McCarthy to start on July 4th against the D-Rays

Jabroni

"Hernandez not ready yet; McCarthy goes on Monday"

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug01.html

DETROIT -- Orlando Hernandez was due off the disabled list Thursday, but the White Sox will provide more time for his sore right shoulder to heal and give Brandon McCarthy another start.

Manager Ozzie Guillen said McCarthy will start Monday at U.S. Cellular Field against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Hernandez was put on the disabled list June 20, retroactive to June 15, with inflammation in his right shoulder. It is the second time he has been put on the DL this season because of shoulder soreness.

McCarthy, who is in his second stint with the Sox this season, had a positive performance Wednesday despite getting his third no-decision in four starts. He gave up three runs on six hits in 61/3 innings against the Detroit Tigers, leaving with the lead and a runner on base. He is 0-1 with a 7.17 ERA.

''He will get one more start before the break,'' Guillen said. ''I don't want to rush El Duque [Hernandez] back. We will need him in the end. I don't want to take a risk.''

McCarthy, who gets into trouble when he can't command his changeup, had all three of his pitches working for most of his start Wednesday but gave up three fly outs to the wall.

''[Wednesday] wasn't a crucial thing to see how he did,'' Guillen said. ''I see a special thing in spring training. This kid was going to be special. I compared this kid to Jack McDowell. I see the McCarthy that was in spring training. He was real calm on the mound, executed his pitches, used his breaking ball for strikes. You need another weapon aside from the fastball, and he showed me he's back on track.''

''It's just finally feeling comfortable again,'' McCarthy said, "being back to where I need to be.''

Guillen said. ''I don't want to rush El Duque [Hernandez] back. We will need him in the end. I don't want to take a risk.''

^Exactly what I would have done. Im glad Ozzie is looking at the road ahead for the Sox and I still wanna see what McCarthys got at the major league.

Cool.

I'm going to the game, and I'm excited to see how BMac does.

Also, I heard on the radio that the post-game fireworks are going to be "spectacular". Unfortunately, I won't be able to stick around ( I have to go straight to work after the game :angry: which will obviously cancel any beer-drinking plans I had ), but it should be big fun for the fans.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
Damn, I just got a flashback to Koch in Tampa on the 4th of July.

That is my birthday and I remember coming home from dinner to watch that crap...Koch f***ed up my whole day...Koch :finger

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
That is my birthday and I remember coming home from dinner to watch that crap...Koch f***ed up my whole day...Koch  :finger

Pff, get in line. They always lose on my birthday. That's not what sucks so much about it, though. The thing is that they always lose badly on my birthday. I get a Koch-walkesque present every year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Pff, get in line.  They always lose on my birthday.  That's not what sucks so much about it, though.  The thing is that they always lose badly on my birthday.  I get a Koch-walkesque present every year.

Yeah, but I was born on the bicentennial, so they should show a little respect for my day. :P

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
That is my birthday and I remember coming home from dinner to watch that crap...Koch f***ed up my whole day...Koch  :finger

was that the 3 run walk off to carl crawford?

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
Contreras is the new "Count of 3 and 2".

McCarthy vs. the D'Rays...

It should be another AAA-like start for him.

Of course THAT theory went to hell vs. KC. :headshake

thats because he was facing KC team that had been doing well offensively, they were hitting .300 plus for the month of june when B-Mac was going against them.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Contreras is the new "Count of 3 and 2".

McCarthy vs. the D'Rays...

It should be another AAA-like start for him.

Of course THAT theory went to hell vs. KC. :headshake

You obviously have not seen his stats in AAA, then.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
By "AAA-like start", I meant that he will have an easier time with TB than he would have with a better MLB level team.

the joke I was making was centered around the fact that he hadn't done particularly well in AAA. Then you said KC had a AAA like line-up, so the irony is that if KC was actually a AAA team, then his ugly stat-line should be expected because he had performed fairly poorly in AAA.

It was a joke, but I think it went over a lot of people's heads.