War of the Worlds..

Steff

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
I was thrilled with George Romero and his 4th part with the wonderful Land Of The Dead,  But man, this film just CRUSHED those other two films, and to say that about Land is HIGH praise!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but you liked Land of the Dead? That movie was flat out bad, I mean seeing zombies own people is cool but the actual movie was horrible especially the end when they decided not to kill the remaining zombies, that movie is no where close to as good as War of the Worlds... on a scale of 1 to 10 1 being the worse and 10 the best

Land of the Dead 2-3

War of the Worlds 9-10

Star Wars Revenge of the Sith 7-8

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, considering that I feel Dawn Of The Dead is the greatest movie ever made, I might be a little bit biased towards Land, but regardless, yes, I loved the movie. My only complaint was that we didn;t get more of the life inside of Fiddlers Green, but word has it there will be a little bit more of this in the DVD release. The problem Romero has is that his vision for his zombie films is so HUGE that he can't achieve it within the constraints of the budgets he is allowed, and he tries to appease the Gorehounds out there along with the people that fell for his movies for their social commentary and character depth. Few films out there can touch his stuff for either the gore (Dawn Of The Dead and Day Of The Dead) or the character depth (Night Of The Living Dead and Dawn Of The Dead being two examples), so now he has to try and pull that off every time. I loved Land for finally getting another Romero zombie flick on the big screen, for getting another Romero film in general (he's one of the nicest guys in the world and one of the most down to earth guys out there, plus straight up honest), and for the ideas executed in the film.

I also don't think the movie "sucks" at all, and it is not blind devotion that lead me to love it. It is simply that everything is solid within the film, it was just missing some elements. I loved the characters again, I loved the FX, I loved the ideas, I also loved the look.

But hey, if you didn't like it, that's cool! :fight

But yeah, I agree with your ranking of War Of The Worlds being that high. What an amazing film that was!!! So, lets go bowling and then watch War, we'll skip Land. :D

Well as far as his other movies are concerned they were great, I mean he was the one who really started the zombie movie madness and his other movies were awesome...... but this one the characters werent that great and the whole movie just was done kind of poorly, also for the not diehard fans it doesnt even tell you how the zombies came about just said they came basicly.

Also the main zombie was always in the front but never got shot or anything? And 1 vehicle being so powerful it can take out the whole city and basicly the whole zombie infestation? Why not just kill all the zombies in the town in the 1st place?

Romero still has yet to tell us where the zombies came from. Since Night Of The Living Dead he has kept us in the dark with that one.

Plus, this is the 4th film, I think he is hoping people would have done their homework by now. The basic stuff is there, not just for the diehard fans, but for everybody. Yes, you more or less need to have seen atleast one of the others to understand the basics, but there was no major plot point being carried over, aside from the dead have returned and that they are getting smarter. The getting smarter aspect was the entire film Day Of The Dead.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 05:25 AM)
Romero still has yet to tell us where the zombies came from. Since Night Of The Living Dead he has kept us in the dark with that one.

Plus, this is the 4th film, I think he is hoping people would have done their homework by now. The basic stuff is there, not just for the diehard fans, but for everybody. Yes, you more or less need to have seen atleast one of the others to understand the basics, but there was no major plot point being carried over, aside from the dead have returned and that they are getting smarter. The getting smarter aspect was the entire film Day Of The Dead.

Yeah but as a whole the zombies really didnt get smarter, it was one zombie that basicly led them all... and It doesnt even explain how the zombies become smarter, did something happen to it or what? And like ive said earlier the one zombie was leading the way but he was never shot or anything is kind of bs and if they had a vehicle so powerful why not wipe out the zombies in the first place and why have only 1. Also the zombies walked really slow but somehow they were catching up to people and owning them, in reality they prob wouldnt of caught any in the mall until the end when they were all trapped at the fence.

Basicly the whole story sucked for the film and nothing really made sense, also the characters werent nearly as good as they were in past films and than the ending was the definite worse. The zombies are just looking for a place to live so lets not kill them? Even though they just killed thousands of humans and took away the human's home.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
Yeah but as a whole the zombies really didnt get smarter, it was one zombie that basicly led them all... and It doesnt even explain how the zombies become smarter, did something happen to it or what?  And like ive said earlier the one zombie was leading the way but he was never shot or anything is kind of bs and if they had a vehicle so powerful why not wipe out the zombies in the first place and why have only 1.  Also the zombies walked really slow but somehow they were catching up to people and owning them, in reality they prob wouldnt of caught any in the mall until the end when they were all trapped at the fence.

