Could Baj be on his way Up???

Chisoxfn

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
Ok, you brought up the yanks, they have been pretty consistant over the years at trading away the farm to go and get players, which I like. No tap dance, just the thought that people don't look at the minors the same as you.

I brought up the yanks as an example and how they traded away their farm system and are now screwed.. in direct response to Ross stating "deal them all, I don't want them here".

And I don't know how you think I look at the minors.. but the truth is, I barely do.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
The Yankees are in a worse position than in any years recently, comparatively speaking.  However, I wouldn't count them out, especially on the last day of June.

Agree.. yet I wasn't doing that.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
The Yankees are in a worse position than in any years recently, comparatively speaking.  However, I wouldn't count them out, especially on the last day of June.

Jim we are clearly getting away from the point. My original point is and remains, trade prospects to get players to make you better this year. We are making a run for it. Its our best oppty in years. Trade whoever you need to trade. That is my point. I don't care if Baj is great in the minors or if he posts here. I don't care if people know the players personally. Win the damn thing. that is all that matters.

I couldn't believe you thought Ross Gload was older than his listed age, and owed Jim dinner... :P

Thanks for reminding me ...

Hmmmm ...

As long as it's not dinner at Red Door in downtown Naperville. Stop with those chicken wings, they were an abomination (that means bad).

As for that greasy fat burger, do you think they can add another two liters of grease the next time? As if there weren't enough? Also do you think you can dump another salt shaker over those fries? At least the PBR was good. Next time I will pack a PB+J.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Jim we are clearly getting away from the point. My original point is and remains, trade prospects to get players to make you better this year. We are making a run for it. Its our best oppty in years. Trade whoever you need to trade. That is my point. I don't care if Baj is great in the minors or if he posts here. I don't care if people know the players personally. Win the damn thing. that is all that matters.

LMAO!!!

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)

I'm not counting them out but they have put themselves in a terrible position. I don't think they're going anywhere this year but they are the yanks and I won't ever count them out of anything.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
I'm not counting them out but they have put themselves in a terrible position.  I don't think they're going anywhere this year but they are the yanks and I won't ever count them out of anything.

I don't think they are going anywhere positive for a couple years. They've screwed themselves bad.. which is a position I don't want to see the Sox in. Getting someone for our prospects doesn't guarantee anything. It sure would suck for us to get pinned down to something.. pee ourselves in October and not have any backup for 2 or 3 years.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)

:cheers Thank you! Thats all I wanted to see. I don't care if any of you know the players personally or if they post here either. The Sox are in a great position to win right now.

I also think they are at a cross roads. They can take the direction to stay with what they have, and take a risk through the playoffs. Or they could make a move, pick up a starter, a relief pitcher, or a utility guy. Something to put them over the top would be nice.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Thanks for reminding me ...

Hmmmm ...

As long as it's not dinner at Red Door in downtown Naperville.  Stop with those chicken wings, they were an abomination (that means bad).

As for that greasy fat burger, do you think they can add another two liters of grease the next time?  As if there weren't enough?  Also do you think you can dump another salt shaker over those fries?  At least the PBR was good.  Next time I will pack a PB+J.

there won't be a next time.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
I don't think they are going anywhere positive for a couple years. They've screwed themselves bad.. which is a position I don't want to see the Sox in. Getting someone for our prospects doesn't guarantee anything. It sure would suck for us to get pinned down to something.. pee ourselves in October and not have any backup for 2 or 3 years.

Oh god, I completely agree. Thankfully contrary to what some people believe we do have a ton of depth down in the minors now and if we do make a trade this year we got prospects to do it with and prospects to back those guys up.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Oh god, I completely agree.  Thankfully contrary to what some people believe we do have a ton of depth down in the minors now and if we do make a trade this year we got prospects to do it with and prospects to back those guys up.

I have no idea what we have.. I don't pay attention to the minor leaguers until they get called up. But I'm not stupid enough to ship them all out for a 50/50 chance that we even make it to the playoffs.

Yes. Great oppotunity here in '05. Go for it, this is the deepest team in years, this talent level blows away the 2000 team.

Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. My point in bringing up the Yankees is despite half of them have AARP cards, they know how to win. There are still 3 months left and my guess is they will be in it to the end. As such, it relates, because you have to try and stack the deck to give yourself the best chance vs. playoff tested teams.

The Central is not decided yet but Sox mgmt. has to begin considering how the team matches up vs. those East and West powers. What is the best way to shut those teams down? Pitching. Acquiring pitching is expensive, sometimes (often) you have to give up guys you don't want to give up.

So basically we agree, go figure. I must not be feeling well today.

I have no idea what we have.. I don't pay attention to the minor leaguers until they get called up. But I'm not stupid enough to ship them all out for a 50/50 chance that we even make it to the playoffs.

Steff, it is difficult to quantify odds because it's an inexact science. But if I had to lay odds of the Sox making it to the postseason, I would say they are much greater than a toss up (50/50).

Personally I think the Sox are positioned extremely well to make the playoffs, and I am as skeptical as they come. The Sox are deep.

As for prospects ... there is precious little in AAA beyond Brian Anderson. Bajenaru might have marginal trade value as would Munoz ... but they would be pieces of a bigger deal. Stand alone IMO those two guys get you nothing of substance. AA is where the quality sits, those being Sweeney, Chris Young, Tracey, and Jenks if his head is screwed on straight.

The system is weak in position players, and much stronger in pitching. I think that's by design. Shafer/Wilder etc. have always said you can trade pitching to get what you need, and they are right. Even if 2-3 arms are traded, there are more coming up. Sox have concentrated on college arms which arguably means they are closer to the majors.

So in a nutshell, they have some pitching depth "if" another team wants prospects that aren't ready in 2005 or even 2006. As for major league ready guys right now, I would say Anderson and Bajenaru and possibly Jenks. That's it. I do not count McCarthy as a prospect because he's with the Sox at present.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)

really we are at 50/50. Ok I see your point if we are at 50/50.

Jim.. Appreciate the insight.. but I don't care about the minor leaguers.

If the deal is right and it betters us, then trade whomever.

"Deal them all, I don't want them here..." stupid comment, IMO.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)

Again, you love to bring up anything I say, just to get me to come back and look like an idiot. If I really could say everything I wanted to about you on this board, I think I could ruin you, and you would be the one who would be laughed at, not me. Thats what I'm going to leave it at, I'm not completely clueless about you.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)

I think we all agree then. I think beastly in an abrupt way meant the same thing. Trade anyone in the minors to get you better players for the majors. We have two players on the DL now and they are key players. They most likely will be hurt longer than 15 days. I am not a doctor but marte has probably been hurt for a month now.IMO hernandez doesn't come back next week.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
Again, you love to bring up anything I say, just to get me to come back and look like an idiot. If I really could say everything I wanted to about you on this board, I think I could ruin you, and you would be the one who would be laughed at, not me. Thats what I'm going to leave it at, I'm not completely clueless about you.

Oooh threats. :lol:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Steff and Beastly need to stop exchanging barbs before this gets ugly.

Yes YAS.. because clearly someone can't handle someone disagreeing with their opinion..

:rolly

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
I think we all agree then. I think beastly in an abrupt way meant the same thing. Trade anyone in the minors to get you better players for the majors. We have two players on the DL now and they are key players. They most likely will be hurt longer than 15 days. I am not a doctor but marte has probably been hurt for a month now.IMO hernandez doesn't come back next week.

Uh oh.. watch out.. he's gonna "ruin" you too.. :lolhitting

I agree about Marte.. IMO something's been amiss since around the Rangers series in mid may.