Could Baj be on his way Up???

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Why is this board so enamored with BAJ. Why isn't every scout in the country looking at this guy? Why doesn't anyone want to trade for him? Its because he is not good enough for the majors.Again its my opinion but outside of this board, nobody in the country cares about this guy.

Jeff Bajenaru - 2-1, 1.27 ERA, 50 K's, 21 BB's, 3 HR.

Arnie Munoz - 2-9, 3.94 ERA, 54 K's, 23 BB's

Matt Smith - 0-4, 4.82 ERA, 34 K's, 19 BB's.

Dave Sanders - 2-2, 3.38 ERA, 31 K's, 21 BB's

Kevin Walker - 0-2, 5.11 ERA, 27 K's, 15 BB's.

That's why.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Why is this board so enamored with BAJ. Why isn't every scout in the country looking at this guy? Why doesn't anyone want to trade for him? Its because he is not good enough for the majors.Again its my opinion but outside of this board, nobody in the country cares about this guy.

Quickman is right guys. He's not that great, even to be in the majors. And thats bulls*** to say AAA isn't a pitchers park, because I saw some very s***ty numbers at AA for Bajenaru.

People on this board could give a less f*** about the youth of our organization and want to win now. World Series...just in their lifetime, some people might not be alive to see the Sox in the fall classic in the next 10 years or so.

Win. Or die trying.

Edit: I was reading the paper wrong. The guy I am mentioning should be Bullard.

Edited by Beastly

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
After reading how the D-Backs need bullpen help and how their scouts were at the games...it would be a fair assumption that Shingo or Jizzcan or Marte would be traded and Baj would be brought up.

Ummm....no. Why in god sakes would the Sox deal a solid reliever (Viz pitched pretty darn admirably tonight and is showing some velocity) in order to call up an unknown like Jenks.

Plus what are the Sox getting in return. Lets make one thing clear, Kenny isn't dealing from his pen in order to make room for Baj or Jenks this year. The only reason they'll get a shot is if they replace someone due to injury or in Hermy's case bereavment and come up and kick ass during that time.

Otherwise they'll be waiting till September or playing in the majors for some other team before than cause those are the only reasons they'll be up here, imo.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
Quickman is right guys. He's not that great, even to be in the majors.  And thats bulls*** to say AAA isn't a pitchers park, because I saw some very s***ty numbers at AA for Bajenaru.

People on this board could give a less f*** about the youth of our organization and want to win now. World Series...just in their lifetime, some people might not be alive to see the Sox in the fall classic in the next 10 years or so.

Win. Or die trying.

Edit: I was reading the paper wrong. The guy I am mentioning should be Bullard.

If it weren't for some of the youth of this organization (Buehrle, Garland, etc) the Sox wouldn't of ever been in this position. Nothing wrong with youth and there is absolutely no reason to knock on Baj like some have on here. The guy has kicked absolute ass in the minors ever since recovering from surgery. There is no board bias in his numbers, they are real. I'm not saying he'll be great, but he'll be a quality reliever in the majors.

I'm also not calling for him to be up, but Beastly, lets not talk about how bad the guy is after 10 innings in the majors last year. Greg Maddux wasn't stellar his 1st 10 innings, most guys aren't.

And I do give a crap about the future of the organization. Top prospects can either come up and help a club on the field or they can be dealt for other assets that can help a team potentially go the distance.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
Ummm....no.  Why in god sakes would the Sox deal a solid reliever (Viz pitched pretty darn admirably tonight and is showing some velocity) in order to call up an unknown like Jenks.

Plus what are the Sox getting in return.  Lets make one thing clear, Kenny isn't dealing from his pen in order to make room for Baj or Jenks this year.  The only reason they'll get a shot is if they replace someone due to injury or in Hermy's case bereavment and come up and kick ass during that time.

Otherwise they'll be waiting till September or playing in the majors for some other team before than cause those are the only reasons they'll be up here, imo.

I agree that KW won't deal from the pen just to make room for the kids. But, he may deal from the pen to, for example, acquire Schmidt, knowing he has Baj and Jenks down there waiting in the wings.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
I agree that KW won't deal from the pen just to make room for the kids.  But, he may deal from the pen to, for example, acquire Schmidt, knowing he has Baj and Jenks down there waiting in the wings.