Basicly the whole story sucked for the film and nothing really made sense, also the characters werent nearly as good as they were in past films and than the ending was the definite worse.  The zombies are just looking for a place to live so lets not kill them?  Even though they just killed thousands of humans and took away the human's home.

IMHO.

The zombies started to get smarter at the end of "Day of the Dead" -- and Romero never states how far the time is between the end of Day and the beginning of Land. The zombies learned to adapt which you can even see in "Night" when they break the car lights out because they think it is fire. Plus, I think it was also a means of social commentary that one leader who knows how to do something can get a mass group behind him to undertake certain efforts.

And the reason for just one vehicle -- SPOILER alert

Kaufman never had any intent in protecting the public -- he just wanted to save his own ass. Remember, he doesn't want Cholo living in the Green and even calls him a s***. Hence, he didn't want to spend a ton of money on more Dead Reckonings especially when it cost so much money to make one in the first place. They could have tried to wipe out the zombies in the first place, but they never know where they all are. When Cholo and them are raiding the shop, there is the hidden zombie behind the desk that bites the one guy who eventually blows his head off. Plus, the zombies are a pandemic around the world. It would be impossible for them all to be killed as the zombies would eventually make their way to where there was food (i.e. people) as we've learned from all the other Romero movies. As for catching them while walking slow. It was mass hysteria -- people falling over each other, etc. etc. Odds are during a mass evacuation some people are going to get caught by the zombies, especially ones weilding clubs and stuff.

As for the ending -- I think that Riley sees himself in the zombies. He is a traveler as well who wanted revenge against Kaufman as did the zombies. Riley is trying to save himself and those close to him and simply wants to be a traveler. You can kind of see it in the earlier line of: Mike: They're pretending to be alive... Riley: Isn't that what we're doing? Pretending to be alive?

I think the reason he doesn't blow them away with the missiles is because he sees so much of himself in Big Daddy.

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
Just saw W of W and  :puke .  what a terrible ending, ruined the whole movie for me.

I was digging it. No real story, just a bunch of cool effects and suspense, but than it seemed like it just ended. I still don't know how what happened happened...trying to refrain from saying what actually happened.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
Just checked moviepooper.com. Now it makes sense, but is lame.

you 2 obviously never saw the original or read the book :puke .... Guys anyone who knew anything about the movie knew it would end that way and to be honest I think its an awesome ending. Im sorry not everything needs to end with us nuking them or something like that......

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
you 2 obviously never saw the original or read the book  :puke .... Guys anyone who knew anything about the movie knew it would end that way and to be honest I think its an awesome ending.  Im sorry not everything needs to end with us nuking them or something like that......

In the original WoW story the Aliens all die from airborne bacteria. This followed the original story perfectly.

I just got back from the theater and I'd have to give it an 8 out of 10. I cheered out loud when that infantry squad took out the alien drone at the end of the flick but then I was let down by the ending. Funny how this nice area in Boston is perfectly intact while the rest of the city was flattened by the aliens. Then, of course, Tom Cruises wife and her parents come out of the house looking like armaggedon bypassed them totally. BLAH. There was plenty of carnage to go around, however, so I was pleased.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
you 2 obviously never saw the original or read the book  :puke .... Guys anyone who knew anything about the movie knew it would end that way and to be honest I think its an awesome ending.  Im sorry not everything needs to end with us nuking them or something like that......

The only experience I have with the War of the Worlds phenomenon is I heard the radio broadcast in junior high for some class. Sorry I'm not as educated as you.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
The only experience I have with the War of the Worlds phenomenon is I heard the radio broadcast in junior high for some class. Sorry I'm not as educated as you.

Well the movie was directed to the people that have either seen number 1 or read the book. And a huge part of the movie is how it ends. And than you 2 to come up all in here going oh the ending sucked blah blah blah.... The ending was one of the best parts.

