NBA Draft Thread

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
It look's like Roger Powell might go undrafted. Would he be a viable pick-up as a back-up big man?

Meh, he won't get drafted for sure and could float around between 10 day contracts and the NBDL.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Warriors drafted him.

Via NBA.com:

Selected in the first round (16th overall) of the 2002 NBA Draft by the Philadelphia 76ers...Draft rights immediately traded to the Golden State Warriors for two future draft picks...Traded to the Dallas Mavericks along with Antawn Jamison, Chris Mills and Danny Fortson in exchange for Evan Eschmeyer, Nick Van Exel, Avery Johnson, Popeye Jones and Antoine Rigaudeau on 8/18/03.

That's 76ers, Warriors, Mavericks, Celtics, Cavaliers, and now Bucks.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Via NBA.com:

That's 76ers, Warriors, Mavericks, Celtics, Cavaliers, and now Bucks.

Why would you count the Sixers when calling him a journeymen?

DENGS A JOURNEYMEN - TWO TEAMS IN ONE YEAR!

Pretty sure the Bobcats could take Green at #5, unless they take Felton then Green could slide down to #10. The Blazers like Martell Webster better anyway, he wowed them with a workout with his defense.

The Raptors will probably take Danny Granger or Antoine Wright at #7. Channing Frye will go #8 to the Knicks. Looks like the Warriors have settled on Diogu at #9 according to nbadraft.net.

Portland to Take Webster at 6

After trading down 3 spots and picking up two additional first round picks, (Utah's 27th and next year's Detorit pick) the Blazers are set to take high schooler Martell Webster out of Washington. It was originally thought that they were targeting Gerald Green, who now appears destined to slip to 10 at the Lakers pick.

Warriors Set to Take Diogu at 9

The Warriors have thought long and hard about taking Hakim Warrick at 9, but in the end have apparently settled on Ike Diogu at 9. Diogu gives them a no nonsense power forward with a great work ethic.

Warrick is now in a potential free fall and could slip all the way to Denver at 20.

NBA Swap Meet

With one deal already complete, Utah picking up the 3rd pick for the 6th and the 27th picks, (plus a 2006 first rounder (Detroit's). Look for many more deals to come as this draft is shaping up to have more trades than any draft before.

The top 4 picks in the draft are now fairly set. Reports of Marvin WIlliams falling out of the 2nd pick are false based on the information we've received. Andrew Bogut goes first, unless the Bucks have a huge last minute change of heart. The Hawks almost surely will hold onto the 2nd pick and draft Marvin WIlliams. With the third pick, the Jazz will select Deron WIlliams. And the Hornets will hold onto the fourth pick and select Chris Paul.

At the 5th pick, things begin to get interesting. The Hornets are deciding between two players: Raymond Felton and Charlie Villanueva. With a pick 8 spots down at 13, they're trying to figure out a way to get both players and they're weighing the odds of each player falling to them.

Felton is the guy they would probably take if they could have just one, but what's crazy is he's the player that has the better chance of slipping to 13. Villanueva has had some tremendous workouts recently, and odds are good he'll be gone by the time they pick again.

Felton makes sense, as Brevin Knight is getting up there in age, and is a free agent. Plus he's a local guy so he'd help to strengthen their fan base.

Information has come out about 4 players which could cause their draft stock to slip tonight. Monta Ellis (knee), Kennedy Winston (knee), Ersan Ilyasova (ankle) and Ronny Turiaf all have various injuries that have been red flagged by teams.

These injuries put all four players in jeopardy of getting into the first round. While both Winston and Turiaf are likely early second rounders, Ellis and Ilyasova are both bubble guys, but the injuries could hurt their chances when the teams at the end of the first round make their decisions.

Mile Ilic Buyout Issues

Serbian bigman Mile Ilic remained in the draft, and drew some speculation of a promise in the late first round. He is a highly skilled player with good size, but his buyout will likely scare teams away. His buyout is considered so bad, it's likely that he not only wouldn't be able to come to play next season, but could be 2-3 years from joining an NBA team.

Look for Ilic to get drafted, however, the thought of him going in the first round has dissipated. Denver is one team that has shown an interest in the bigman.

*Check back for more updates as they come in leading up to and during the draft.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
If the Bulls are to pull of a trade and pick up a second round pick, I would love to see Ronny Turiaf in a Bulls jersey. 6-10 249, good rebounder, blocks shots.

^

Front court depth, or a big 2

That's about it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Pretty sure the Bobcats could take Green at #5, unless they take Felton then Green could slide down to #10. The Blazers like Martell Webster better anyway, he wowed them with a workout with his defense.

The Raptors will probably take Danny Granger or Antoine Wright at #7. Channing Frye will go #8 to the Knicks. Looks like the Warriors have settled on Diogu at #9 according to nbadraft.net.

Any idea on where Ilic might actually be drafted??? I've seen Serbian video's of him and he is twice as good as Nenad Krstic.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)

The bobcats will not take green, they will take felton. The blazers may like webster better but blazer fans could possibly end up killing the blazers gm if they draft him, they all want green. He wowed them with his defense? They are both weak defensively, but green has a much better chance of improving defensively that webster, in my opinion. Frye is not worthy of the 8th pick but i agree he will go to them, diogu = eh.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
The bobcats will not take green, they will take felton. The blazers may like webster better but blazer fans could possibly end up killing the blazers gm if they draft him, they all want green. He wowed them with his defense? They are both weak defensively, but green has a much better chance of improving defensively that webster, in my opinion. Frye is not worthy of the 8th pick but i agree he will go to them, diogu = eh.

They don't teach defense in high school anymore.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
But you have to agree Green is a more projectible defender with his athleticism.

Oh, there is absolutely no doubt about that. He's got to want to play defense though, which some of these players refuse to learn for some reason.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)

Personally I think Charlotte is insane for taking Felton over Green. The thing on Webster was according to ESPN yesterday and IIRC there was an article or 2 about it on his defense, as he worked out against smaller, quicker guards.

I hope the Magic end up with one of Wright, Felton (if he slips) Granger or Villenueva. I don't want Sean May or Joey Graham.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
Also if Green is gonna slip to #10, the Magic have got to trade up to #9 to nab him ahead of the Lakers. Give the Warriors a 2nd rounder to get the deal done, and they can still get Diogu.

I highly doubt the Lakers draft Green.