blurb on gio

daa84

Chris D.: (Madison, Wis.): Thanks for being here, Jim. I know the White Sox brass is high on Gio Gonzales. Is he really a plus prospect?

Jim Callis: Yes. He's a lefty who has an out-pitch curveball and locate a fringe-average fastball at will. He's the real deal.

i know it aint much but thouhgt some of you might wanna see it.

i still cant really figure out whether thats much of a compliment about his fastball. i suppose its a compliment about his control, but sayin it dont light up radar guns.... which essentially is nothing we didnt know

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
i know it aint much but thouhgt some of you might wanna see it.

i still cant really figure out whether thats much of a compliment about his fastball. i suppose its a compliment about his control, but sayin it dont light up radar guns.... which essentially is nothing we didnt know

I know another lefty who doesnt light up the radar gun, has good breaking stuff and control. Mark Buehrle.

MPH=overrated

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
I really want to get excited about Gio... but with all the hot-to-trot prospects that have flammed out... im gonna stay cautious. I know that every org must go through the same trials... but still.

That and I'm worried about injuries with him. He's already been on the DL this year and he got hurt in his W-S debut and hasn't pitched since (like a week). He has a small frame for a guy that uses a curveball as his out pitch.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
I really want to get excited about Gio... but with all the hot-to-trot prospects that have flammed out... im gonna stay cautious. I know that every org must go through the same trials... but still.

Typically I tab guys as players to watch in the lower levels, but I try not to get excited until they produce in AA. Once they prove they can play in AA, than I think its just a matter of time until they get their chance in the majors.

AA is the level that shows you whose for real (in terms of prospects) and who isn't and than those real prospects will get their shot at the majors and see if they can cut it at that level.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
Typically I tab guys as players to watch in the lower levels, but I try not to get excited until they produce in AA.  Once they prove they can play in AA, than I think its just a matter of time until they get their chance in the majors. 

AA is the level that shows you whose for real (in terms of prospects) and who isn't and than those real prospects will get their shot at the majors and see if they can cut it at that level.

What happened to Arnie Munoz though :ph34r: But in all honesty im really excited about Gio and I think of him as a better prospect than B-Mac, also i do believe Munoz has a future in the bullpen :P

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
But in all honesty im really excited about Gio and I think of him as a better prospect than B-Mac, also i do believe Munoz has a future in the bullpen  :P

That's ridiculous. Gio has been hurt twice this year while BMac has already mowed through high A and AA (well maybe not mowed through AA, but succeeded in a short time), something Gio has not done. Add to that BMac has had 2 good starts in the bigs. Odds are most prospects from low A (I'll say Gio is low A because he hasn't proven anything in high A) don't do that well.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
That's ridiculous. Gio has been hurt twice this year while BMac has already mowed through high A and AA (well maybe not mowed through AA, but succeeded in a short time), something Gio has not done. Add to that BMac has had 2 good starts in the bigs. Odds are most prospects from low A (I'll say Gio is low A because he hasn't proven anything in high A) don't do that well.

B-Mac has been getting owned in AAA really bad and for the most part he has been getting really owned in the majors. And idonno if he is a little hurt or scared or whatevr but he doesnt look anywhere close to the pitcher he was in spring training(I know he wouldnt have the same stats but i mean of how he was using his pitches and his confidence)

I guess i might be reaching a little saying Gio is the better prospect what I really mean is if he does make it I think he will be better than B-Mac is....

Edited by SoxFan101