Thats possible, but I highly doubt they move a guy like Marte. Could they move Viz or Shingo in a bigger picture deal for a guy like Schmidt, sure, but I don't know why in god sakes the Giants would do that.

If I'm the Giants, I'm asking for Bmac, Marte or another reliever, and one of Sweeney/Anderson/Young. If I'm Kenny I'd counter and do what I could, but thats if he's interested.

Speaking of relievers though, I still can't see it happening and if he were to ever deal one of Hermy/Politte/Marte than he'd be getting someone else in return as well.

However, dealing one of them to open up a spot for Brad Lidge is another story.

You are right about having those guys waiting in the wings to replace a Viz or Shingo, but there are no options along those lines at replacing Hermy/Politte/Marte (when Marte is healthy).

And to add to this, they are mentioning Arizona. Why are the Sox going to deal with Arizona? Are they going to give us Chad Tracy or someone like that (he could play 3rd along with Crede) cause unless they are going to do something along those lines, I just don't see anything that makes sense. I guarantee you they are looking at one of the Tigers relievers (Farnsworth may just be the guy).

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
Arizona may figure in a 3-way wth Sox and Giants.  Unless the Sox are looking at a veteran like Counsel.

I can't see the Giants and Dbacks getting together on a deal. Stranger things have happened, and I know in the end if the Giants get what they want they should do the deal, but its never good to strengthen a division rival.

I just don't see Viz or any of the mediocre relievers on the Sox being part of a 3 way deal for a player of Schmidt's magnitude. If they were, all the better, but I can't see why the heck the Giants would do that, they'd much rather deal directly with the Sox and keep a potential key piece from going to Arizona.

On a sidenote, where is all this talk about the Sox scouting someone from Arizona? I just saw something mentioning Arizona had scouts at the game and that they were looking for relief help. Is there anything that said the SOx were scouting guys on the Dbacks or if the scouts were even there looking at Sox relievers?

I'm telling you, Dbacks are looking at Farny. Now I think they'd be interested in Shingo or Viz, but I don't see a 3 way deal starting up, nor do I see the Sox just dealing them for a mid-level to potentially lower prospect. UNLESS, they simply want to free up money for another deal that had just went down (ie Sox acquire Schmidt and need to free up some payroll so they move Shingo or Viz...not that it wuold really be a big time savings).

Just my 2 cents yas and now that I think about it...we'll just have to agree to disagree on this :)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
So you have talked to every scout in the country and know this for a fact?  I promise you every scout in the country wasn't looking at Gary Majewski and Matt Guerrier, but both are doing just fine in their respective roles in the Majors right now.  All it takes is one scout to see something in you and the right fit and timing in the bigs. 

Baj deserves that shot if a spot opens up.  Plain and simple.  He has not done anything to show he has not earned it.

No Rex I have not, but I think my point is he is not talked about even within the big club. I do think scouts did look at Guerrier and Majewski. In fact, I think the Sox traded Maj twice. I think a further point of clarification on my part would be, many on this board, (and I am not naming anyone in particular) get carried away with stats in the minor leagues. People did the same with Munoz and almonte. Apparently, at least through rumors, the sox believe in Jenks more than Baj. At least that is what it appears. I just don't think Baj makes the jump "right now".

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
Thats possible, but I highly doubt they move a guy like Marte.  Could they move Viz or Shingo in a bigger picture deal for a guy like Schmidt, sure, but I don't know why in god sakes the Giants would do that. 

If I'm the Giants, I'm asking for Bmac, Marte or another reliever, and one of Sweeney/Anderson/Young.  If I'm Kenny I'd counter and do what I could, but thats if he's interested. 

Speaking of relievers though, I still can't see it happening and if he were to ever deal one of Hermy/Politte/Marte than he'd be getting someone else in return as well.

However, dealing one of them to open up a spot for Brad Lidge is another story.

You are right about having those guys waiting in the wings to replace a Viz or Shingo, but there are no options along those lines at replacing Hermy/Politte/Marte (when Marte is healthy).

And to add to this, they are mentioning Arizona.  Why are the Sox going to deal with Arizona?  Are they going to give us Chad Tracy or someone like that (he could play 3rd along with Crede) cause unless they are going to do something along those lines, I just don't see anything that makes sense.  I guarantee you they are looking at one of the Tigers relievers (Farnsworth may just be the guy).

