Gary Ward on the hotseat?

delben91

Courtesy of The Sporting News:

MAY FORECAST

Unless the offense starts living up to lofty expectations, hitting coach Gary Ward will be out of a job. Charlotte hitting coach Greg Walker is a likely replacement.

Click here for the entire team report.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing him gone, he's been pretty much unable to get slumping hitters turned around on anything resembling a regular basis. At the same time, I know nothing about Greg Walker, so whether he'd be an upgrade or not, I don't know.

Courtesy of The Sporting News:

MAY FORECAST

Unless the offense starts living up to lofty expectations, hitting coach Gary Ward will be out of a job. Charlotte hitting coach Greg Walker is a likely replacement.

Click here for the entire team report.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing him gone, he's been pretty much unable to get slumping hitters turned around on anything resembling a regular basis. At the same time, I know nothing about Greg Walker, so whether he'd be an upgrade or not, I don't know.

I am not sure about Walker. Rumor has it the hitters at Charlotte last year were quite frustrated with him as their hitting coach.

Or Walt Hrniak. Frank loves that guy...

Hriniak rubs some people the wrong way - players love him or hate him. I want him around for Frank and maybe anyone else who wants to try it his way. But saying no to Walker based on Rex Hundler's comments, which I take very seriously, who else is there out there - let alone available?

we should have never fired von...that guy was stand up and had a great work ethic...but thats in the past

who is out there???...what about harold baines....i know the arguements about him being too quiet...but sometimes thats a good thing...because when he does have something to say people will listen...its the guy that talks all the time that when he does have something important to say has already lost the audience...

wouldnt take the birmingham hitting instructor based on the box scores ive seen :o ...but it could be just not enough talent down there since we seem to have plenty of arms and not many bats in the system

trying to think of guys that were smart hitters..is lamar johnson still with KC???...isnt it time for him to come home???

we should have never fired von...that guy was stand up and had a great work ethic...but thats in the past

who is out there???...what about harold baines....i know the arguements about him being too quiet...but sometimes thats a good thing...because when he does have something to say people will listen...its the guy that talks all the time that when he does have something important to say has already lost the audience...

wouldnt take the birmingham hitting instructor based on the box scores ive seen :o ...but it could be just not enough talent down there since we seem to have plenty of arms and not many bats in the system

trying to think of guys that were smart hitters..is lamar johnson still with KC???...isnt it time for him to come home???

From what I hear Gregg Ritchie, the Barons hitting coach is very well respected. However, it will be difficult for him to get there because he never played in the Majors. That is almost a prerequisite these days.

From what I hear Gregg Ritchie, the Barons hitting coach is very well respected. However, it will be difficult for him to get there because he never played in the Majors. That is almost a prerequisite these days.

That is why I am guessing Harold, he has been hanging around alot lately :huh:

Any coach can only TRY and help. It's up to the players to deliver. However, if there is ever a change contemplated I would hope it was either Harold Baines, or Hriniak. I don't see how some of these so called hitting coaches make it when they never hit above the Mendoza line in their careers.

Hire two hitting coaches. Have someone else who can handle hitting coach duties as well as the hitting coach. The Cubs staff currently has two pitching coaches (Pole and Rothschild) and two hitting coaches (Sarge and someone else, forget his name).