6/30 - Sox vs. Tigers Game Thread 12pm CT

Spiff

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
What would you prefer? Better pitching and not so good hitting, or better hitting and not so good pitching, because we all know where that got us.

My problem with the offense is that they swing out their ass every single time they get up to the plate. Watching guys take full home runs cuts with men on and 2 strikes is frustrating. Yes when they connect is makes for a nice rainbow home runs. This team has to do the little things to be sucessful. They lost some power from last year. They have to do more than just be one dimensional.

And yet people have put him forward as a possible 5th starter trade option. He's given up 4 ER in his last 3 starts BTW.

EDIT: THis was referring to Jabroni's post about Estes.

Edited by DBAH0

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
My problem with the offense is that they swing out their ass every single time they get up to the plate.  Watching guys take full home runs cuts with men on and 2 strikes is frustrating.  Yes when they connect is makes for a nice rainbow home runs.  This team has to do the little things to be sucessful.  They lost some power from last year.  They have to do more than just be one dimensional.

AMEN!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
The problem here is that you assume our pitching will remain at a constant level all season.  Given that El Duque has been inconsistent and injured, 2 of our bullpen guys have been inconsistent, we don't know how long we can count on Contreras, and this has thus far been a breakout season for Garland, Cotts, Politte, and a few others, the question remains; can we keep winning with pitching all year.

We can if everything continues the way it has.  But everyone knew in May that we would need the offense to pick up for this team to really put everyone away.  It's showed some signs of doing it for most of June...we just need to not slow down (i.e. the past few games) for long periods any more this season.

The problem here is that you assume our hitting will remain at a s***ty level all season. Given that Frank has been inconsistent and injured, Paulie and Crede have been inconsistent, the answer remains: we can start cleaning people's clocks once we start hitting.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
My problem with the offense is that they swing out their ass every single time they get up to the plate.  Watching guys take full home runs cuts with men on and 2 strikes is frustrating.  Yes when they connect is makes for a nice rainbow home runs.  This team has to do the little things to be sucessful.  They lost some power from last year.  They have to do more than just be one dimensional.

Scott Podsednik

Tadahito Iguchi

Aaron Rowand

So they all try to hit for homers everytime they come up? GMAFB.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
The problem here is that you assume our hitting will remain at a s***ty level all season. Given that Frank has been inconsistent and injured, Paulie and Crede have been inconsistent, the answer remains: we can start cleaning people's clocks once we start hitting.

If this offense starts to hit consistantly we will be unstoppable. And that includes in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
The problem here is that you assume our pitching will remain at a constant level all season.  Given that El Duque has been inconsistent and injured, 2 of our bullpen guys have been inconsistent, we don't know how long we can count on Contreras, and this has thus far been a breakout season for Garland, Cotts, Politte, and a few others, the question remains; can we keep winning with pitching all year.

We can if everything continues the way it has.  But everyone knew in May that we would need the offense to pick up for this team to really put everyone away.  It's showed some signs of doing it for most of June...we just need to not slow down (i.e. the past few games) for long periods any more this season.

IN 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004...All the comments were...We need pitching, we can't rely on our Bats all year. What if they go cold??

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
If you take away the 10 positive posts in this thread...you'd think we were losing 15-0.  I used to like reading game threads...I'd actually get a feel for what was going on....but now it's just a b**** fest.  From the time the game started there was b****ing....

I completely agree. What happened to the enthusiasm when this team was winning. These threads are no longer enjoyable.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Jun 30 @ 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
Thank you for not making that green as you threatened earlier.  Somehow the appreciated dryness would be ruined with the colour change.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Haha, I already forgot I said that. :lolhitting

Doesn't surprise me that you forgot. You're a natural to the point of not thinking about it. If there was a list of posters 'excluded from using green', you'd be the 1st member. :notworthy I still get a laugh out of the 'well that sucks' comment from a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking it was the 10 run inning.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
Scott Podsednik

Tadahito Iguchi

Aaron Rowand

So they all try to hit for homers everytime they come up? GMAFB.

Pauly/Dye/Thomas/Crede/Uribe/Arow really shorten their swings up on 2 strikes.

Pods and Gooch I will give you.