Minutemen reject Al-Jazeera coverage

KipWellsFan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4639827.stm

The station's proposal to film prompted a complaint to the US Department of Homeland Security, and drew political criticism.

"It is insane policy to allow al-Jazeera to film Arizona's unsecured border with Mexico and then broadcast it to the very people who perpetrated 9/11," said Trent Franks, a Republican Congressman for Arizona.

On its website, the minutemen portrayed the decision to cancel filming as an "anti-terrorism victory".

"The world's most prolific terrorism television network has cancelled its recon operation at the Arizona/Mexico border," the group said in a statement.

Minuteman President Chris Simcox added: "I'll have no part in aiding and abetting the enemy, and will continue to work to protect our country from terrorists who are clearly looking at our unsecured borders as the pathway to destroy America."

I'm glad such intelligent people are protecting the borders. :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4639827.stm

I'm glad such intelligent people are protecting the borders. :lol:

Those "intelligent" people care far more about the security of our borders than our government does. You can sit there and make fun of them all you want to but if Canada was overrun with illegals and your government didn't care then you'd be wanting a similar group to step up and do something about it.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Those "intelligent" people care far more about the security of our borders than our government does.  You can sit there and make fun of them all you want to but if Canada was overrun with illegals and your government didn't care then you'd be wanting a similar group to step up and do something about it.

The minutemen are idiots, the lowest common denominator with no lives, pretending to be some kind of patriots as opposed to those actually doing something for the economy or have real professional jobs like border patrol, army, people in medical occupations. Sitting on a lawn chair with walkie talkies, get a life!!!!

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
The minutemen are idiots, the lowest common denominator with no lives, pretending to be some kind of patriots as opposed to those actually doing something for the economy or have real professional jobs like border patrol, army, people in medical occupations.  Sitting on a lawn chair with walkie talkies, get a life!!!!

Even if that were true, which it isin't, they'd be a lot like the thousands of assholes on the looney left who have nothing better to do than protest President Bush and his policies.

Walking down a street waving a sign in the air. GET A LIFE!!!!!

Most of the minutemen are exactly as Kip has described, or even worse. For example, 1 guy from the project has spoken before the "Council of Conservative Citizens", a group which has described African Americans as "A retrograde species of humanity" and which sells "White Pride" t shirts at their website, and has written LTE's to a paper in Arkansas talking about how Jews control the media and international banking/finance.

That said, even though they don't belong there, they do have a point that the government needs to do something about the U.S. southern border.

Estimates are that 3 million undocumented people will cross that border this year and enter the United States. If this country is genuinely concerned with preventing terrorism, it has to close that gaping hole. There is simply no more logical place for an actual terrorist to enter this country right now than the southern border. Given the availability of weapons in this country (even .50 cal weapons...big enough to take down a plane), it's only a matter of time before we're hurt because of that border in a big way.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Most of the minutemen are exactly as Kip has described, or even worse.  For example, 1 guy from the project has spoken before the "Council of Conservative Citizens", a group which has described African Americans as "A retrograde species of humanity" and which sells "White Pride" t shirts at their website, and has written LTE's to a paper in Arkansas talking about how Jews control the media and international banking/finance.

That said, even though they don't belong there, they do have a point that the government needs to do something about the U.S. southern border.

Estimates are that 3 million undocumented people will cross that border this year and enter the United States.  If this country is genuinely concerned with preventing terrorism, it has to close that gaping hole.  There is simply no more logical place for an actual terrorist to enter this country right now than the southern border.  Given the availability of weapons in this country (even .50 cal weapons...big enough to take down a plane), it's only a matter of time before we're hurt because of that border in a big way.

Were the people involved in the 9/11 attacks American citizens?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
Were the people involved in the 9/11 attacks American citizens?

No, mostly Saudis.

The ones involved in the Oklahoma city attack were.

And the U.S. has broken up several other domestic terror threats in recent years, including 1 group in Texas that was literally caught making preparations for what can only be described as a chemical weapons attack - they had more WMD's than Iraq.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Even if that were true, which it isin't, they'd be a lot like the thousands of assholes on the looney left who have nothing better to do than protest President Bush and his policies. 

Walking down a street waving a sign in the air.  GET A LIFE!!!!!

I'd agree that they don't have a life if they were spending as much time of their lives protesting which I doubt many of them are. Protesting at organized meetings for what you believe in, to me, would be much more of a service to your country than these wanna be patriots who obviously have no idea of the way the world works.