The one big name I could see the Sox wanting to get from Arizona is Alex Cintron. He is out of a job basically, and he plays 2b, ss, and 3b.. which would be nice for the Sox to have in one player. It would make Willie Harris and Pablo Ozuna able to be sent to the minors when Ross Gload comes back from injury.

As for Jeff, look at the numbers he has put up his whole minor league career. He has had one stop in the minors where he had an era over 4. That's it. Last year his minor league era about about 1.50, this year its back lower than that. His numbers are awesome.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/teams/players/bio/?id=51...e=mlb-white_sox

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
Jeff Bajenaru - 2-1, 1.27 ERA, 50 K's, 21 BB's, 3 HR.

Arnie Munoz - 2-9, 3.94 ERA, 54 K's, 23 BB's

Matt Smith - 0-4, 4.82 ERA, 34 K's, 19 BB's.

Dave Sanders - 2-2, 3.38 ERA, 31 K's, 21 BB's

Kevin Walker - 0-2, 5.11 ERA, 27 K's, 15 BB's.

That's why.

I don't buy it. there were alot of prospects that put up good numbers then never make it. i am not against the guy. Maybe he works out, but if he was so damn good he would be here. If he was so damn good I would hope other teams scout him and ask for him in a trade. I really don't think williams has him as an untouchable, but who knows he might. I do not fall in love with any of these guys, they are a total crap shoot. Many here thought Brandon Mcarthy was the next mark prior because of a few spring training games. he is not, he leaves the ball up, he is not ready to pitch here, but many out of spring Training wanted him to break camp with the team as a starter. He is here, I grant them that, but he shouldn't be, which is why KW might be looking for a starter.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
Ummm....no.  Why in god sakes would the Sox deal a solid reliever (Viz pitched pretty darn admirably tonight and is showing some velocity) in order to call up an unknown like Jenks.

Plus what are the Sox getting in return.  Lets make one thing clear, Kenny isn't dealing from his pen in order to make room for Baj or Jenks this year.  The only reason they'll get a shot is if they replace someone due to injury or in Hermy's case bereavment and come up and kick ass during that time.

I totally agree. They are not trading veterans to bring up "The Baj".

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
The one big name I could see the Sox wanting to get from Arizona is Alex Cintron.  He is out of a job basically, and he plays 2b, ss, and 3b.. which would be nice for the Sox to have in one player.  It would make Willie Harris and Pablo Ozuna able to be sent to the minors when Ross Gload comes back from injury.

As for Jeff, look at the numbers he has put up his whole minor league career.  He has had one stop in the minors where he had an era over 4.  That's it.  Last year his minor league era about about 1.50, this year its back lower than that.  His numbers are awesome.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/teams/players/bio/?id=51...e=mlb-white_sox

Yes please alex cintron ..please!

As for jeff, again if he was so good he would be here. How much did he play in Spring training? Was he invited to the Big league camp? To me, there is something not right. His numbers are good but nobody except people on this board talks about him. There are pieces missing. hopefully he is great trade bait.

I would trade Jizzcan for Cintron in a second. If we have to throw in a prospect or two of our own, so be it. He's a switch-hitter that can play SS, 3B, and 2B. Then I would probably send Willie to Charlotte, get his trade value up, and package him up in a deal for whatever we need at the deadline.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
Yes please alex cintron ..please!

As for jeff, again if he was so good he would be here. How much did he play in Spring training? Was he invited to the Big league camp? To me, there is something not right. His numbers are good but nobody except people on this board talks about him. There are pieces missing. hopefully he is great trade bait.

It isn't that complex, he didn't pitch much because there wasn't a spot for him. At the time Adkins and Walker were both ahead of him, and that was with a full bullpen at the major league level. He was in the big league camp with the Sox, and got optioned to the minor league camp about halfway through the spring.

And as for trade talks, who knows if his name has come up or not. The names that are going to get talked about are the big sexy names like McCarthy, Anderson and Sweeney. Every team that calls us is going to ask for one of those guys first, but no one really is going to pay attention when you start talking about B level prospects, because outside of people like us, no one really cares.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
It isn't that complex, he didn't pitch much because there wasn't a spot for him.  At the time Adkins and Walker were both ahead of him, and that was with a full bullpen at the major league level.  He was in the big league camp with the Sox, and got optioned to the minor league camp about halfway through the spring.

