more than $9 million. Why? Because some team like Detroit will be desperate to improve their team anyway possible and will offer him a huge deal e.g Maggs, so they can get him. Now if Burnett DID sign for $9m which he won't, here's how much we have tied up in our pitchers for next season;

Buerhle - About $7.5 million

Garcia - $9 million

Contreras - About $6 to 8 million

Hernandez - $4 million

Burnett - $9 million

Garland - About 4 to $6 million from a new deal.

All up that's approx. $41.5 million for 6 guys in a starting rotation. That's about 50% of your payroll right there, leaving the other 50% for the lineup and bullpen.

Konerko goes who do you sign to replace his production? If Anderson is traded now, he can't go to RF next season so Dye can move to 1B.

Gotta remember with all of this win now mentality for the playoffs. We could only need 3 or 4 guys in our rotation to use. That's Buerhle, Garcia and Garland, with Contreras as the 4th guy.

The article says that the Marlins would want a "left-handed hitting outfielder." That would be Sweeney if they want a prospect. If we still have Brian Anderson, he could start in RF and Dye could be converted to a 1st baseman. By the way, do you really want to trust Contreras in the playoffs?

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
The article says that the Marlins would want a "left-handed hitting outfielder."  That would be Sweeney if they want a prospect.  If we still have Brian Anderson, he could start in RF and Dye could be converted to a 1st baseman.  By the way, do you really want to trust Contreras in the playoffs?

Well the Marlins don't want a prospect. They have already have some good OF's in their systen.

Do you think McCarthy and Sweeney would be enough or giving up too much for Burnett though, especially if we can't re-sign him?

Well the Marlins don't want a prospect. They have already have some good OF's in their systen.

Do you think McCarthy and Sweeney would be enough or giving up too much for Burnett though, especially if we can't re-sign him?

Well, the Marlins would also want a reliever. I think it would be worth it only if we resigned him. If we couldn't resign him, I wouldn't make the trade.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
The article says that the Marlins would want a "left-handed hitting outfielder."  That would be Sweeney if they want a prospect.  If we still have Brian Anderson, he could start in RF and Dye could be converted to a 1st baseman.  By the way, do you really want to trust Contreras in the playoffs?

The article does say that they want "three major-league parts", which dqs Sweeney, Anderson, and McCarthy. Though Penn is just kinda sorta "major-league" anyway.

Rotoworld.com:

According to TSN's Ken Rosenthal, the Marlins are engaged in preliminary discussions about A.J. Burnett with the Orioles and an undisclosed American League club.

At least for now, Florida would only trade Burnett with the intention of still contending this year. They'd want to also move Juan Encarnacion in the deal and get a young starting pitcher, a setup man and a left-handed hitting outfielder. Rosenthal suggests that the Orioles could part with Daniel Cabrera or Hayden Penn, Jorge Julio and Larry Bigbie for Burnett and Encarnacion.

Would the Sox be willing to give up BMac, Marte/Shingo/JizzCan, and Everett for Burnett and Encarnacion?

Granted Encarnacion's contract is a really crappy one, Burnett is a stud. He's got an ERA of 3.14, 5-5 record, and has already pitched 103 innings. A rotation with 4 horses is virtually impossible to find. What do you guys think of this guy?