AL All-Star Update

bjm676

Teixeira finally getting his props :headbang :headbang :headbang

Teixeira joins AL All-Star leaders

Rangers first baseman among starters; vote moves online

After weeks of trailing the Yankees first baseman, Mark Teixeira unseated Tino Martinez.

thing All-Star elections don't get the same treatment as do some presidential elections. Had national networks been projecting the American League winners based on reports from 67 percent of the precincts, they might've been wrong on the first count.

Monday afternoon's fifth and final voting update -- the final results will be announced Sunday night -- disclosed a new candidate for the AL's starting lineup in the 76th annual All-Star Game.

Texas first baseman Mark Teixeira, completing a steady rally, overtook Tino Martinez of the Yankees. Making up the last of his deficit, Teixeira (1,077,715 votes) now leads the popular New York veteran by 144,747.

Boston center fielder Johnny Damon is trying to nudge his way into the starting outfield trio. If voting closed today, the AL All-Star outfield would be comprised of teammate Manny Ramirez, defending AL MVP Vladimir Guerrero and Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki.

But Damon (1,550,810 votes) is 13,850 votes behind Ichiro (1,564,660), who always attracts strong support in voting online -- the only place remaining for fans to vote through midnight ET Thursday.

The 2005 American League and National League All-Star Teams will be unveiled on the Major League Baseball All-Star Game Selection Show presented by Chevrolet, which will air live on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, July 3. This special program will feature the announcement of the 17 elected starters, as determined by the fan balloting program, and 45 pitchers and reserves, as determined by the player ballot and the two All-Star Team managers -- Terry Francona of the Boston Red Sox and Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals -- and Major League Baseball.

Immediately following the Major League Baseball All-Star Game Selection Show, fans will have the opportunity to select the final position player for each league's 32-man roster at MLB.com. The Ameriquest 2005 All-Star Final Vote will provide fans the opportunity to cast their votes from a list of five players from each league over a three-day period.

There will be two ways for fans to vote for the 2005 All-Star Final Vote -- online at MLB.com or on-the-go from cell phones. Fans can simply text the word "VOTE" to 69652 (MYMLB) and be instantly registered to receive Final Vote ballots. Then, for just 99 cents a ballot, they'll have the freedom to vote from wherever they are. Fans can pre-register for the mobile ballot now.

The Ameriquest 2005 All-Star Final Vote will conclude on Wednesday, July 6 at 8 p.m. ET. The two winners will be announced on ESPN and MLB.com shortly thereafter.

With the exception of the two very significant shifts, the AL leader board remained virtually unchanged.

Boston DH David Ortiz (2,358,552 votes) pulled away as the overall vote leader, lapping DH runner-up Rafael Palmeiro by 1,761,863 votes.

Ortiz's teammate and captain, Jason Varitek, stayed the course 554,344 votes ahead of Detroit catcher Ivan Rodriguez.

Baltimore shortstop Miguel Tejada and second baseman Brian Roberts seem certain to be turning two on July 12 in Comerica Park, continuing to lead last summer's incumbent double-play combination.

Tejada remains 647,328 votes ahead of the Yankees' Derek Jeter. Roberts extended his lead over Texas' Alfonso Soriano to 104,652 votes.

Thus, barring a last-week surge by some teammates, third baseman Alex Rodriguez, whose 2,005,668 votes give him a bulge of 1,296,535 votes over Boston's Bill Mueller, will be the Yankees' lone starter in the All-Star Game.

That development would not be as exceptional as the Bombers' ongoing streak of seven division titles might lead you to believe -- in 2001, in the middle of their run, the Yankees had no starters in the Safeco Field renewal.

But A-Rod may yet have company. Outfielders Gary Sheffield (1,080,462) and Hideki Matsui (809,013) continue to run fifth and sixth, respectively.

Furthermore, Matsui, another perennial online force, may also ride the momentum of a phenomenal hot month to a convincing last-week charge. Through Saturday's game, the reigning AL Player of the Week was batting .390 during June, with five homers and 16 RBIs in his last 12 games.