Of course we probably don't have lives, seeing as all the time we waste here on soxtalk

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
No, mostly Saudis.

The ones involved in the Oklahoma city attack were.

And the U.S. has broken up several other domestic terror threats in recent years, including 1 group in Texas that was literally caught making preparations for what can only be described as a chemical weapons attack - they had more WMD's than Iraq.

Were the Saudis legally inside the United States?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Were the Saudis legally inside the United States?

Some were, some were not...expired Visas, that sort of thing.

1 thing I always point out to people, since I have a hint of where this is going, is that just because a terror group used a particular method to enter the U.S. 1 time doesn't mean they won't use a different method the next time.

For example, on Sept 11th, 2001, it was actually legal to carry box cutters and letter openers onto aircraft in the U.S. Clearly, that is no longer allowed, and it would be much more difficult to pull off an attack in that manner.

The U.S. has made visa restrictions and rules much more stringent as compared with early 2001. It would be much harder for those same folks to enter the country now if they attempted to do so through normal, legal channels. If someone is wanting to get into this country and they think there's a risk they'll get interdicted if they try to cross into the country legally, the southern border is the next most logical option. If you're trying to bring 20 people across, and 3 million people cross that border every year, then the odds that you'll be caught are basically miniscule.

I hate to say it but if these f***ers are smart enough and organized enough there is probably nothing to stop them from getting in. Just pray that FBI and Homeland Security have great people working for them. It's all very worrisome and a bunch of yokals sitting on the border doesn't reassure me one bit.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
I hate to say it but if these f***ers are smart enough and organized enough there is probably nothing to stop them from getting in.  Just pray that FBI and Homeland Security have great people working for them.  It's all very worrisome and a bunch of yokals sitting on the border doesn't reassure me one bit.

Actually, I'd say that if we're ready, even if they're organized it's more than possible to stop them from getting in.

We managed to stop the Millennium bomb plot in 2000 by making sure everything was working right, going to "red alert" at the highest levels of government, asking questions the whole way down the line, and telling everyone at the borders to be on the lookout. We eventually intercepted a guy with a car loaded with explosives coming in from Canada.

If we're ready and we have assets in the right place, it is quite possible to stop people from getting in no matter how well organized the other side is. The problem is that right now our southern border is a gaping hole, and if someone tried to cross it, there's no reason to assume that the security apparatus which lets 3 million people cross per year will be able to stop a particular few who really are threatening.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
I'd agree that they don't have a life if they were spending as much time of their lives protesting which I doubt many of them are.  Protesting at organized meetings for what you believe in, to me, would be much more of a service to your country than these wanna be patriots who obviously have no idea of the way the world works.

Of course we probably don't have lives, seeing as all the time we waste here on soxtalk

If you're thinking that these people spent that entire month every day out there on the border you're mistaken. These people all have jobs and went out there in their spare time on a day off or a weekend or something. A small minority of those who took part were actually out there the whole time and they were retirees.

You're a hypocrite BTW. The minuteman program is a form of protest. A protest against a non-existent border enforcement policy of this government. Why do they have no idea about the way the world works? Because they protest for a right wing cause? You show your ignorance by such statements.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
  The problem is that right now our southern border is a gaping hole, and if someone tried to cross it, there's no reason to assume that the security apparatus which lets 3 million people cross per year will be able to stop a particular few who really are threatening.

Why is it a gaping hole? Because our government has allowed it to be for decades and continues to do so in order to curry favor with the latino vote. This "bunch of yokels", as Kip so eloquently put it, has been quite sucessful in drawing attention to this problem and as a result the government has started putting a lot more resources into border enforcement. Is it enough, no, but its a start.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
If you're thinking that these people spent that entire month every day out there on the border you're mistaken.  These people all have jobs and went out there in their spare time on a day off or a weekend or something.  A small minority of those who took part were actually out there the whole time and they were retirees. 

You're a hypocrite BTW.  The minuteman program is a form of protest.  A protest against a non-existent border enforcement policy of this government.  Why do they have no idea about the way the world works?  Because they protest for a right wing cause?  You show your ignorance by such statements.

