Soxtalk Book Club

LowerCaseRepublican

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
I'll pick it up tomorrow.

So, exactly what's the plan, do we have a timeline? How are we going to do this?

The plan is to have it done by the 25th of July. Then we can spend a few days talking about it and move on to the August book that Cheat suggested.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
I'll pick it up tomorrow.

So, exactly what's the plan, do we have a timeline? How are we going to do this?

I was thinking maybe 2 weeks to allow everyone who's busy enough time to get through it. Maybe after one gets done and we all talk about it for a day or so then another member of the club gets a pick.

How does that sound?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
The plan is to have it done by the 25th of July.  Then we can spend a few days talking about it and move on to the August book that Cheat suggested.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
I was thinking maybe 2 weeks to allow everyone who's busy enough time to get through it.  Maybe after one gets done and we all talk about it for a day or so then another member of the club gets a pick.

How does that sound?

That is sooooooooooooo cute, practically finishing each other's sentences. :)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Too late. Enjoy Survivor, I wish PA was around to join the discussion.

y'all know I had to move to PA to learn to read...

If I have time I'll pick it up. How many pages?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
y'all know I had to move to PA to learn to read...

If I have time I'll pick it up. How many pages?

Real fast read. You'll know around page 200 that I think you will have some great insights to add to the discussion.

:cheers glad to see you around.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Don't start with page 1  :lol:

I was gonna ask that question. I was like am I supposed to read this backwards, lol. I'm assuming its just a countdown to the last page or something. I know one thing, I could tell someone else I'm on page 289 and they'll be impressed I read that many pages. Little do they know it would actually be like page 1 :D

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
I was gonna ask that question.  I was like am I supposed to read this backwards, lol.  I'm assuming its just a countdown to the last page or something.  I know one thing, I could tell someone else I'm on page 289 and they'll be impressed I read that many pages.  Little do they know it would actually be like page 1  :D

This is how observant I am, I noticed in when I was on page 5 :unsure:

I recommended the Buzz Bissinger book for August, but I went to put it on hold at the library, and I came to the conclusion that we might wanna choose a different book.

Not only was I like 15th on the waiting list, but I think it's only available in hardback. That means like $20+ for you college kids out there. That's not chump change...

Should we change it?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
I recommended the Buzz Bissinger book for August, but I went to put it on hold at the library, and I came to the conclusion that we might wanna choose a different book.

Not only was I like 15th on the waiting list, but I think it's only available in hardback. That means like $20+ for you college kids out there. That's not chump change...

Should we change it?

Amazon only has the hardcover listed. How about we do that book when it comes out in paperback?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)

Should we change it?

I'd like to recommend I am Legend by Richard Matheson. I absolutely hated this genre (Gothic, Vampire, Horror) until I was forced to read this book. It is one of the top 10 books I've ever read. And can be finished in one long night.

I may or may not get in on this club, but just to add to the discussion...

If you guys are looking for a baseball related book for one of the months and the Bissinger one doesn't work out, i'm currently reading "Baseball and Philosophy"...edited by Eric Bronson (multiple authors).

I like it so far, and i think it's a good read for knowledgeable baseball fans. I don't know, some people may find it stupid, but i find some of the issues fascinating. Or hell, maybe i'm just way behind on reading and everyone has already read this one for all i know. Anyway, just a mention of a book from me.

• 3 weeks later...

All of the books on that page are good for reading to children at night. But don't do it word for word. You need to skim the details. You can add them as they grow older.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...120138?v=glance

Alice in Quantumland : An Allegory of Quantum Physics (Hardcover)

The Wizard of Quarks by Robert Gilmore today!

Scrooge's Cryptic Carol: Visions of Energy, Time, and Quantum Nature by Robert

Once Upon a Universe : Not-so-Grimm tales of Cosmology by Robert Gilmore

Flatterland: Like Flatland, Only More So by Ian Stewart

Flatland : A Romance of Many Dimensions (Dover Thrift Editions) by Edwin A. Abbott

The New World of Mr Tompkins by George Gamow