Minutemen reject Al-Jazeera coverage

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)

Good thing our enemies don't watch Fox News or listen to Rush.

US news and entertainment is broadcast around the world. It is one of our leading exports. The real coup by not letting AJ film is keeping the monopoly for US broadcasting companies.

So, we should throw more of it out there? Give it to them in their language on their network?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
So, we should throw more of it out there?  Give it to them in their language on their network?

They take our broadcasts and dub in sound. I understand the sentiment, but I'm looking at a bigger picture and believing strongly in our system and way of life. By not allowing them, we are saying that freedom of the press is bad. That our constitution isn't working. They are filming something so common place, yet we stop them and expose how afraid we are.

Once again President Bush speaks about spreading democracy around the world. Shouldn't we be a shining example of that?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
They take our broadcasts and dub in sound. I understand the sentiment, but I'm looking at a bigger picture and believing strongly in our system and way of life. By not allowing them, we are saying that freedom of the press is bad. That our constitution isn't working. They are filming something so common place, yet we stop them and expose how afraid we are.

Once again President Bush speaks about spreading democracy around the world. Shouldn't we be a shining example of that?

This isn't our government we are talking about. This a group of American citizens, who, if they don't want to pander to the Arabs, they have that right. Sorry, but I'm not as liberal in my thinking as some around here are. If these guys want to give AJ a proverbial "up yours" then so be it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
This isn't our government we are talking about.  This a group of American citizens, who, if they don't want to pander to the Arabs, they have that right.  Sorry, but I'm not as liberal in my thinking as some around here are.  If these guys want to give AJ a proverbial "up yours" then so be it.

And of course they have the right to do that.

Interesting that loving the Constitution and the Bill of Rights is now being liberal, I like that :D

Last night Nuke even admitted that the US government could run a world class health system. :usa

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
Regardless of how you choose to classify Al-Jazeera, the fact remains that they broadcast to the Arab world.  Within that Arab world  does exist a faction that are, in fact, sworn enemies of the USA.  So .... The so called idiots known as the Minutemen were not so f***ing stupid because AJ's target audience is partially comprised of enemies of the USA.  Those are the people the minutemen didn't want to broadcast the information to about the gaping security hole known as our southern border.

Some "idiots" actually think things through.  Others just spout rhetoric.

"It is insane policy to allow al-Jazeera to film Arizona's unsecured border with Mexico and then broadcast it to the very people who perpetrated 9/11,"

I just can't believe that. It seems more like blatant racism to me, like 99.9% of the middle eastern world really isn't the enemy of America. Stupidity and uninformed racism. If they are stupid enough to say that showing this would be aiding the enemy, these guys are off their rocker.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
I just can't believe that.  It seems more like blatant racism to me, like 99.9% of the middle eastern world really isn't the enemy of America.  Stupidity and uninformed racism.  If they are stupid enough to say that showing this would be aiding the enemy, these guys are off their rocker.

Ok ... Go back to World War II and we broadcast to Germany where are weeknesses are? I guess we would be called racist because we don't like blong haired, blue eyed people. I'll say that showing that is aiding the enemy, so therefore, in your mind I'm stupid. Personally, I think anybody who can't see where giving information to the f***ing enemy is not a smart thing to do .. well, that fits the definition of fool.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
And of course they have the right to do that.

Interesting that loving the Constitution and the Bill of Rights is now being liberal, I like that  :D

Last night Nuke even admitted that the US government could run a world class health system.  :usa

Constitution? Bill of Rights? What are you talking about? I'm talking about the rights of a group of American citizens not to cooperate with the Arab "Death to America" world? Never said a damn thing about the Constitution or the BofR.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Ok ... Go back to World War II and we broadcast to Germany where are weeknesses are?  I guess we would be called racist because we don't like blong haired, blue eyed people.  I'll say that showing that is aiding the enemy, so therefore, in your mind I'm stupid.  Personally, I think anybody who can't see where giving information to the f***ing enemy is not a smart thing to do .. well, that fits the definition of fool.

If you don't think they already know about that, how the hell did manage to hijack a bunch of planes with extreme skill. Insane doesn't mean stupid, and being patriotic doesn't neccesarily mean you're not stupid.

Arab "Death to America" world

Why would America even bother giving them freedom then. :headshake

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
If you don't think they already know about that, how the hell did manage to hijack a bunch of planes with extreme skill.  Insane doesn't mean stupid, and being patriotic doesn't neccesarily mean you're not stupid.

Whoa. There is a contingent within the Arab world that has the "Death to America" philosophy, not the whole Arab world. My previous posts should have clued you in to the fact that I wasn't condemning all Arabs.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Constitution?  Bill of Rights?  What are you talking about?  I'm talking about the rights of a group of American citizens not to cooperate with the Arab "Death to America" world?  Never said a damn thing about the Constitution or the BofR.

:usa :cheers

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
Al Jazeera does nothing but promote anti-American viewpoints.

Why should America co-operate with them?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

That's why they should co-operate with them.

And if we're really worried about them seeing the gaping hole in the border -- I think all the media attention that the Minutemen are grabbing for themselves with this story is bringing more attention to the gaping hole in security than an Al Jazeera story could ever wish to.

Al-Jazeera isn't an American based "news" organization.