Concluding the All-Star balloting process, fans once again will have the opportunity to participate in the official voting for the Ted Williams Most Valuable Player presented by Chevrolet at the 76th All-Star Game via the Ameriquest 2005 All-Star Game MVP Vote on MLB.com.

The All-Star Game will be televised nationally by FOX Sports and televised around the world by Major League Baseball International. ESPN Radio will provide exclusive, national radio coverage, while MLB.com will provide extensive online coverage and MLB Radio will provide exclusive play-by-play coverage of the game on the Internet.

Results as of June 27: 1st Base

Player Name Team Total Votes

1. Teixeira, M. Rangers 1,077,715

2. Martinez, T. Yankees 932,968

3. Millar, K. Red Sox 699,852

4. Konerko, P. White Sox 647,088

5. Sexson, R. Mariners 391,054

2nd Base

1. Roberts, B. Orioles 1,523,791

2. Soriano, A. Rangers 1,419,139

3. Bellhorn, M. Red Sox 585,907

4. Womack, T. Yankees 397,303

5. Iguchi, T. White Sox 293,817

Shortstop

1. Tejada, M. Orioles 1,824,209

2. Jeter, D. Yankees 1,176,881

3. Renteria, E. Red Sox 832,307

4. Guillen, C. Tigers 325,491

5. Young, M. Rangers 290,675

3rd Base

1. Rodriguez, A. Yankees 2,005,668

2. Mueller, B. Red Sox 709,133

3. Mora, M. Orioles 583,733

4. Blalock, H. Rangers 423,458

5. Beltre, A. Mariners 348,397

Catcher

1. Varitek, J. Red Sox 1,615,381

2. Rodriguez, I. Tigers 1,061,037

3. Posada, J. Yankees 678,558

4. Lopez, J. Orioles 444,169

5. Pierzynski, A. White Sox 320,317

Designated Hitter

1. Ortiz, D. Red Sox 2,358,552

2. Palmeiro, R. Orioles 596,699

3. Giambi, J. Yankees 467,189

4. Young, D. Tigers 353,880

5. Thomas, F. White Sox 331,606

Outfield

1. Ramirez, M. Red Sox 1,697,604

2. Guerrero, V. Angels 1,605,068

3. Suzuki, I. Mariners 1,564,660

4. Damon, J. Red Sox 1,550,810

5. Sheffield, G. Yankees 1,080,462

6. Matsui, H. Yankees 809,013

7. Hunter, T. Twins 702,344

8. Nixon, T. Red Sox 659,908

9. Sosa, S. Orioles 637,841

10. Podsednik, S. White Sox 513,026

11. Williams, B. Yankees 442,007

12. Anderson, G. Angels 441,978

13. Finley, S. Angels 304,652

14. Hidalgo, R. Rangers 252,539

15. Dye, J. White Sox 241,257

Justice has been served. The ultra deserving Mark Teixiera is now in the lead. Rejoice b****es!!!

Now we gotta get Ichiro out of the outfield, the guy isn't even hitting .300, he sure as hell doesn't deserve to start. I could live with a Ramirez, Guerrero, Damon outfield.

I'm interested to see the NL update when it comes out to see if Ramon Hernandez has made any progress.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
bill mueller is just absurd. i can't wait to see who francona chooses.

The backup at third baseman would have been Melvin Mora before he got injured but now I'm thinking Blalock for sure.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
The backup at third baseman would have been Melvin Mora before he got injured but now I'm thinking Blalock for sure.

no doubt. and clearly tony womack should have more votes than tad.

nothing gets me as pissed off as these standings. it's such an indictment against fans' intelligence.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
no doubt. and clearly tony womack should have more votes than tad.

nothing gets me as pissed off as these standings. it's such an indictment against fans' intelligence.

The Yankees always get a s*** load of votes, they don't care if Womack is batting .234, they're still gonna vote for him because he wears the pinstripes.

I've been pushing for Taco Texaria to take over the lead at 1st Base ahead of Tino Martinez since the first update came out and finally this week Teixiera has taken the lead, so atleast the fans have done one thing right.

