Paul Konerko Will Sign With The Sox???

Southside hitmen

Giambi - He's not playing everyday this season, what does that tell you. They'll buy him out, or get an upgrade e.g Paulie. Just because they're paying him heaps, they're not forced to play him everyday if he's not performing. They're the Yankees.

Overbay - Milwaulkee are going to really want something big for him in a trade. Just look at his splits. And if any team is going to get him, it's the New York Mets.

1B next year - If Konerko stays, then that position is locked up, but I don't want more than $10 million per season in a contract with him. He's streaky and can't hit lefties. Now if he does leave, the options are;

1 - Move Dye to 1st base and Brian Anderson to RF. Total saving of about $8 million.

2 - Sign someone like J.T Snow or Doug Mientkiewicz. Total saving of about $5 to 6 million.

3 - Let Ross Gload play everyday or sign a platoon partner. Total saving of about $6 to $7 million.

I like the 1st option the best IF Dye can handle 1st, but I wouldn't mind Snow on the southside. He's a lefty AB, a great fielder, and hits for good average with a little pop that would increase at the Cell.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
I'll take Ross Gload, thank you very much. Use our money elsewhere.

Yeah, on like Mark Mulder...isn't he a free agent after this year?

Buerhle

Garland

Mulder

Garcia

Contreras/El Pukee/McCarthy/Schmidt

I like that. Hey, I can dream.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
He is a southside Sox fan...so that's what I'm hoping for...money isn't everything ya know :bang

For some strange reason, people will go to another team for less money if they think it is right for them or if they like the town....See: Jermaine Dye.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:48 AM)
He is a southside Sox fan...so that's what I'm hoping for...money isn't everything ya know :bang

The Cards have a 7.25 million team option on him for 2006. They'll use it. Expect them to get a long - term deal done before he hits FA.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:49 AM)
For some strange reason, people will go to another team for less money if they think it is right for them or if they like the town....See: Jermaine Dye.

Actually on Dye, he said he went to the Sox because they made him the first offer. Arizona offered him more money, but because the Sox already offered him a deal, he decided to take it, so the D-Backs had to settle for Jose Cruz Jr. who's hitting about .210.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Actually on Dye, he said he went to the Sox because they made him the first offer. Arizona offered him more money, but because the Sox already offered him a deal, he decided to take it, so the D-Backs had to settle for Jose Cruz Jr. who's hitting about .210.

Actually I believe it was more that he had already accepted a deal in principle from the Sox...Arizona was calling him and upping their offer while he was taking his physical, and he wasn't going to back out on our deal after he had already given a verbal agreement, even though he was technically not locked in at that point.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Actually I believe it was more that he had already accepted a deal in principle from the Sox...Arizona was calling him and upping their offer while he was taking his physical, and he wasn't going to back out on our deal after he had already given a verbal agreement, even though he was technically not locked in at that point.

Paulie likes playing he's played well for the sox. If we can't come to terms I like the idea of getting a better fielding first baseman with more range. SOmeone who can run the bases and hit for average.. Who could lay down a bunt instead of hitting into a double play.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)

Almost positive it was Texas that made the superior offer

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:50 AM)
Almost positive it was Texas that made the superior offer

I heard it was the D-Backs, it'll be interesting to look it back up and see who was right. :D

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
everyone on this board who wants ross gload over paul konerko really needs to look at the possibilty of setting themselves on fire. seriously.

Ross Gload at $1 mill > Paul Konerko at $8-10 mill

Just like how Podsednik and Vizcaino at rougly $2 mill > Lee at $8 mill

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
everyone on this board who wants ross gload over paul konerko really needs to look at the possibilty of setting themselves on fire. seriously.

Wow :banghead

Ross Gload+8-10 mil to spend in FA>>Konerko

But what's the sense is using logic