Why all of the massive threads?

Harry Chappas

I came in this morning and have to read through 18 pages on the one trade thread this is intersting stuff yet there is nothing of interset in any of the other threads.

I think this rolling of misc info is really taking away from the site unless you are on non-stop. 40 and 50 page threads serve no purpose.

IMHO

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)
I came in this morning and have to read through 18 pages on the one trade thread this is intersting stuff yet there is nothing of interset in any of the other threads.

I think this rolling of misc info is really taking away from the site unless you are on non-stop.  40  and 50 page threads serve no purpose.

IMHO

agreed, i know ppl get pissed off at multiple threads talking about teh same thing, but the rumors thread is too big and should be branched off into one talking about schmidt one about burnett etc. that way we dont have to scroll through pages and pages of worthless crap to find what we are looking for

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
agreed, i know ppl get pissed off at multiple threads talking about teh same thing, but the rumors thread is too big and should be branched off into one talking about schmidt one about burnett etc. that way we dont have to scroll through pages and pages of worthless crap to find what we are looking for

The problem is that everyone with a guy that they think should be trading for, or might be on the block starts a new thread, and the whole front page ends up being covered with trade threads. It is much easier to navigate this way.

Plus many, many people have requested it this way.

It does sort of suck, I wish we didnt have to have a huge thread with everything, but like Murcie eluded to, theres a lot of people on this board that don't know where/where/how to post on this board, and instead clog the front pages with false rumors saying __________(fill in name) is close to coming to the Sox.

Tony is right.

Not to beat this suggestion to death (I promise this is the last time I'll post it), but 80% of it is solved if new members can post but not start threads for 2 months or so. They will get the lay of the land and get a good understanding of how the board works.

Ok, I will shut up about this now.

There was a forum set up for everything baseball and someone that has become a 40 page thread within the forum that has interesting stuff and all new threads are well I have nothing good to say about most new threads.

I would rather see a new thread for Schmidt and a discussion of his impact as well a different one for Zito and Burnett.

If these new threads are wortheless they are on the next page within a couple of hours. Now the same worthless thread, sits out there for a day and you are left scrolling through 5 to 6 pages to read anything worth a damn.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm on other forums that add 'em all the time. I guess it's just not worth the effort in your opinion.

Why you always gotta pick a fight. Your like jerseysox and kalapse lol.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
I'm on other forums that add 'em all the time. I guess it's just not worth the effort in your opinion.

Its not about the effort, its about the attitude of your post. If you want to have a discussion, that's fine, but if you want to post something like...

Separate. Trade. Forum.

how hard is it

...you'll get just as assinine of an answer.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
I told you the trade thread would be totally unruly when you started it.

The only reason I posted my suggestion of a separate forum in bold is because it was totally ignored on page 2 of that thread.

I seriously think it's the best solution.

It's gotten to 38 pages; which is apparent that people are still successfully having conversation in there.

Large threads have worked well on SoxTalk.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
It's gotten to 38 pages; which is apparent that people are still successfully having conversation in there. 

Large threads have worked well on SoxTalk.

Sure, it works well for the few that have followed all 38 pages, but for anyone wanting to jump in and talk about something, there's gonna be

a) admonishment that what's being brought up was discussed at length on page 14 and again on page 25. As the thread gets bigger, the innermost pages are going to be all but totally inaccessable.

b ) a good hour+ of trying to read hundreds of posts about any given trade possibility anyone can dream up just to find out what's been discussed already about Randa.

Edited by Hideaway Lights

There's really only a couple things being discussed in the trade thread any. Our lack of offense-who is providing the lack of offense. And do we really need another starting pitcher? I followed every page, I posted heavily for the first 25 pages but it has now lost my interest seeing how it's the same thing being talked about over and over.

Lol.

I'm with the group of people that doesn't like sifting through a 40 page thread. Someone posted a worthwhile thought and they got crucified because they didn't put it in the trade thread. The idea I thought was one worth reading and when I saw people yelling at him instead of saying "good idea" I got kinda disappointed.

Just my $.02 :bang

This amalgamation of the threads is a bad bad bad idea

No one knows which page is really worth reading ....and even if you constantly follow every page, the next time you get on, you need to remember where you dropped off the last time

Just not fun that way....stupid idea no doubt

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
The problem is that everyone with a guy that they think should be trading for, or might be on the block starts a new thread, and the whole front page ends up being covered with trade threads.  It is much easier to navigate this way.

Plus many, many people have requested it this way.

Trade threads are my favorite, and now that it's clumped into one giant thread I don't even bother. It's a pain to swift through 20 pages and hope to find something on AJ Burnett. I agree that it should be branched apart. If navigation is the problem...look at the quality of some of the posts being made. I refuse to click on about 50-70% of the threads anyway, and even in cleaning up the board it is simply made more difficult to navigate the trade thread...which in turn, defeats the main purpose entirely.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)
How about a Table of Contents on the first page of the thread?

Page1-2: Burnett Discussion

Page 3: Oliver Perez

Page 4: whatever

you know.

There's lots of diff scenarios and rumors going on in each page, so that would be pretty hard. Plus only if you read the last couple of pages, you get the general gist of what everyone is discussing etc.