Well the movie was directed to the people that have either seen number 1 or read the book. And a huge part of the movie is how it ends. And than you 2 to come up all in here going oh the ending sucked blah blah blah.... The ending was one of the best parts.

first off who are you that your opinion is better than ours? His f***ing son lives, right. And that whole neighborhood is perfect, yea i buy that. they plant these machines a million years ago, have the technology to shoot themselves down in lightning bolts. but hey they forget about immunity to viruses. just thought it was cheesy and if the original and book were the same, there are lame too in MY OPINION. :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
Yea they would hate the idea of gaining a new audience.  you get a quote of the month for that asinine statement.

??? The main audience has either seen the old movie or read the book. Or at the very least knows what happens in the original. Im not stating my opinion part of what made the original and book great was the ending thats a fact not an opinion.

Also I guess i can agree on the fact how at the end the neighborhood seem untouched. But than again that could be part of their plans. Let all the people go where they think its safe, it would be easier to kill people or catch them in big groups.

For examply earlier in the movie that one city seemed untouched with all the people getting on the boat. Than all of a sudden like 3-4 of them ambushed the people effectively killing or capturing almost all of them.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
??? The main audience has either seen the old movie or read the book.  Or at the very least knows what happens in the original.  Im not stating my opinion part of what made the original and book great was the ending thats a fact not an opinion.

Also I guess i can agree on the fact how at the end the neighborhood seem untouched.  But than again that could be part of their plans.  Let all the people go where they think its safe, it would be easier to kill people or catch them in big groups.

For examply earlier in the movie that one city seemed untouched with all the people getting on the boat.  Than all of a sudden like 3-4 of them ambushed the people effectively killing or capturing almost all of them.

That ferry town was just that...........a small town. I guess it took em a little while to walk from NYC to wherever that ferry was.

YOu have to be kidding me, you are going to attack the book for it's "lame" ending??? The book that has been around for 107 years? The book and author that is responsible for pretty much EVERYTHING in Sci-Fi history? HG Wells was a man WAY ahead of his time. He is solely responsible for many of the things that drove people to get us into space. His ending for the book is not that poor when you realize that his ending was still not common knowledge. This was a time in the world where this type of thing was not so unusual as we in this country were in the process of wiping out the Indians with Small Pox. It was also a time before anti-biotics and the idea that you COULD come up with some minor form of vaccine to help you survive.

Also, if this race had planted the ships millions of years ago, and had left them behind to go about destroying other civilizations, maybe the viruses had changed enough in that time. It only takes about 50 years for a virus to mutate into something else, and sometimes in the case of AIDS, it only takes a decade for a new strain to show up. So how is a race that was only here say, oh, a million years ago, how are they going to keep up on it? Can you suspend your belief long enough to fall in line with the movie that actually does have a VERY plausible ending if you let yourself step into it a bit? It is not such a wild idea. I find it crazy that many of the same people I have heard complain about the ending are the same ones who also love Independence Day, which is a WOTW ripoff, but dumbed down...WAY down.

As for the son. In every tragedy or disaster, there is always a story that borders on "miracle". You will always find the story of the person that came through terrible odds. On a scale the size of this, one that covers the entire world, there is bound to be atleast ONE story where the people came through as they did here. I just look at it like the person telling the story chose to use this group to talk about. Having everybody come out as they did also falls in line with HG Wells, as he himself was a philanthropist and despised war. He would want his story to have a strong message (as all of his tales did), but one that would also give hope in the end. I think Speilberg did him a great service.

His ending for the book is not that poor when you realize that his ending was still not common knowledge.

Would you be saying that today it is common knowledge, so perhaps you could see how i might find the ending weak?

part of what made the original and book great was the ending thats a fact not an opinion

seriously?

:bang

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Would you be saying that today it is common knowledge, so perhaps you could see how i might find the ending weak?

[/b]

Somewhat. You also have to realize that if Speilberg were to change the ending to what is considered one of the greatest literary works of all time, he would be met with a major problem. It would not be too unlike changing the ending of any works by Mark Twain or any other literary giant.

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)

[/b]

seriously?

:bang

Im guessing you didnt even know what War of the Worlds was until recently when it was remade. And if thats the case than no point in talking to you about it, ask anyone who has read the book or watched the original and see what they have to say about the end.

Im not stating my opinion part ofwhat made the original and book great was the ending thats a fact not an opinion.

You never answered me, is this suppose to be in green? :finger

And four days later you finally have figured out that i have neither read nor seen the original. you are a quick one over there. So the question remains why are you talking to me still? :finger

The Ending Blows! :finger