And as for trade talks, who knows if his name has come up or not.  The names that are going to get talked about are the big sexy names like McCarthy, Anderson and Sweeney.  Every team that calls us is going to ask for one of those guys first, but no one really is going to pay attention when you start talking about B level prospects, because outside of people like us, no one really cares.

Well I hope he brings us a better player. I assume because of his age (I think he is 27 right) that nobody thinks he is a prospect anymore, therefore very little if any upside. Again I am not against this guy, I just find it interesting at how many here think he is great. I am no expert by any means on the minor league system, but you do hear many other names, and you never hear his name brought up anywhere or anytime...except here.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Well I hope he brings us a better player. I assume because of his age (I think he is 27 right) that nobody thinks he is a prospect anymore, therefore very little if any upside. Again I am not against this guy, I just find it interesting at how many here think he is great. I am no expert by any means on the minor league system, but you do hear many other names, and you never hear his name brought up anywhere or anytime...except here.

As a minor league reliever, you only hear about them if they throw 100 MPH.

Isn't a breavement call up free against all options and can last from 3 - 6 days? If so, why not Jenks? Give him a taste of what he can have if he stays clean, incentive if you will. Baj or Jenks most likely will only pitch in mop up if/when either are called up this season. They fall behind every pitcher we have without question except maybe Vizcaino in the pen.

No ML talent will be moved for them unless Viz or Shingo fall completely apart. Interesting though that each were extended further than normal with scouts watching.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
I'm probbly in the minority here, but I do NOT want Jenks up here when we are on our run for a pennant. Something still lingering in the back of my head that says "You've heard about this guy and everything he has brought along the way in his career." Not the personality I want in the clubhouse, but thats just me.

While I agree with you Stay Puff should not be brought up to the big league club, I disagree with your reasoning.

Plain and simple: the Sox organization are sitting on the closer of the future in Jenks--for 2006 and beyond. The kid is pitching wonderfully in AA, wowing scouts and fans alike, and hopefully, is growing up a little all the while.

Now that he's a bit older, I think you will see him lose some of that party-boy mentality when he realizes he owns an absolutely stellar arm (the likes of Farnsworth and beyond) and has bills and a family to take care of.

As of now, Baj should get the call, plain and simple. Although I'm not one for bringing up rookies in the midst of pennant race, he's out-pitched the likes of Jon Adkins, Felix Diaz, Kevin Focking Walker, etc. and deserves the call. That said, I'd still like to see Baj moved for something of value in the future. His future is not on the SouthSide. (IMO)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
If it weren't for some of the youth of this organization (Buehrle, Garland, etc) the Sox wouldn't of ever been in this position.  Nothing wrong with youth and there is absolutely no reason to knock on Baj like some have on here.  The guy has kicked absolute ass in the minors ever since recovering from surgery.  There is no board bias in his numbers, they are real.  I'm not saying he'll be great, but he'll be a quality reliever in the majors.

I'm also not calling for him to be up, but Beastly, lets not talk about how bad the guy is after 10 innings in the majors last year.  Greg Maddux wasn't stellar his 1st 10 innings, most guys aren't. 

And I do give a crap about the future of the organization.  Top prospects can either come up and help a club on the field or they can be dealt for other assets that can help a team potentially go the distance.

Deal them all, I don't want them here...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
I think Adkins should come up.  He has proven himself able to pitch in the majors.  Hell, bring Baj and Adkins up, and try to get rid of Vizcaino.  He is absolutely brutal.

You say this after probably his best outing of the year, lets give viz a couple more outings and see if he's straigtened himself out or if yesterday was just an abberation.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
I think Adkins should come up.  He has proven himself able to pitch in the majors.  Hell, bring Baj and Adkins up, and try to get rid of Vizcaino.  He is absolutely brutal.

Agreed. I only want him up here because he was decent in our bullpen for a year last year.

But seriously, we all got hung up on Royce Ring, Kris Honel, Joe Blow, Mike Morse and Jeremy Reed. They will never live up to the numbers they put down at the minor league level. I will never see Jeremy Reed be that good.

And for the old timers, they want to win. They don't give a flying f*** about guys at AAA...wouldn't you rather win a series and deal some prospects to get the pieces that are essential to put yourself over the top.