Winston Salem OFF

Kannapolis OFF

Bristol @ Bluefield

F. Viola (0-0, 9.82)

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/st...brirok_blurok_1

Great Falls @ Billings

E. Everly (0-0, 2.25)

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/st...grfrok_bilrok_1

Wow the Bristol game was interesting. No score through 9 innings, Bristol scores 2 in the top of the 10th to take the lead, Bluefield pormptly ties it with 2 in the bottom of 10, and scores one in the 11th to win 3-2.

Obviously not a lot of hitting for the BriSox but of note, Frank Viola Jr. throws 5 innings of one hit baseball, striking out 8. I'm sure dad is proud. Former Sox 1B Mike Squires son Steve takes the loss in relief for Bristol.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Wow the Bristol game was interesting.  No score through 9 innings, Bristol scores 2 in the top of the 10th to take the lead, Bluefield pormptly ties it with 2 in the bottom of 10, and scores one in the 11th to win 3-2.

Obviously not a lot of hitting for the BriSox but of note, Frank Viola Jr. throws 5 innings of one hit baseball, striking out 8.  I'm sure dad is proud.  Former Sox 1B Mike Squires son Steve takes the loss in relief for Bristol.

49th round pick, even his local paper that I read made it sound like the pick was a favor to the family. RE: Squires.

Great Falls is losing 2-0 in the 5th. Of note is recent draftee Chris Getz is playing SS instead of his usual 2B and last year's 5th round pick, big 1B Brandon Allen continues his torrid start ... tonite he has a hit and two walks in 3 plate appearances and is hitting a nifty .435 .

Barons 16 Carolina 4

W- Haeger (2-0) L- Johnson (7-4)

Barons hammered another top rated prospect Johnson to the tune of 10 Runs 13 Hits in 3 1/3. 3 hit games for Owens, Rogo, Young, Gray. 2 hit games for Blakely and Aceves. Multi RBI games for Aceves (2), Owens (2), Rogo (3) and Blakely (4). Every Baron had a hit including subs Cory Haggerty, Andy Gonzalez. Jerry Owens also had 2 steals in the game. Charlie Haeger pitched a great ball game 7 innings 1 Run allowed walked only 1 K'd 5. Also showed a decent move to first picking of speedster Eric Reed. B.J. LaMura continues to show no clue as to pitching with a 16-1 and walking hitters falling behind hitters. Barons tonight collects season high hits (21) Runs (16)

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Of note is recent draftee Chris Getz is playing SS instead of his usual 2B

Getz played 2B in his debut, but has shifted to SS since. He was project as a SS out of the draft. I don't see how the guy was a 2B in college yet projected to SS in the pros. Anybody know why he was projected as a SS? Why would he play the easier position in college and then shift to the harder one in the pros?

Young is 11-17 (.647) with 4 HR, 4 doubles, 8 RBI, 7 R, and a walk in his last 4 games.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:01 AM)
Getz played 2B in his debut, but has shifted to SS since. He was project as a SS out of the draft. I don't see how the guy was a 2B in college yet projected to SS in the pros. Anybody know why he was projected as a SS? Why would he play the easier position in college and then shift to the harder one in the pros?

Young is 11-17 (.647) with 4 HR, 4 doubles, 8 RBI, 7 R, and a walk in his last 4 games.

From what I know he has tremendous range and a strong arm so that's why he's projectible as a shortstop, as for why he played second in college I have no clue.

EDIT: I also find it weird that he's hitting 3rd in the lineup, I think of him more as a 1 or 2 hole hitter.

Edited by Rowand44