Ben Davis has Tommy John surgery...

Jabroni

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Minor maneuvers: Josh Stewart's contract was sold by the White Sox to the Orix Buffaloes in Japan, a move announced Monday by the team overseas. Stewart, 26, posted a 4-4 record over 14 games and 11 starts for Triple-A Charlotte this season and has a 1-3 record in eight Major League appearances. The left-hander will be joined by first baseman Randall Simon, as the ex-Cub also signed a one-year deal. Stewart signed for a reported 27 million yen, or $245,000.

The 2005 season came to a close for catcher Ben Davis when he had Tommy John surgery performed by Dr. James Andrews Tuesday in Birmingham, Ala. Davis, the switch-hitter acquired from Seattle late last June as part of the Freddy Garcia trade, hit .242 over 10 games and 33 at-bats for the Knights. He was a surprise subtraction from the team during Spring Training when Chris Widger won the backup catching spot.

At least Davis won't have to spend the rest of the season in the minors and the White Sox don't have to pay the rest of his salary

All kidding aside, I wish him the best in the long rehab process and he picked argueably the best surgeon for it.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 04:18 AM)
We still have Burke, who isn't a horrible option in case someone gets injured.

Considering Jamie can also play 1st.... i think he's even a better option then Ben was... still i wish him the best.

I'm a bit confused...how exactly does a catcher end up needing Tommy John surgery?

That surgery becomes needed when the ligament at the bottom of an elbow snaps...almost always due to some sort of repetitive motion, which is why you see it so commonly in pitchers. ANd it usually takes a lot of stress to make that thing snap.

Has Davis been working on his fastball in his spare time?

I'm a bit confused...how exactly does a catcher end up needing Tommy John surgery?

That surgery becomes needed when the ligament at the bottom of an elbow snaps...almost always due to some sort of repetitive motion, which is why you see it so commonly in pitchers.  ANd it usually takes a lot of stress to make that thing snap.

Throwing guys out? :huh

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)

That surgery becomes needed when the ligament at the bottom of an elbow snaps...almost always due to some sort of repetitive motion, which is why you see it so commonly in pitchers.  ANd it usually takes a lot of stress to make that thing snap.

The injury is caused from throwing. Catchers are particularly suceptible because of the quick release, short arming the throw. Pitchers get it from repetitive thowing especially if they drop to a 3/4 arm angle or lower. Either way it's when the humerus gets ahead of the forearm and creates a high velocity torque to pull them apart.

Through various studies it has been shown that almost all throws create enough torque to tear the ligament. It is only through proper mechanics and musculature that it doesn't tear. Catchers with the short time to get rid of the ball usually use poor mechanics and the ligament loosens then can tear. The stress from a throw goes to the ulnar nerve which is under the ligament if the ligament is loose. So, every throw can feel like "hitting your funny bone."

This problem is probably almost as common in catchers as pitchers percentage wise, its just that there are many more pitchers out there.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
The injury is caused from throwing. Catchers are particularly suceptible because of the quick release, short arming the throw. Pitchers get it from repetitive thowing especially if they drop to a 3/4 arm angle or lower. Either way it's when the humerus gets ahead of the forearm and creates a high velocity torque to pull them apart.

Through various studies it has been shown that almost all throws create enough torque to tear the ligament. It is only through proper mechanics and musculature that it doesn't tear. Catchers with the short time to get rid of the ball usually use poor mechanics and the ligament loosens then can tear. The stress from a throw goes to the ulnar nerve which is under the ligament if the ligament is loose. So, every throw can feel like "hitting your funny bone."

This problem is probably almost as common in catchers as pitchers percentage wise, its just that there are many more pitchers out there.

I luuuuuuuuuv it when you analyze