I guess it could be considered a form of protest, whatever, I'm probably too hard on them. But my original point has to do with the whole al-jazeera thing. They'd like to lump everyone into the good or the bad. To label al-jazeera as the enemy is ridiculous, I'm pretty sure its main criticism has been it's to nice to Israel. On this point they probably really have no idea how middle east works, but I won't pretend to understand the whole situation either.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
I guess it could be considered a form of protest, whatever, I'm probably too hard on them.  But my original point has to do with the whole al-jazeera thing.  They'd like to lump everyone into the good or the bad.  To label al-jazeera as the enemy is ridiculous, I'm pretty sure its main criticism has been it's to nice to Israel.  On this point they probably really have no idea how middle east works, but I won't pretend to understand the whole situation either.

Al Jazerra is little more than a mouthpiece for Al Quada thinly veiled as a legitimate news organization. As such they are indeed the enemy.

Anyone that has the resources to mount a major terror strike on the US can just get a tourist visa and walk in the front door. Why risk dying in the desert? Tourism in the US is a multi-billion dollar industry. But if it makes you feel safer catching some scared migrant worker trying to pick onions in Wyoming this fall, go for it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Anyone that has the resources to mount a major terror strike on the US can just get a tourist visa and walk in the front door. Why risk dying in the desert? Tourism in the US is a multi-billion dollar industry. But if it makes you feel safer catching some scared migrant worker trying to pick onions in Wyoming this fall, go for it.

Because if you're trying to get a lot of people into this country...if just 1 of them is on some sort of watch list for whatever reason (or even if they just get detained for looking suspicious), that can be all it takes to unravel a plot.

If 1 person had asked 1 more question about the guys in San Diego who's roommate was an FBI informant, or if 1 more person had talked to 1 more agent about those flight schools, september 11th wouldn't have happened. We were right on the edge of breaking that plot, but we never put a strong enough focus on all the chatter we were receiving.

If it only takes 1 person to break up a plot, then you need to make sure that no one is caught until it is too late. And that means you don't risk putting yourselves into the hands of the authorities. Especially if you're carrying something, like a lot of cash or explosives or other weaponry.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Because if you're trying to get a lot of people into this country...if just 1 of them is on some sort of watch list for whatever reason (or even if they just get detained for looking suspicious), that can be all it takes to unravel a plot.

If 1 person had asked 1 more question about the guys in San Diego who's roommate was an FBI informant, or if 1 more person had talked to 1 more agent about those flight schools, september 11th wouldn't have happened.  We were right on the edge of breaking that plot, but we never put a strong enough focus on all the chatter we were receiving.

If it only takes 1 person to break up a plot, then you need to make sure that no one is caught until it is too late.  And that means you don't risk putting yourselves into the hands of the authorities.  Especially if you're carrying something, like a lot of cash or explosives or other weaponry.

The FBI totally blew it on 9-11. They had an agent who was all over those guys and they ignored her and threatened to fire her if she kept on pushing it. Those of you who want to blame the government for letting it happen need look no further than right there.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Al Jazerra is little more than a mouthpiece for Al Quada thinly veiled as a legitimate news organization.  As such they are indeed the enemy.

Oh Nuke, I hope the US military doesn't think like you on this subject. Cause then it would be reasonable to think that the US military actually did attack Al-Jazeera on purpose.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-07-01/

Last week the al-Qaeda-linked group headed by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi accused al-Jazeera of being a mouthpiece for U.S. forces and of attempting to "please the Crusaders and ... Shiite Muslim Iraqi leaders. ... Why this premeditated attempt to harm the image and reputation of the mujahedeens?"

I beg you to check out the documentary called Control Room.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
Oh Nuke, I hope the US military doesn't think like you on this subject.  Cause then it would be reasonable to think that the US military actually did attack Al-Jazeera on purpose.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-07-01/

I beg you to check out the documentary called Control Room.

I doubt any tears were shed over that among the military. LOL on the mouthpiece for America. Seems that they cant get any love from anybody these days.

Regardless of how you choose to classify Al-Jazeera, the fact remains that they broadcast to the Arab world. Within that Arab world does exist a faction that are, in fact, sworn enemies of the USA. So .... The so called idiots known as the Minutemen were not so f***ing stupid because AJ's target audience is partially comprised of enemies of the USA. Those are the people the minutemen didn't want to broadcast the information to about the gaping security hole known as our southern border.

Some "idiots" actually think things through. Others just spout rhetoric.

Edited by YASNY

Good thing our enemies don't watch Fox News or listen to Rush. US news and entertainment is broadcast around the world. It is one of our leading exports. The real coup by not letting AJ film is keeping the monopoly for US broadcasting companies.