Oddest Family Vacation

Soxy

So, I thought I would ask around for people's craziest family vacay destinations.

I have a couple (and let it be known now that my family was HUGE into the educational vacation):

1.) Spam Museum in Austin, MN. Yep, I've been there and my mom has the pictures to prove it. When you walk in you're greeted by a Spambassador and get free samples of Spam throughout. Finish by going to the gift shop.

2.) We went on a day trip to a bog somewhere in Northern IL. Horrible, there were snakes and it smelled bad. We had lunch at a resturaunt that was made out of a decommissioned train. That also was really sketch

3.) Civil War Diarama in Atlanta, GA. Literally a 360 painting of scenes from the Civil War.

I can't remember a lot more, but, uh, I'm sure they're more....

We didn't go to attractions as odd as those, but our vacations usually consisted of waking up very early and driving all day long from one sight to another (historical landmarks, sights, etc) and this was usually in unbearable heat. I was always jealous of friends who went to Mexico to just kick back and relax.

Could never figure out my parents. Our vacations must've been more stressful than their everyday jobs.

Usually our vacations consist of our family flying somewhere and spending our time shopping and eating, with some sight-seeing mixed in (ie San Francisco, New Orleans, and San Antonio, all of which were pretty cool). Our one semi-unusual one I remember were us taking a driving tour through Ohio and Indiana (it was two years ago) for about a week. We hit a lot of neat places. Here's the spots:

College Football Hall of Fame (South Bend, Indiana)

Pro Football Hall of Fame (Canton, Ohio)

NCAA Hall of Champions (Indianapolis, Indiana)

Cedar Point Amusement Park (Sandusky?, Ohio)

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland, Ohio)

If we had to do it again, I'd drop the Hall of Champions, and maybe the College Football Hall of Fame, then make the trip a little longer and hit the Louisville Slugger Factory and the Corvette factory. The Pro Football HOF, The Rock and Roll HOF, and Cedar Point were all awesome though.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

It wasn't a family vacation, but in year 8, we went on a 4 to 5 day field trip out to another state looking at German History. E.g going to some old women's house, going to some German Village and eating bratwurst etc.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
2.) We went on a day trip to a bog somewhere in Northern IL. Horrible, there were snakes and it smelled bad. We had lunch at a resturaunt that was made out of a decommissioned train. That also was really sketch

I'm assuming that was Volo Bog.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
Coors Brewery in Golden, CO

Coors Field (for a Rockies/Astros game for some reason)

Although I do plan on changing that with an obscure trip to the Buford Pusser Festival next year. w00t!

THE BUFORD STICK (The Legend of Sheriff Buford Pusser)

Now Sheriff Buford Pusser's gotten too big for his britches

With his book reviews and movie deals

Down at the car lot making public appearances

For breaking up our homes and stills

I know he likes to brag how he wrestled a bear

But I knew him from the funeral home

Ask him for a warrant, he'll say "I keep it in my shoe"

That son of a b**** has got to go

That son of a b**** has got to go

Now they lined up around the block to see that movie

And crying for his ambushed wife

Marveling about about shot eight times and stabbed seven

Some folks can't take a hint

They say he didn't take no crap from the State Line Gang

What the hell they talking bout?

I'm just a hard workingman with a family to feed

And he made my daughter cry

Said he made my daughter cry

"Watch out for Buford!" is what they keep on telling me

But to me he's just another crooked lawman up in Tennessee

He gets a new hot car to keep us on our toes

And that ridiculous stick where the press corp. goes

And some big time Hollywood actors playing him on the big screen

"Watch out for Buford! He's shutting down our stills and whores"

But it ain't like he's all that different from what was there before

It wouldn't take my man long to do the job

Just a partially sawed through steering rod

And I wouldn't have to worry about the good Sheriff anymore

Now the funeral's got'em lined up for twenty blocks

No one liked that SOB when he's alive

But the ruckus he began keeps a spreadin' like a wildfire

Not sure if I'm gonna survive

Hit an embankment doing 120 on a straight-away

The Lord works in mysterious ways

They'll probably make another movie, glorifying what he done

But I'll never have to hear them say

I'll never have to hear them say

Watch out for Buford

Patterson Hood / Drive-By Truckers © Soul Dump Music (BMI)

My family didn't do family vacations when I was growing up, unless going to Brookfield Zoo or the museums count.

Brian and I take vacations to follow minor league hockey and we are planning a weekend in November to go to a football game at either NC State (if hockey is back so I can see the Canes), Michigan State or Iowa State.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
My family didn't do family vacations when I was growing up, unless going to Brookfield Zoo or the museums count.

Brian and I take vacations to follow minor league hockey and we are planning a weekend in November to go to a football game at either NC State (if hockey is back so I can see the Canes), Michigan State or Iowa State.

I'll bet Brian would say that everyday is a vacation with you . . . ;)

It wasn't exactly a "family" vacation since I'm grown and out on my own, but my parents went to a mustard festival in Wisconsin(I think) last year.

They said they even had mustard-flavored ice cream. :puke

They brought me a shirt that was made up to look like a college shirt that said Poupon U. :lol:

Edited by Iwritecode

My family went to Florida for a week back when I was a junior in high school.

It was perhaps the most boring week of my life.

I managed to read 2 1000 page books, mainly while either sitting on my grandmother's couch or the porch outside.

The 2 attractions we hit were a dog track and a shell factory. That's right, there is such a thing as a shell factory. They make and sell shells.

I also spent quite a bit of time doing practice tests for a math competition. Finished like 4 or 5 tests. Ended up placing first about a week or two later.

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
Been to the Corn Palace.  someplace made of corn, not sure where it is.  was on the way to ND.

Corny

ohhh also South of the Border in SC

My family took a vacation to the Dakota's and Wyoming and those areas and stopped at the corn palace. It was one of the biggest tourist traps that I have ever seen. We went to so many random places when I was little, but I dont remember any of the names because they were so long ago.

One year we went to Ruby Falls.. can't remember where it is.. maybe Tennessee.. and also to this mountian top where you can see 4 states...

We all trotted up there.. stood for 10 minutes in complete silence.. then my sister who was maybe 5 at the time says "this is stupid". We all nodded, and in silence headed back down.