Ever Notice

jerseysox

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)
game threads would be great if actual discussion took place there. the constant "dye flies out. 2 outs" and the like are useless. about 8 percent of it is good.

I'm not even complaining about that. That's play-by-play and helps those who can't see the game. My problem is with posts like "Dye flies out, we totally suck today, f*** Dye, etc". I'm guilty of some of this stuff too. Thats why I've tried to stay out of there while the game is taking place. The emotions of the game sometimes override rational thought.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
People just can't seem to jump over that hump that this team is for real, and not going away. I know it doesnt happen much Sox fans, but let your guard down a little bit, enjoy, and have faith in this team.

A lot of sox fans are still not convinced this team is for real. After a two or three game losing streak a lot of people here are saying "back to earth we go." Thats why I usually don't like to come after a tough loss or after a little skid.

You can't blame people though, I mean we have had our times the past couple season where we have been good but this good? Arguing about this isn't going to do much, the only thing that will is winning this division, which these sox are totally capable of.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
game threads would be great if actual discussion took place there. the constant "dye flies out. 2 outs" and the like are useless. about 8 percent of it is good.

When there are certain posters there *cough*jim *cough* and a few others there is great discussion in there. When they are not it is pretty s***ty overall, like today. Well today was actually pretty funny at the end.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
I'm not even complaining about that.  That's play-by-play and helps those who can't see the game.  My problem is with posts like "Dye flies out, we totally suck today, f*** Dye, etc".  I'm guilty of some of this stuff too.  Thats why I've tried to stay out of there while the game is taking place.  The emotions of the game sometimes override rational thought.

but let's say you have the internet and can't see the game. aren't you going to just watch the game on mlb.com or cbssportsline?

i agree though. the constant b****ing and knee jerk reactions do get boring and tiresome.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
but let's say you have the internet and can't see the game. aren't you going to just watch the game on mlb.com or cbssportsline?

i agree though. the constant b****ing and knee jerk reactions do get boring and tiresome.

Mlb.com and cbs both run into troubles alot i have heard... therefore the people reading the game thread for quicker updates. Not to mention the updates are almost instantly.

The Sox have the advantage in the pitching matchup in any series. The way Ozzie has managed the pen for the most part this season (though some may not like the way it's handled at times) should keep them healthy and ready to go come September, so as long as the starters stay healthy enough, there's no doubt in my mind that no team can match the Sox pitching staff. The problem arises when said pitching staff gets little to no run support. This is where the Sox could get in trouble in the playoffs. That would leave Boston and St. Louis as the two teams that worry me the most, as both have solid pitching staffs, and both have offenses that can put up big numbers for said pitching staffs. Anaheim doesn't worry me too much, because we played well against them, and as long as Vlad is held in check (not as easy feat to accomplish, but if any staff can, it's the White Sox staff), it's the same team. Just out of curiosity, who else wants to see a White Sox-Cardinals World Series?

Completely disagree with the thought that both Anaheim and Boston are better than the Sox. Anaheim does not have much after Colon at all. They have depth in the rotation, something more important for the regular season than the postseason. And who is to say that Schilling is going to come back at full strength and be a force on the mound in the 2nd half of the year? He's 38 years old, its not like he's a young guy out there anymore. And Clement was extremly bad in the second half next year, almost allowing 2 homers per start. He does that this year, and he is gonna help leave the division open for Baltimore, New York, or Toronto to take.

The Sox 1-2-3 of Buehrle-Garcia-Garland has been untouchable at times. 2 of those 3 are pitching well, and teams are probably not going to win any series against the Sox. Whose 1-2-3 matches up against the Sox 1-2-3 with any type of favor? I can think of maybe Minnesota, perhaps Anaheim, and if Schilling can come back healthy and pitching well, there is an argument that can be made for Boston too.

