Brandon Allen

shawnhillegas

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
did anyone else see his scout video that mlb.com had when he was drafted?....he looks like prince fielder, just a huge guy.....hes 19, hitting 440 (yeah its early)....but still

Yeah, iirc he batted lh, real big kid. He had a pretty, quick swing, but his problem was that he didn't make consistent contact and rolled up a lot of strikeouts. (I think even in the clip, his swing looks great, but he's not making much solid contact -- ??) So if he can continue hitting for a high average and drawing walks, that'll be a coup for the Sox. But we're talking about 30 abs so far, that's REAL early.

Guest JimH

Brandon Allen is one of Randar's favorites. They drafted him and he was really really raw. He played football too and as we all know, those dual sport athletes have some catching up to do.

I want to hear what Dave Wilder has to say about him. The Sox had him in extended spring training this year and so far he is roaring out of the gate. One of the stories in the Great Falls Tribune talked about how he is drilling line drives all over the place during batting practice.

He is very young but the potential is there to have him be a very legit 1B prospect in due time.

His numbers are impressive, but it's rookie ball and a hitters' park. If he came out of the gates like this I'd have been excited. Not to say he's bad because he didn't hit his first year, but in my 2+ years of closely following the minors I've seen more rookie ball flops than expected. Hit at Kanny, then I'm excited. Speaking of which, he might have a chance to do this year if he keeps hitting above .400 lol.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
His numbers are impressive, but it's rookie ball and a hitters' park. If he came out of the gates like this I'd have been excited. Not to say he's bad because he didn't hit his first year, but in my 2+ years of closely following the minors I've seen more rookie ball flops than expected. Hit at Kanny, then I'm excited. Speaking of which, he might have a chance to do this year if he keeps hitting above .400 lol.

I love Rookie ball because video game stats start popping up. Missoula with a 8.66 ERA? Awwww yeah!

Little blurb on BA;

Brandon Allen, a fifth-round pick by the White Sox in 2004 from Montgomery (Texas) High, was 3-for-3 with two doubles and a triple Thursday in Great Falls' 19-1 win against Missoula in the Rookie-level Pioneer League. Allen, who posted modest .205-3-23 numbers in 185 at-bats in the Rookie-level Appalachian League after signing last summer, has hit safely in seven of his nine starts this year with Great Falls. He is hitting .448-2-8 in 29 at-bats.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
Brandon Allen is one of Randar's favorites.  They drafted him and he was really really raw.  He played football too and as we all know, those dual sport athletes have some catching up to do.

He was really raw last year, but as a kid right out of high school, athletically, he was like a man among boys at Bristol. real BIG, fast, agile...

He didn't get much coaching and started playing baseball late, IIRC, but the guys at perfectgame really loved the kid's potential and after seeing his video and seeing him in action, so did I.

Good to see him putting some of the batting-practice power into the games. He's going to progress, and it may take some time, but if that light ever clicks on for him, he could be a real star.