Chicago's Sales Tax to Hit 9 Percent

Benchwarmerjim

Wow... I thought Minnesota had high taxes

---

CHICAGO - Chicago's sales tax will rise Friday to 9 percent for most goods — the highest rate among major U.S. cities.

Some city officials say they fear the one-quarter percentage point hike will cause stores to lose business to suburbs with lower rates.

"It will have a negligible effect on mom-and-pop businesses, but the big-box stores who deal in volume or large purchases could be negatively affected," said Alderman Brian Doherty, whose ward on Chicago's northwest edge borders many suburbs with lower sales tax rates.

According to the Chicago-based Sales Tax Institute, New York City charges 8.375 percent in sales tax, followed by Los Angeles, Dallas and Houston, which charge 8.25 percent; San Francisco, 8.5 percent; Atlanta, 8 percent; Miami, 7 percent; Washington, D.C., 5.75 percent; and Boston, 5 percent.

Some consumers say they've already been doing their shopping outside the city for expensive items.

"The first choice is always the suburbs," said Vince Srisak, a 30-year-old restaurant owner in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood. "When you buy a big amount, you can save $50."

Others say that's too much trouble. "I'm not going to drive all over the place to save money," said Gwen Hayes of Chicago, who bought a 24-inch TV for $139.99 — $152.24 with tax — at a Chicago Best Buy on Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050629/ap_on_...icago_sales_tax

I guess it is a good thing I rarely buy anything in the city anymore (gas, groceries and most other items are bought in the surounding suburbs). Good think I live a block from the surburbs and work in the burbs as well lol.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
That house of cards is getting ready to fall.

Don't look now, but is that Jesse Jackson Jr. in the wings?

And has been doing much more public posturing. The Daley administration is one person turned states evidence away from falling.