Sox vs. Tigers 6/29/05 6:05 CST Gamethread

Capn12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If McCarthy can give up less than 5 or 6 ER in 5 innings, I'll be happy. Well, not happy, but I'll know it could be worse.

If McCarthy has to do awful this game for KW to pull the trigger soon, I'll be able to deal with the bad performance better. Maybe B-Mac will get shelled, but our offense will win us the game... :ph34r:

Brandon, PITCH TO THE BALLPARK. I hope he saw Pudge's ninth inning shot last night; that thing practically had a jet engine and it still couldn't get out of the yard.

I don't know; I just don't think you're ready for the show yet big guy--prove me wrong.

Brandon, PITCH TO THE BALLPARK.  I hope he saw Pudge's ninth inning shot last night; that thing practically had a jet engine and it still couldn't get out of the yard.

I don't know; I just don't think you're ready for the show yet big guy--prove me wrong.

If he walks a lot of guys tonight, he should be sent down. There's no reason he should be walking guys at Comerica.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
If he walks a lot of guys tonight, he should be sent down.  There's no reason he should be walking guys at Comerica.

yeah, he better get the first win or id give him the boot

yeah, he better get the first win or id give him the boot

Win or else, eh? :bang

Nothing like a little added pressure. :D

But I tend to agree ... things are going pretty well but KW and Ozzie seem pretty firm on having quality major league ready guys in that starting rotation. If Brandon shows he's not ready, they will get someone else.

I would bet even if he shows he is ready, they still get someone else.

By the way for all you western suburbanites looking for a nice very cool and comfortable air conditioned bar to watch the game tonite ... the Naperville Chapter of SoxTalk will be meeting at The Red Door in downtown Naperville at 6 pm. Say hello to the two guys arguing at the bar. :bang

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
By the way for all you western suburbanites looking for a nice very cool and comfortable air conditioned bar to watch the game tonite ... the Naperville Chapter of SoxTalk will be meeting at The Red Door in downtown Naperville at 6 pm.  Say hello to the two guys arguing at the bar. :bang

And bring your money

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
By the way for all you western suburbanites looking for a nice very cool and comfortable air conditioned bar to watch the game tonite ... the Naperville Chapter of SoxTalk will be meeting at The Red Door in downtown Naperville at 6 pm.  Say hello to the two guys arguing at the bar. :bang

Ahh if I didn't have softball I'd join you guys.

:drink

There was a good article about BMac in the Trib this mornin...it seems that he at least understands what his problem has been; throwing his changeup for strikes.

In his first major-league start May 22 in front of a sellout crowd at Wrigley Field against the rival Cubs, McCarthy allowed two runs while striking out six and walking one in 51/3 innings.

Since then, however, McCarthy has been tagged for 12 runs in 92/3 innings covering two starts (sandwiching a 3½-week stint in the minors). More alarming is that McCarthy has walked seven.

With Orlando Hernandez probably out until the All-Star break, McCarthy's play could dictate whether the Sox will try to acquire a starting pitcher.

McCarthy has attributed much of his troubles to a lack of control on his change-up.

"That's something that's an ongoing battle," McCarthy said. "In a couple starts, it's lights out. … If I'm not right on, it's not as sharp.

"Early in the game a lot goes down to how I'm controlling my body. If I'm too fast, [the pitch] is in the dirt. If I'm in control, I can throw it where I want to."

Pitching coach Don Cooper believes McCarthy can be more successful if he throws his change-up more frequently for strikes. In his last start, McCarthy also had a tendency to overthrow.

"We'll continue to work on him throwing his curve to both sides of the plate and his change-up," Cooper said. "It's back to spring training in terms of the package."

That changeup is the key for McCarthy, with it his curve ball and fastball both become out pitches, without it he's a 2 pitch pitcher with an average fastball and a good curve.

Cooper's had more than a week to work with him, hopefully he's had the kid throwing a lot and working hard on throwing that changeup for strikes.

Come on BMac, it's time. You've been with Cooper again for a couple weeks, get that changeup workin again and shut these bastards down. 1 good start out of you and we can slam the mouths closed on those guys who are desperate to sacrifice your whole career to get Schmidt for 1 season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
There was a good article about BMac in the Trib this mornin...it seems that he at least understands what his problem has been; throwing his changeup for strikes.

That changeup is the key for McCarthy, with it his curve ball and fastball both become out pitches, without it he's a 2 pitch pitcher with an average fastball and a good curve.

Cooper's had more than a week to work with him, hopefully he's had the kid throwing a lot and working hard on throwing that changeup for strikes.

Come on BMac, it's time.  You've been with Cooper again for a couple weeks, get that changeup workin again and shut these bastards down.  1 good start out of you and we can slam the mouths closed on those guys who are desperate to sacrifice your whole career to get Schmidt for 1 season.

I still say even if Brandon isn't ready right now, the biggest thing from him is soaking up the mental aspect of pitching from these guys. The technical stuff can be taught by most any pitching coach, but learning first hand what it takes to be a stud pitcher in this league mentally is the toughest lesson of all. Ergo my favorite part of this article is that BMac is sitting on the bench next to Mark Buehrle while MB is pitching.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
I still say even if Brandon isn't ready right now, the biggest thing from him is soaking up the mental aspect of pitching from these guys.  The technical stuff can be taught by most any pitching coach, but learning first hand what it takes to be a stud pitcher in this league mentally is the toughest lesson of all.  Ergo my favorite part of this article is that BMac is sitting on the bench next to Mark Buehrle while MB is pitching.

Hard to find a better guy to learn from.

I think BMac's problem has actually been his technical stuff, personally...throwing the change and not getting it in the dirt is a technical problem that can be solved.

But the only people who will complain about Buehrle giving BMac tips are the people BMac shuts down.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:26 AM)
1 1/2 seasons.

You're assuming he'll stay healthy, which I don't know if I'd say he ever has done, it seems like he misses 5 starts or so every year due to health reasons.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
You're assuming he'll stay healthy, which I don't know if I'd say he ever has done, it seems like he misses 5 starts or so every year due to health reasons.

You're assuming McCarthy will be good.

Not saying he won't be, but that kind of reasoning can go either way.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
You're assuming McCarthy will be good.

Not saying he won't be, but that kind of reasoning can go either way.

McCarthy's 21 years old, to expect a Buehrle performance out of him everytime in his first few appearances ever in the big leagues isn't exactly the greatest of reasoning either.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
McCarthy's 21 years old, to expect a Buehrle performance out of him everytime in his first few appearances ever in the big leagues isn't exactly the greatest of reasoning either.

I'm just making a point. He says we can't assume Schmidt won't get hurt, so I responded that we can't assume that McCarthy will be good.

I would expect a good performance from him tonight considering he's pitching in a pitcher's park.

Edited by Jabroni