Sox @ A's 7/1 Game Thread 9:05CT

Spiff

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Let me ask this now. If Jose Contreras had an ERA of 4.34 heading into the all - star break, at the start of the season, would you have taken this?

I would think most of us would after how our staff pitched in the second half last year. Here's another one: how many of you really thought we were going to win this game? Be honest!

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
I am sure that Ozzie and Cooper are looking at Conteras and saying you know what, he is pitching pretty good.  He has a good ERA and has been stellar at times this year.  I am sure thats exactly what they are saying.

So is that a yes or a no?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
I would think most of us would after how our staff pitched in the second half last year. Here's another one: how many of you really thought we were going to win this game? Be honest!

We've found ways to win games this year that I thought we had no prayer going into the game (Duque vs W'brook, etc.). This game would have been a lot easier to deal with if Contreras didn't pitch like a pussy tonight. We suck at Oakland, plain and simple.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
Go f*** yourself blue that was outside

This games over, g'night folks

Come on, what about that Phil Jackson commercial:

"He who leaves before the bell tolls may not be there when the story unfolds."

:lolhitting

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)

:huh:

Too tired for that.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)

:lol: I got to remember that one.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)

Actually I was looking for a high 3 low 4 era for Jose. The guy has amazing stuff. After being down in Tuscon and watching him a few times get ahead of hitters are work fast I had hopes for him.

Now after watching him crawl back into his shell. I am looking for anything below 6 as an ERA.

Guest JimH

Well at least the farm teams played pretty well tonite LOL. Some of the 2005 draftees are doing well. For what that's worth, which is about zero.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
Somebody please post the rally mojo.  It can't hurt, right?

Cheat's got that thing pattened :P He doesn't feel it tonight so he's not bringing him out.

GONG

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)

Yes, I would have gladly taken those numbers......however, I would have also thought that maybe he had figured some things out to get those numbers lower as the season went on. However, it almost seems like back to square one with him. You can play the whole number game with anyone on the team, and use it to prove a point. How many people still can J. Dye = Dead? Not only has he easily been our best hitter for over a month, but he's also right on with the power numbers we expected from him (HR at least).

As bad as Contreras was, the Sox aren't going to win many games scoring 2 runs. After the first inning, I don't understand the offensive approach. It seemed like no one really had a plan at the plate. And Kendall's thrown out 7 of 61 coming in. Except for Konerko and AJ, if anyone else gets on first, they should have been going. Maybe the'll do the unimaginable and score a few of Street in the 9th.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Yes, I would have gladly taken those numbers......however, I would have also thought that maybe he had figured some things out to get those numbers lower as the season went on.  However, it almost seems like back to square one with him.  You can play the whole number game with anyone on the team, and use it to prove a point.  How many people still can J. Dye = Dead?  Not only has he easily been our best hitter for over a month, but he's also right on with the power numbers we expected from him (HR at least).

That just shows how you can have 2 bad months and 1 good month, and still perform to more people's expectations, than having 2 good months and 1 bad month, if you get my line of thinking.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
How retarded is it that Frank won't see any action in this game?

Due to make outs in the ninth, Rowand, Konerko, Everett.

Should one or more of them fail to make an out, Dye and Pierzynski will be up next.

Ozzie will not pinch hit for any of those 5.

Nothing wrong with our offense. Its fine.

Harden is a flat out filthy pitcher who has been good of late. We knew going in it'd be tough. You're not going to put up 6 on a good pitcher in a pitcher's park. We'd have been in very good shape had Buehrle, Garcia, or Garland pitched however.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:55 AM)
As bad as Contreras was, the Sox aren't going to win many games scoring 2 runs. After the first inning, I don't understand the offensive approach. It seemed like no one really had a plan at the plate. And Kendall's thrown out 7 of 61 coming in. Except for Konerko and AJ, if anyone else gets on first, they should have been going.  Maybe the'll do the unimaginable and score a few of Street in the 9th.

I know I'm thought of as the eternal pessmist on here, but my biggest concern with this team is its inability to have good ABs against the top pitchers in baseball. Yes, there's a reason why they're the best of the best. However, we have too many everyday players who are easy outs. Against tough righties, guys like Rowand, Crede, and Uribe are incredibly easy outs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
Do you think your funny??  Cause you're not.

Why I am just repeating what everyone is saying. I just trying to get on the popular side.

Lets just tip our hat to a better pitching performance.