the new headset cell phone law

LosMediasBlancas

Starting next week in Illinois, you will be required by law to utilize a headset with your cell phone while driving. It's goal is to make driving safer and reduce the number of accidents caused by drivers on their cell phones.

So, let's say I'm in my car and I get an incoming call. Am I supposed to fumble with putting my headset on while driving and trying not miss the call? Isn't that MORE dangerous? Or do they expect me to have it on the whole time I'm driving?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

Its pretty stupid actually. Studies have shown that it isn't really the act of getting the phone, it is the talking on the phone distracting you from driving that is the problem. A couple of studies have shown that talking on a cell phone makes peoples reaction times equivilent to being moderately drunk.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
I fully endorse this law/bill. 

Keep both hands on the wheel skippy.

I do as well. It's not so hard to use the ear piece. Just put it in your ear when you get in the car.. or don't answer the phone. :huh

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
Its pretty stupid actually.  Studies have shown that it isn't really the act of getting the phone, it is the talking on the phone distracting you from driving that is the problem.  A couple of studies have shown that talking on a cell phone makes peoples reaction times equivilent to being moderately drunk.

Exactly, it's the conversation, not the act of having one hand holding a phone that is the problem. I mean most people drive using only one hand anyway. They might as well ticket you for not having your hands in the 10 and 2 position.

I'm not a big cell phone user, so I have to wear a headset the whole time I'm driving just in case I get a call? As usual, a few boneheads ruin it for everyone.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
Starting next week in Illinois, you will be required by law to utilize a headset with your cell phone while driving. It's goal is to make driving safer and reduce the number of accidents caused by drivers on their cell phones.

So, let's say I'm in my car and I get an incoming call. Am I supposed to fumble with putting my headset on while driving and trying not miss the call? Isn't that MORE dangerous?  Or do they expect me to have it on the whole time I'm driving?

Right now its only in the City of Chicago...your still free to drive recklessly with a cell phone everywhere else

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Its pretty stupid actually.  Studies have shown that it isn't really the act of getting the phone, it is the talking on the phone distracting you from driving that is the problem.  A couple of studies have shown that talking on a cell phone makes peoples reaction times equivilent to being moderately drunk.

Ah, yes, the wonderful contribution of the Psychological study of attention to real world applications.

Anyway, I also think there should be a wholesale ban on cell phone use while driving and this is just an ill-informed piss poor attempt.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Ah, yes, the wonderful contribution of the Psychological study of attention to real world applications.

Anyway, I also think there should be a wholesale ban on cell phone use while driving and this is just an ill-informed piss poor attempt.

What about in emergencies? It'll never pass, but I see your point.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
What about in emergencies?  It'll never pass, but I see your point.

Go back to doing what we did before cell phones. :huh

I agree they shouldn't be used. I'm nto an excessive user and rarely when driving anyway.. but when I see someone looking down to dial that scares the s*** out of me.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Go back to doing what we did before cell phones.  :huh

I agree they shouldn't be used. I'm nto an excessive user and rarely when driving anyway.. but when I see someone looking down to dial that scares the s*** out of me.

I don't understand it either. I won't answer my phone while driving or call. And I really hate it when you're going 65 (cough80cough) down the interstate and some fool is yapping away or messing with his/her phone. I'm really sorry, but no one is so busy or important that it can't wait until you're home, or at least pull over.

Interesting PDF article about issue

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
I don't understand it either. I won't answer my phone while driving or call. And I really hate it when you're going 65 (cough80cough) down the interstate and some fool is yapping away or messing with his/her phone. I'm really sorry, but no one is so busy or important that it can't wait until you're home, or at least pull over.

Interesting PDF article about issue

Unfortunately Jim get's a lot of calls with work.. the good news is I am driving most of the time he is yapping. I usually only answer when my sister calls because it's usually something important about the baby which is far and few between, or if it's Jim when we're not together. I do stop when I'm not on the expressway.. when I'm on it I usually wait.

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and throw this one out there because I suspect I'm not the only one that has participated in this gross negligence.

There have been a handful of times I have recieved phone calls while driving, whether in my own neighborhood or not, picked them up, talked with whomever, only to hang up and realize I have completely spaced-out for the past few minutes. I don't know how I ended up where I did, all I know is I have arrived at my destination but can't really remember changing lanes, making turns, etc.

Naurally, after I get out of the car I realize how bad I really was and begin to understand why the rest of the world hates Americans. :bang

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
realize I have completely spaced-out for the past few minutes.  I don't know how I ended up where I did, all I know is I have arrived at my destination but can't really remember changing lanes, making turns, etc.

I do this in the morning and I hate it when it happens.

I will occasionally take a call while driving, but rarely and usually only if I am at a stop light or stopped in traffic.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
Alright, I'm going to go ahead and throw this one out there because I suspect I'm not the only one that has participated in this gross negligence.

There have been a handful of times I have recieved phone calls while driving, whether in my own neighborhood or not, picked them up, talked with whomever, only to hang up and realize I have completely spaced-out for the past few minutes.  I don't know how I ended up where I did, all I know is I have arrived at my destination but can't really remember changing lanes, making turns, etc.

Naurally, after I get out of the car I realize how bad I really was and begin to understand why the rest of the world hates Americans. :bang

I don't need to be on the phone for this to happen. :unsure:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
I don't need to be on the phone for this to happen.  :unsure:

Me too, especially if it's a route that I drive often, like to and from the gym. I'll just space out for like 10 mins. then suddenly re focus and realize I'm almost home, but will have NO recollection of where I've been for the past 10 mins. For all I know, I could be dragging bodies from the rear bumper.

I have mine program to respond to voice commands.

It could show who called I could say, "Thomas, Frank," and it could call back the person who called.

I use my ear piece all the time. I get scared to death using the phone in the car while driving.

I guess it's true that it is the conversation that is what is most dangerous, and not the actual act of holding the phone to ones head with one hand. I know that I was constantly running people over when I would talk to the other people in my car, but that doesn't happen anymore now that I make everybody just shut-up!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
I don't talk on the cell phone when driving.  I'm usually too busy paying my bills or reading the newspaper.

With all the stupid things I've seen people do while driving (reading, applying makeup, using a computer, changing clothes) I'm suprised cell phone usuage is the only thing they are banning...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Go back to doing what we did before cell phones.  :huh

Can anyone actually remember that time? What the hell DID we do?

I don't know how many times my wife has called me on the way home to tell me that I need to pick her up somewhere or that I need to stop at the store to get something. It has saved me countless trips.

It has also saved me the numerous times my car has died while driving down a country road in the middle of nowhere.

I'm going a little off-topic here but I was just thinking the other day what it was that I did to keep myself busy before video games, computers and 100,000 tv channels were available. I guess it was stuff like listen to music, read a book or play with my toys (star wars, Transformers, GI Joe, etc...) or even go outside and play baseball, football, hide and seek...

Then my daughters wonder why I get upset when they tell me they're "bored".

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Can anyone actually remember that time?  What the hell DID we do?

I don't know.. I've had a cell phone since I was 13. There was never a time in my adult life I didn't have access to make a call immediately.