What's Monroe Smoking?

The Ginger Kid

After today's game...

``This is tough, because we feel like we are the better team,'' Craig Monroe said. ``But being the best team on paper doesn't mean anything. They came in here and did everything they needed to do, and that's hard to accept.''

Better on toilet paper, maybe!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to revisit this gem from Mr. Dimitri Young from earlier this year:

"Forget the other teams, it's going to come down to us and Cleveland. No disrespect to the Twins and White Sox, I just feel that club, the doggone Indians, is going to be the thorn in our side."

Well, not sure what games Monroe was watching, but Alan Trammel gave us some mad props after todays game. From MLB.com...

Manager Alan Trammell was understandably frustrated with the loss. But he was also in awe of the White Sox.

"Look at how they ended the game," Trammell said, pointing to center fielder Aaron Rowand's diving catch to complete Garcia's effort. "That's the kind of level of play that they're staying at the whole game. When you're playing as well as they have for such a long time, it's a great feeling. They're playing the game the right way. I don't like getting beat, but I do appreciate good baseball. They are playing extremely good baseball."

Edited by KevHead0881

For Nook's Sake let's compare positions:

C: I-Rod vs. AJ- I-Rod

1B: Konerko vs. Shelton- Konerko

2B: Polanco vs. Iguchi- Iguchi

3B: Inge vs. Crede- Inge

SS: Guillen vs. Uribe- Guillen

RF: Ordonez? vs. Dye- Dye

CF: Logan vs. Aaron- Aaron

LF: Pods vs. White- Pods

DH: Frank vs. ?- Frank

I'm not even gonna compare the rest cause all that is in the Sox favor.

3 out of 9 positions go to the tigers. enough said.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
After today's game...

Better on toilet paper, maybe!

I said this in another thread, the Tigers remind me of the 01-04 White Sox. The talent appears to be there, the team hitting stats are there, the team ERA stat is there, they're just having a lot of hard luck. The frustration causes them to make those kinds of comments. I don't mind it, if you're gonna be successful, you'd BETTER believe you are the most talented team in the division. The AL Central is gonna be tough and a lot of fun for the next few years at least.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
For Nook's Sake let's compare positions:

C: I-Rod vs. AJ- I-Rod

1B: Konerko vs. Shelton- Konerko

2B: Polanco vs. Iguchi- Iguchi

3B: Inge vs. Crede- Inge

SS: Guillen vs. Uribe- Guillen

RF: Ordonez? vs. Dye- Dye

CF: Logan vs. Aaron- Aaron

LF: Pods vs. White- Pods

DH: Frank vs. ?- Frank

I'm not even gonna compare the rest cause all that is in the Sox favor.

3 out of 9 positions go to the tigers.  enough said.

Since that just so happens to be both team's exact batting orders. :rolly

If you want to compare teams offensively, you compare lineups. That simple. Detroit is a better run scoring team than the Sox, and that is very simple to see. The Sox have a better overall defense along with a better pitching staff, while being older and a little more patient at the plate(and that is scary, because the Sox, in general, have very little patience at the plate)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Well, to be fair, that Cleveland-Detroit race is neck-and-neck. Dmitri had it right. He didn't say anything about the lead for the division. He was clearly talking about third place.

Not really, Cleveland has a 5 game lead ;)

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 05:02 AM)
I know Inge is hitting better than Crede, but he's far from a good defender. His error total is killing my keeper team.

Overall, in terms of team impact, Inge is much more valuable than Joe Crede, what with his .385 OBP and .300 AVG out of the leadoff spot. But I hear you, converted catchers don't usually make for the most nimble third basemen.

Really, besides pitching (which is the primary aspect of defense), the strength of this Sox team is their defense up the middle.

I look at the Tigers, and I see a comparable team in that regard, minus the pitching. With Rodriguez at C, Polanco at 2B, Guillen at SS, and Logan in CF, they're a respectable defensive squad overall, despite what anyone is doing on the corners.

Our position players on a whole are better defenders , but not that much better than what the Tigers have. However, our pitching absolutely blows theirs out of the water...Monroe is indeed f***ed in the head.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 05:56 AM)
Monroe knows he'll be on the bench in the future most likely when Maggs comes back, so he's trying to keep himself in the news.

Monroe had a pretty crazy OPS in the 2nd half last year. I had him down as a good sleeper pick before the season started. He's on pace for close to 100 RBI this year, but overall, he's been disappointing.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Monroe had a pretty crazy OPS in the 2nd half last year.  I had him down as a good sleeper pick before the season started.  He's on pace for close to 100 RBI this year, but overall, he's been disappointing.

Curtis Granderson will be playing CF by 2006 and Maggs has RF sewn up until what 2012? Poor Craig Monroe. :lolhitting

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:10 AM)
Curtis Granderson will be playing CF by 2006 and Maggs has RF sewn up until what 2012? Poor Craig Monroe.  :lolhitting

So, Nook Logan isn't the long-term answer in CF? Because that dude has an awesome glove. He kinda reminds me of Gary Matthews Jr.

But yeah, defense alone isn't enough to hold onto a starting CF job in this league, unlike 3B or C. He doesn't appear to have much offensive potential.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
So, Nook Logan isn't the long-term answer in CF?  Because that dude has an awesome glove.  He kinda reminds me of Gary Matthews Jr. 

But yeah, defense alone isn't enough to hold onto a starting CF job in this league, unlike 3B or C.  He doesn't appear to have much offensive potential.

IIRC he really struggles against righties even though he's a switch hitter. He seems to be nothing more than a 4th outfielder at best for me.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
Since that just so happens to be both team's exact batting orders.  :rolly

If you want to compare teams offensively, you compare lineups.  That simple.  Detroit is a better run scoring team than the Sox,  and that is very simple to see.  The Sox have a better overall defense along with a better pitching staff, while being older and a little more patient at the plate(and that is scary, because the Sox, in general, have very little patience at the plate)

2005 Runs scored

Sox = 370

Det = 334

Ya. I see your point.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Yes the Tiggies lineup looks good on paper. But when you strike out a lot as hitters and don't draw any walks, you ain't going to score many runs unless you can hit for a lot of power, which is almost impossible at Comerica.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Yes the Tiggies lineup looks good on paper. But when you strike out a lot as hitters and don't draw any walks, you ain't going to score many runs unless you can hit for a lot of power, which is almost impossible at Comerica.

well to be fair they are kind of banged up, Maggz missed basicly whole season because of that hernia surgery, guillen is batting like .350 but has been on the DL a lot, Pudge is playing hurt... those are 3 really good guys that arent 100% or havent played much if at all.