I'm impressed that Brian Roberts and Miggy Tejada have gotten so many votes this year. Especially Tejada who's beating the crap out of Yankee Derek Jeter.

Mike Piazza starting a catcher in the National League is a f***ing joke, if Ramon Hernandez doesn't start it will be a travesty.

If Teixiera finally has taken over the lead in 1b all star voting, does that put Paulie in the game? I think it does...Francona could always pull a Torre and pick all of his own guys so Millar gets in, but Paulie has the 2nd best numbers of AL 1B.

Ramon Hernandez in the NL is injured.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
The Yankees always get a s*** load of votes, they don't care if Womack is batting .234, they're still gonna vote for him because he wears the pinstripes.

I've been pushing for Taco Texaria to take over the lead at 1st Base ahead of Tino Martinez since the first update came out and finally this week Teixiera has taken the lead, so atleast the fans have done one thing right.

I'm impressed that Brian Roberts and Miggy Tejada have gotten so many votes this year. Especially Tejada who's beating the crap out of Yankee Derek Jeter.

Mike Piazza starting a catcher in the National League is a f***ing joke, if Ramon Hernandez doesn't start it will be a travesty.

i can't find it, but i'm pretty sure that chuck beltran has an inordinate amount of votes for a guy with nine homers as well.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
If Teixiera finally has taken over the lead in 1b all star voting, does that put Paulie in the game?  I think it does...Francona could always pull a Torre and pick all of his own guys so Millar gets in, but Paulie has the 2nd best numbers of AL 1B.

paulie HAS to get in at this point.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
i can't find it, but i'm pretty sure that chuck beltran has an inordinate amount of votes for a guy with nine homers as well.

Found it:

Outfield

1. Beltran, C. Mets 1,047,531

2. Edmonds, J. Cardinals 972,720

3. Abreu, B. Phillies 965,805

4. Cabrera, M. Marlins 677,345

5. Griffey Jr., K. Reds 625,219

6. Walker, L. Cardinals 526,668

7. Bradley, M. Dodgers 501,846

8. Burrell, P. Phillies 442,911

9. Floyd, C. Mets 437,946

10. Jones, A. Braves 427,040

11. Drew, J. Dodgers 412,971

12. Patterson, C. Cubs 398,277

13. Burnitz, J. Cubs 376,751

14. Sanders, R. Cardinals 349,823

15. Lee, C. Brewers 334,218

Beltran starting is stupid. Same with Edmonds.

My NL outfield: Abreu, Cabrera, Carlos Lee, Andruw Jones. I know that's 4 players but it's hard not to have Jones starting in the All-Star game.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
paulie HAS to get in at this point.

I also found a quote of mine from a week ago:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
I think the obvious choice for 1st base backup is PK. His power numbers are higher than any other 1st baseman other than Teixiera. He has the Highest OBP of any 1st baseman with atleast 161 ABs other than Ibanez and PK has a higher OPS than any other firstbaseman other than Teixiera.

PK should be an All-Star this season.

Anyone who thinks PK isn't an All-Star just take a look at the stats and then plead your case.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
I also found a quote of mine from a week ago:

when i first found this site in like early may, i couldn't believe that amount of people that wanted to cut off paulie's nuts and trade him for justin morneau.

i loved paulie then and i love him now. he should make the team.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
My NL outfield: Abreu, Cabrera, Carlos Lee, Andruw Jones. I know that's 4 players but it's hard not to have Jones starting in the All-Star game.

Have one of those guys DH.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
how is carlos lee 15th that is ridiculous, new yorkers should not be allowed to vote.

No, fans shouldn't be allowed to vote, period. I'm sure some here are guilty of voting for Joe Crede/Juan Uribe/Jermaine Dye just because they are homers and want to see Sox in the ASG.

They should atleast split the voting up into percentages, so that way fans do not elect every starter with the exception of the pitcher...or do as qwerty suggested a while back and just take fan voting away period.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
how is carlos lee 15th that is ridiculous, new yorkers should not be allowed to vote.

Hey, so I can't vote? You should've said Yankmee fans shouldn't be able to vote, becuase there are plenty other front-runners Yankmee fans outside of NY.