They shouldn't be allowed the same freedoms as an American news organization gets under the Constitution.

Until they want freedom throughout the world, they get none from America.

Edited by knightni

Guys, please, if you actually read the article, the U.S. government itself seems to have had basically no role in Al Jazeera deciding not to show the clip. In fact, it seems that AL Jazeera was responding almost entirely to the noise being made by the Minutemen. That group filed a complaint with the DHS, and at least according to the guys interviewed from AJ, they actually made the workers for that network fear for their lives.

This is the opening part of the article, which is not quoted in the first post on this page.

The Arabic TV channel al-Jazeera will not film a report about the US-Mexico border after a civilian border patrol group condemned the idea.

The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, an anti-immigration organisation that patrols the border in Arizona, called al-Jazeera a "terrorist TV station".

The group's leader said allowing al-Jazeera to film would be like aiding an enemy scouting mission.

Al-Jazeera said the group's reaction was a blow to press freedom.

A spokesman for the station, Jihad Ballout, said that its original intention was for its Washington bureau to film a report about economic and security issues in the area, but the safety of its staff was its most important consideration.

But he said the project had not been abandoned.

"The topic remains an important one from an editorial perspective, so it's not abandoned as a project," he told Reuters news agency.

The U.S. Government took no actions in restricting press freedom here. At least 1 Republican Congressman got riled up, but Congress made no law restricting the freedom of the press.

If you want to have a discussion, there are a couple valid topics; whether or not our southern border is secure enough, whether or not it's ok to have a bunch of vigilantes in Arizona making news organizations feel threatened, and whether or not we think it's appropriate for Al Jazeera, or any news station for that matter, to film and broadcast reports that could show weaknesses in America's security apparatus. But the discussion here has gone the wrong way, and I think the rest of the article answers most of the recent questions.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
Al-Jazeera isn't an American based "news" organization.

They shouldn't be allowed the same freedoms as an American news organization gets under the Constitution.

Until they want freedom throughout the world, they get none from America.

This seems like the same idea as Gitmo, they're not on US soil so we don't have to treat them as equals. Every person on the face of the earth deserves the same freedoms, whether they like America or not. And to call Al-Jazeera a terrorist network is a cop out and in my opinion wrong and Al-Jazeera certainly isn't against freedom in one bit.

check out the trailer for Control Room... PLZ!!!!!!!!!

http://www.controlroommovie.com/site/01.html

great quote from A.O. Scott on the movie (whether you like Scott or not)

You are likely to emerge from Control Room... with your certainties scrambled and your assumptions shaken

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Al Jazeera does nothing but promote anti-American viewpoints.

Why should America co-operate with them?

It seems as if you are saying that freedom of the press only works if the press supports the government? What difference does it make if the anti-American sentiment comes from within, or from outside? There are plenty of anti-government groups inspired by Waco, Ruby Ridge, etc. and they all have access to the media.

We are stronger than this group. Our systems have proven to be solid and unbeatable.

When we show the world that, then they will be clamoring for American style democracy. When we say it only works in this way or that, it just isn't as strong a message. Remember, every dictator's first goal are the television and radio stations. They want to control the media. We the people control the media and should fight to keep it as open as possible. Even when we disagree.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

-- The Friends of Voltaire, 1906

Here is what I wish the minutemen would have done

Hi. This is America at it's best. We know we have a problem here. We want everyone to know about the problem. Our government isn't taking care of it like *we* want them to. So we are protesting *against* our government until they listen and get it right. We might not get 100% of what we are asking for but I will damn well guarantee this area will be a hell of a lot better today, tomorrow, and in the future. Because that is how America kicks everyone's ass. We don't run from our problems, we don't hide them. :usa

If he wants to add a little Rebel yell, it might be a nice touch

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
If you don't think they already know about that, how the hell did manage to hijack a bunch of planes with extreme skill.  Insane doesn't mean stupid, and being patriotic doesn't neccesarily mean you're not stupid.

The fact that you say it that way implies that all muslims are terrorists. They are not. The "Death to America" world is that 1% of Muslims who actually feel that way. Al Jazeera, despite their poor attempt to appear objective, is clearly the mouthpiece for those 1% and as such they are the enemy. They are little different from the Tokyo Rose or Axis Annie of another time.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
Here is what I wish the minutemen would have done

Hi. This is America at it's best. We know we have a problem here. We want everyone to know about the problem. Our government isn't taking care of it like *we* want them to. So we are protesting *against* our government until they listen and get it right. We might not get 100% of what we are asking for but I will damn well guarantee this area will be a hell of a lot better today, tomorrow, and in the future. Because that is how America kicks everyone's ass. We don't run from our problems, we don't hide them. :usa

If he wants to add a little Rebel yell, it might be a nice touch

Isin't what they have done?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

That's why they should co-operate with them.

And if we're really worried about them seeing the gaping hole in the border -- I think all the media attention that the Minutemen are grabbing for themselves with this story is bringing more attention to the gaping hole in security than an Al Jazeera story could ever wish to.

Al Jazeera is not an American news agency. In fact, it can be argued that they are a terrorist media front posing as a news agency.

The Minutemen do not have to co-operate with any press agency if they choose not to. Freedom of the press does not mean that a press agency can force people to submit to interviews or filming or whatever. But you knew that didn't you?