War of the Worlds..

Steff

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Suffer? Wow. The original is very compelling.

Especially when you consider how far ahead of its time it was. It is easy to pass judgement on a movie like that today, but that was literally leapyears past any sci-fi people had every seen or heard back them.

The movie was groundbreaking stuff. It was the Star Wars of its generation.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 07:52 AM)
Especially when you consider how far ahead of its time it was.  It is easy to pass judgement on a movie like that today, but that was literally leapyears past any sci-fi people had every seen or heard back them.

The movie was groundbreaking stuff.  It was the Star Wars of its generation.

Sure. All true. The first time I saw PLanet of the Apes was in school and a lot of people hated it. I just sat there with my mouth wide open. Riveting stuff!

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
Sure. All true. The first time I saw PLanet of the Apes was in school and a lot of people hated it. I just sat there with my mouth wide open. Riveting stuff!

Planet Of The Apes is still a riveting film and it's perfection was easily shown thanks to the abomination that Tim Burton made using the same name.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Planet Of The Apes is still a riveting film and it's perfection was easily shown thanks to the abomination that Tim Burton made using the same name.

God, I wanted to puke after seeing that. I'll probably feel the same after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
God, I wanted to puke after seeing that. I'll probably feel the same after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

This version of Charlie is supposed to be MUCH closer to the authors original intent. It was supposed to be a much more dark film, and not nearly as cutesy at they made it into.

I am really looking forward to that as well. Just from the previews Depp seems like a solid Wonka.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
This version of Charlie is supposed to be MUCH closer to the authors original intent.  It was supposed to be a much more dark film, and not nearly as cutesy at they made it into.

I am really looking forward to that as well.  Just from the previews Depp seems like a solid Wonka.

I don't care what the author's intent was. It'll ruin the original for me. :angry:

Can you guys tell me the reason why there are a lot of peoples hate Tom Cruise, majority being man? Is it because of his divorce with Nicole Kidman? Is it because of his high-pitched voice? Not only on this site, I've come across a lot of people who do not have the "love" for this man at all! Wonder why?

As for me, I will watch the 2005 War of the Worlds on DVD whenever it comes out.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
He's a great actor! Especially in that one movie where he plays the young cocky guy!!!  :D  :P

Yaeah, that was Top Gun... no wait, it was Days of Thunder, er.. no, Cocktail.... I mean Risky Business... no, wait... :bang :bang

I never gave him any credit as an actor until Born on the 4th of July and Rainman. But, no, range and versatility are not among his strong suits.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
Yaeah, that was Top Gun... no wait, it was Days of Thunder, er.. no, Cocktail.... I mean Risky Business... no, wait...  :bang  :bang

I never gave him any credit as an actor until Born on the 4th of July and Rainman.  But, no, range and versatility are not among his strong suits.

I hated all the movies he did before Born on the 4th.. but after seeing his performance in it I watched a few of the others and realized that it was a bit difficult to play such a dork. I absolutely loved Minority Report and that one he just did with Jamie Fox (of which I can not recall the name of to save my life here... grrr). I'm looking forward to this one. Moreso because of Dakota Fanning. IMO, she is one hell of a child actress.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
I hated all the movies he did before Born on the 4th.. but after seeing his performance in it I watched a few of the others and realized that it was a bit difficult to play such a dork. I absolutely loved Minority Report and that one he just did with Jamie Fox (of which I can not recall the name of to save my life here... grrr). I'm looking forward to this one. Moreso because of Dakota Fanning. IMO, she is one hell of a child actress.

Collateral. Just saw it this weekend and thought it was decent. I really liked Minoritty Report as well, and I also quite liked the Last Samauri, even though it strongly suggests Tom's pretentiousness and is now bordering on a Kevin Kostner level.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)

Collateral is one hell of a movie. I absolutely love that movie. I've watched it over four times! Crazy me! And Tom was good in that movie.

Didn't Dakota Fanning star in Man On Fire with Denzel Washington? She is so cute and acts pretty well.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
She is so cute and acts pretty well.

She is annoying as f*** in any interview she has ever done.

Opposite day?

tomdak.jpg

She was supposedly on his list of actresses to marry but she turned him down too...

I saw the movie and I loved it, dont know why all the cruise hating is going on he is a pretty good actor especially lately it seems his movies have been better.

Oh and that water accident he had was so dumb, he looked like he was completely calm to me and just a little ticked off he got sprayed with water when he was doing a complete stranger a favor. And now the media makes him look like he completely spazzed out or something.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 03:56 AM)
I saw the movie and I loved it, dont know why all the cruise hating is going on he is a pretty good actor especially lately it seems his movies have been better.

Have you been under a rock the last while, um, the last 15 years?

I just saw this film last night. It was great.

This isn't fuzzy Spielberg who gave us Hook and ET.

This is down and dirty Spielberg. He is showing us a genocide. A brutal attack without remorse.

There are no cocky pilots or computer viruses to upload. We are not privy to what the President thinks, there are no sappy images of children running in front posters of JFK.

...This is about one man, one very flawed man, acting on his own insticts...to save his family at all costs.

Spielberg keeps his camera at ground level throughout most of the movie. There are no "money shots" of huge CGI scenes of cities being blown up. You are made to feel you are in the chaos. People turning into ash in front of your face. This is a war. This is about fear.

Tom Cruise is fantastic. His character is that Frat Boy whose life has past him by...

He wasted his opportunities. Dakota Fanning is scary good. This girl is only 11, she must be a robot. And the Tripods...badass motherf***ers!

This is not a remake of George Pal's version. This is a modern look at HG Wells story, just as Pal's was in his time.

All three are allegories for the World we were living in...

I give it two fingers way up! :headbang

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
This version of Charlie is supposed to be MUCH closer to the authors original intent.  It was supposed to be a much more dark film, and not nearly as cutesy at they made it into.

I am really looking forward to that as well.  Just from the previews Depp seems like a solid Wonka.

I can't wait for this movie to come out. After the only commercial I saw for this movie, I HAVE TO SEE IT!!! It had something to do with Willie Wonka telling someone not to touch the squirrels' nuts and cut to a shot of a squirrel b**** slapping someone. I was dying after seeing that clip.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
I can't wait for this movie to come out.  After the only commercial I saw for this movie, I HAVE TO SEE IT!!!  It had something to do with Willie Wonka telling someone not to touch the squirrels' nuts and cut to a shot of a squirrel b**** slapping someone.  I was dying after seeing that clip.

Thats from the original book.

The Gene Wilder movie changed the squirrels into Geese that lay golden eggs.

In the book (and I guess the new movie) the Squirrel's are sorting good nuts from bad nuts....Veruca Salt is a bad nut. :D

Edited by RibbieRubarb