Sandra Day O'Connor retiring

southsider2k5

William Kristol called this last week, apparently. He also predicted that Alberto Gonzales will be her replacement. And his complaint about Gonzales is that, even though he's more conservative than O'Connor, he's still not conservative enough. So I'm pretty certain the neocons do not want O'Connor on the court. If you mean they wanted her to stay for some reasons of political chess, that I don't know.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
You think Congress hates each other now?  Wait until after these confirmation hearings...

By the end of this process, Americans of all stripes will be ashamed of our elected officials. Sad. Bush will know which nominees will pass with little or no objections, those that could pass with a lot of objection, and those that have slim to no chance. I'm afraid my fellow Texan is going to pick from the slim chance category.

Damn -- now what am I going to do with that sweet yet stern looking Sandra Day O'Connor telephone? /simpsons

Everybody strap yourself in and get ready for some Borking. Two of the most important Constitutional debates of our lifetime taking place this year (the sunset provisions of the Patriot Act/introduction of the SAFE Act and the nomination of a new SC justice.

A Female or a Hispanic Male. The one thing that they will have in common is that they will not be widely published. The Bush Administration will look for the most conservative person it can find that does not have a long paper trail of conservative decisions, papers, books or articles. A sad historic note, that in todays political world we do pick the most legally qualified people, but those that have the least possibility of being fillibustered. Advise and Consent is dead. This is not a right or a left thing, both sides are to blame.

If Bush nominates a moderate to slightly conservative, he'll have my respect and admiration. If he goes neanderthal, juts out his jaw, and plays wild west sheriff, I will not be happy.

Bottom line, if conservatives and liberals are disappointed, it's about right.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
If Bush nominates a moderate to slightly conservative, he'll have my respect and admiration. If he goes neanderthal, juts out his jaw, and plays wild west sheriff, I will not be happy.

Prepare to not be happy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)

Alberto Gonzalez would probably make both sides pretty unhappy, and that should scare you.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
Alberto Gonzalez would probably make both sides pretty unhappy, and that should scare you.

I would hope that this doesn't happen.

Like I said on another board... I don't care if Bush puts a liberal judge up for nomination, the Dems are gonna rip this person a new asshole just for the press coverage. That's what's bull s*** about our system.

And the Repblicans will fight just as hard, all for the press coverage.

Bunch of power tripping bastards. That's all they ALL are.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Like I said on another board... I don't care if Bush puts a liberal judge up for nomination, the Dems are gonna rip this person a new asshole just for the press coverage.  That's what's bull s*** about our system.

I'll be shocked and amazed if that happens. Absolutely stunned. Hell, I'll be stunned if the nominee can even remotely be called a "moderate".

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
I'll be shocked and amazed if that happens.  Absolutely stunned.  Hell, I'll be stunned if the nominee can even remotely be called a "moderate".

It makes perfect sense that Bush replace a conservative judge with a conservative judge. He'll do the same when the chief justice finally retires as well.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
It makes perfect sense that Bush replace a conservative judge with a conservative judge.  He'll do the same when the chief justice finally retires as well.

I wouldn't call her conservative. I'd call her a moderate swing vote.

O'Connor could be viewed as an economic conservative but a left-leaning social moderate. Bush will seek to replace her with a social conservative. It's why he was elected in to a 2nd term so it will be hard for the Dem to block it. Bush should choose a black female for the bench. It will be hard for the Dems to block her because they still have egg on their faces from their treatment of Thomas & how it was perceived by the media & the citzenry.

It looked like a bunch of affluent white guys picking on accomplished educated black man. They won't have a prayer against a black female of equal or greater stature.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)

My guess is he'll first try and run a very staunch conservative through and will than "compromise" by pushing a more moderate conservative, who will probably be the guy he originally wanted or selected but will use the other guy to at least show some sort of effort of compromising.

Thats what I'd do at least.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
My guess is he'll first try and run a very staunch conservative through and will than "compromise" by pushing a more moderate conservative, who will probably be the guy he originally wanted or selected but will use the other guy to at least show some sort of effort of compromising. 

Thats what I'd do at least.

That's not in Bush's character at all. If he nominates someone, he doesn't want to backtrack no matter what happens.

Take a look at the Bolton nomination...he's clearly a guy who doesn't deserve that job, he's totally unqualified, even in a Republican led Senate Committee he couldn't get an endorsement for his nomination, but Bush is still pushing him. And withholding information to protect him.