All of this not mentioning bullpens...the Sox 1-2-3 of Cotts-Politte-Hermanson has been possibly the best in the majors this year, and if Marte comes back, or if other solid relievers are brought in, the pen will be rather deep as well. The Angels is solid, but the Red Sox pen is one of the worst in the league. Add that to the fact that the lineup is solid in all aspects 1-9, and that the bench is rather deep too, and you undoubtedly have the best all-around team in the majors. Both Boston and Anaheim, due to their tendency to base nearly their entire offense on the home run, are both very streaky...you all saw what happens to Boston when they get cold in games 1-3 of the ALCS last year...difference is, the Sox probably would have closed game 4 or 5 out.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
The only team I can think of that has a competitive 1-2-3 to Buehrle-Garland/Garcia would be St. Louis's 1-2-3 of Mulder/Morris/Carpenter in any order, because one isn't much better than the other two, but all 3 are VERY solid.

Mulder's been pretty brutal this year (not bad, but not up to his usual), but he could right himself by October, I suppose.

I'm not worried about Boston in the ALCS because all we need to do is take one against Schilling or Clement before we run into Wells and Wakefield or Miller. I'd take ANY of our starters (well, not Brandon, you know what I mean) against those guys. Schilling and Clement are pitching 4 games, tops. Anahiem worries me a little. if Escobar comes back he adds another threat, as he has great stuff and was pitching well, and Lackey had our number. Washburn and Byrd don't scare me at all however. I'm definitely not worried about Texas, and outside of the Unit no one really worries me on the Yankees.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Boston is the best team in baseball right now.

Why?

Because they won the World Series last year.

They are the best team in baseball until they lose in the playoffs.

If we want to be the best team in baseball...Mark Buehrle and others need to end the season jumping up and down covered in champagne.

I don't care about records, I don't care about numbers, I don't care about bullpens, I don't care about offense, I don't care about defense.

They are the champions until someone else wins it. That is the end of the story.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
Rightfully so, as THEY'RE HARDLY EVEN IN THE WILD CARD RACE! Everyone needs to stop giving this $200 million failure too much credit.

Keep talking, they're still a better team than most. They were sucking for long stretches last year too, and they still would have been in the series if not for one of the greatest collapses in baseball history. They've still got some very good hitters and two horses at the back of the pen. Plus Randy is still there, and Mussina is okay. I wouldn't totally write them off yet. They're 6 out in the division and 3 1/2 out in the wild card. I've seen much bigger leads disappear.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
Keep talking, they're still a better team than most. They were sucking for long stretches last year too, and they still would have been in the series if not for one of the greatest collapses in baseball history. They've still got some very good hitters and two horses at the back of the pen. Plus Randy is still there, and Mussina is okay. I wouldn't totally write them off yet. They're 6 out in the division and 3 1/2 out in the wild card. I've seen much bigger leads disappear.

I absolutely agree. They could run off another 10 in a row like they did earlier and be right back in it. To think they won't is kind of foolish. As is forgetting the Twins in this discussion. I expect them to push the Sox to the very end. They are a great second half team and they will gel, in my opinion. At the very least they will win the wild card, IMO, and would love nothing more than a shot at the Sox in the playoffs.

I watch a LOT of Anaheim living in SoCal, and I can tell you right now that 1 through 9 they're a better hitting team than the Sox, but not a better team overall. Pitching and injuries are all too frequent problems for them this year. Vlad, however, scares the piss out of me. That guy's amazing.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
I disagree, for this reason. Schilling/Clement and, to a lesser extent, Colon, are essentially power pitchers, whereas Mark is a finesse guy. I think that makes him inherently less reliable, because of his reliance on things like defense and trickery. Sure, Uribe/Crede are solid, but they're still human. They're still going to make mistakes.

If you strike guys out rather than induce grounders, as long as the guy behind the plate has a rudimentary catching ability, you're a lot better off.

Get the f*** outta here. It's a case-by-case basis. Nobody is stupid enough to say that Clement in his prime or Colon in his prime is more reliable than Maddux in his prime.

I ain't feeling any of your pitching theories. They're out there like f***ing Pluto.

I hate this theory of how people think if you can't strike people out as a pitcher you won't be successful. Sure it helps, but it's not the end all to be all. Randy Johnson and Johan Santana have crazy K numbers, but are they pitching at their best this season? Absolutely freaking not.