Wimbledon

Anyone watching this year? I was lucky enough to catch the final set of Roddick versus Grosjean. For the first four or so games, Roddick looked invincible. Managed to hold on for the win.

IIRC, here are the semifinal matchups:

#1 Federer (yea, go Switzerland) vs. #3 Lleyton Hewitt

#2 Roddick vs. #12 Johannsen?

Hopefully both top seeds hold. Federer vs. Roddick would be awesome.

I've been watching....mainly because I have money on it. (You can all toss out the degenerate gambler jokes at the guy who bets tennis :P)

Anyways, I'm with Roddick on this one (was listed as basically 9-1 to win the tournament.) and today's match was a little too close for comfort for me...however it was nice to see him win a 5-setter for once.

I would LOVE for Hewitt to knock of Federer, but I know that's not going to happen. :P Hopefully Johanssen doesn't play spoiler, I get my investment back and let it ride of a Roddick v. Federer final. It would be a monster match.

It's awesome to play. Especially when you win, which was something new for our HS team this year.

I liked playing doubles more, mainly because I got the chance to play a lot more at the net.

Kinda hard not get emotional if things are going wrong though. Ask my doubles partner from sophomore year. Somehow my tennis racket ended up getting thrown at his leg and I had to forfeit the match. :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
It's awesome to play. Especially when you win, which was something new for our HS team this year.

Kinda hard not get emotional if things are going wrong though. Ask my doubles partner from sophomore year. Somehow my tennis racket ended up getting thrown at his leg and I had to forfeit the match. :P

i've thrown many a rackets

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 05:16 AM)
Anyone watching this year? I was lucky enough to catch the final set of Roddick versus Grosjean. For the first four or so games, Roddick looked invincible. Managed to hold on for the win.

IIRC, here are the semifinal matchups:

#1 Federer (yea, go Switzerland) vs. #3 Lleyton Hewitt

#2 Roddick vs. #12 Johannsen?

Anyone know Johannson's first name? ;)

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:49 AM)
Thomas I believe, DBAH0. :D

Nice to see someone demonstrate some tennis knowledge. He won the Aussie Open beating Safin 3 years ago IIRC. A very good baseline player when healthy. He won't beat Roddick though, but Federer will.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Venus Williams smashed defending champ Maria Sharapova today in straight sets to advance to her first grand slam final in 2 years.

I just saw this on ESPN--HURRAY! Go Venus. :usa

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
I even know his last name is not pronounced Johnson, but 'yo-han-son'

Of course you know that! You live in Minnesota with all the Oles and Svens and Lenas and Lars and Nels.

As a graduate of St. Olaf College I am allowed to make jokes about Minnesota, dontcha know.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
As a graduate of St. Olaf College I am allowed to make jokes about Minnesota, dontcha know.

I know a friend going there. I'd never heard of it until he mentioned it.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
I know a friend going there. I'd never heard of it until he mentioned it.

Awesome. He'll probably like it. (And he'll like it even more if he likes blondes, ha!)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)

Or not. Federer crushes Roddick in straight sets.

Not that it mattered -- Federer would have done that against anyone in this tournament. The announcers didn't seem too impressed w/ Roddick, but I thought Federer was just that good. Some of his returns had me staring at the tv agape.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Let's face it. Federer will destroy Andy Roddick. Roddick has nothing but a big serve. He's such a headcase and can't match the skills of Federer. Now a good matchup? Federer vs. Sampras. :bringit

Wow, I'm good. No, not really. Roddick just sucks.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
Yea, being second best in the world at what you do really sucks. :rolly

Actually he's 4th in the world, but he was ranked 2 at Wimbledon b/c of his success on grass the last couple years. But the point's good -- Roddick hardly sucks. Federer destroyed Hewitt (the world #2) just as easy. Federer is playing as noone has since Sampras at his very best. Even when the match was more or less decided, it was such a great show the way he was playing, I stayed glued to the tv.

It was interesting comparing that to the women's final, which was fun in a different way. Inconsistent play, but hard fought and very close.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Yea, being second best in the world at what you do really sucks. :rolly

Yeah, loads of talent wasted. He should be better than he is. He's inconsistent and plays dumb. He should be the player Sampras was with what he has.