Putting a value on "teamwork"

kapkomet

We had a debate in one of my classes tonight and I wanted to open this up for discussion here... since there's quite a few damn good thinkers around here.

Today's business world emphasizes returns, profits, measureable and quantifiable results.

There's a relativiely new management/leadership type (known as servant leadership) that empowers people. Managers are viewed as facilitators/helpers, and not as a role or power person "in charge". This type of "leader" is meant to promote team building in companies and several companies are starting to go toward this model.

Here's the question, then.

How do you place value, real, every day bottom line, value on this type of management/leadership?

(I hope that this is enough information to start a good discussion).

I think a mix of the two is needed. There are too many companies where the employees are absolutely miserable and therefore don't give 100%. If employers treated their employees more like people and less like slaves, production would be up (which generally means profits increase as well).

I will try to verbalize better a little later, but this is something (bosses being mentors/guiders as well as an in-charge person - someone has to make the decisions lol) I do strongly believe in after working in a hostile (very hostile) environment at my last job. I still don't know how my boss didn't kill his boss.

I do not believe the method of evaluation should change regardless of the methods used by the manager.

If I am understanding the question, you are trying to place a tangible score ($$) on an intangible (style of leadership)

Step one is always find objective evidence. Without a yardstick that can be touched, measured, etc. you are chasing sprites. Find something that can be measured. This will change by the company and the department. For some it may be increases in widgets coming off the line with a increase in quality. For other companies it may be accuracy, it may be increased sales, etc. Make certain that what you are measuring is important to he department or company.

The corresponding increases or decreases will give you a gage on the effectiveness with that manager and how well that manager implements a management style. Again, in studying human behavior in this manner, the only conclusion that you could draw would be about that that manager. Perhaps after many managers have been measured, you can broaden the scope and perhaps make some judgments.

The problem is, and will be, until someone comes up with a different measurement system, you don't have a tangible effect on your company's results by different leadership styles. Leadership styles DO have an impact, but the measureables are not in place to say HOW MUCH of an impact.

/need to become an Organizational Behavior geek to invent kapkomet's measurables of leadership styles

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
The problem is, and will be, until someone comes up with a different measurement system, you don't have a tangible effect on your company's results by different leadership styles.  Leadership styles DO have an impact, but the measureables are not in place to say HOW MUCH of an impact.

/need to become an Organizational Behavior geek to invent kapkomet's measurables of leadership styles

A sales department can measure sales volume or profit. A manufacturing can measure output, scrap, etc. The measurements are there, you just need a before and after and the knowledge to sort through other factors.

You're still measuring sales, dollars, and the like. There has to be a way to show other improvements, other QUANTIFIABLE improvements, to effective leadership.

Edit: Wait, that was my question, wasn't it? I've slept since then, only a little though.

PROFITS... PROFIT MEASUREMENT is what I'm after - directly attributable to leadership style.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
You're still measuring sales, dollars, and the like.  There has to be a way to show other improvements, other QUANTIFIABLE improvements, to effective leadership.

Edit: Wait, that was my question, wasn't it?  I've slept since then, only a little though.

PROFITS... PROFIT MEASUREMENT is what I'm after - directly attributable to leadership style.

Each department will be judged by a different standard. Not every department is or should be judged by profit. There are some departments that will never show a profit. The other yardsticks that start to come into play would be turn over, absenteeism, etc. It is difficult to measure employee satisfaction.