Soxtalk Book Club

LowerCaseRepublican

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
All of the books on that page are good for reading to children at night.  But don't do it word for word.  You need to skim the details.  You can add them as they grow older.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...120138?v=glance

Alice in Quantumland : An Allegory of Quantum Physics (Hardcover)

The Wizard of Quarks by Robert Gilmore today!

Scrooge's Cryptic Carol: Visions of Energy, Time, and Quantum Nature by Robert

Once Upon a Universe : Not-so-Grimm tales of Cosmology by Robert Gilmore

Flatterland: Like Flatland, Only More So by Ian Stewart

Flatland : A Romance of Many Dimensions (Dover Thrift Editions) by Edwin A. Abbott

The New World of Mr Tompkins by George Gamow

Man am I glad all my parents read me was "Good Night, Moon." Now THATs a book. :lol:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juggs is a funny guy... but not intentionally funny.

If you knew me in real life you would know it's intentional. I drip with sarcastic humor.

Put it another way, if you were all card carrying members of the Southern Baptists I would still be dripping with sarcasm. The fact that you are not just makes it easier :D

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
Man am I glad all my parents read me was "Good Night, Moon." Now THATs a book.  :lol:

At church camp I would read Kierkegaard and Nietzsche to the kids at bed time--they would be asleep in a flash. Highly recommended.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
I just picked up

"The Numbers Game" at walden today.  First time in a long while, i just randomly bought a book at the mall.

I'm excited to read it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

I really liked this book.... Lots of neat stuff that I didn't know about baseball's past, especially the root of statistics. Not really good material for a book club though I think.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Alrighty...who is picking the next book cuz I needs to be getting to the library & picking it up.

Cheat, Soxy, Spiff, Tex...somebody pick one & let's do this.  I know Cheat suggested a book but it was still in hardcover, so maybe he wants to choose another one instead?

What kinds of books do people like to Read? I'm assuming some of my favorites probably wouldn't be good fits here (Atwood, Christie, although for a murder mystery many of her books can't be topped), but if we were in a conspiracy kind of mood Ian Rankin's books are decent, quick fun reads. Or I also really enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime--funny, quirky.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
I really liked this book.... Lots of neat stuff that I didn't know about baseball's past, especially the root of statistics. Not really good material for a book club though I think.

i've read about half of it and agree with you.

It's really fascinating how the box score was developed. I really like how it focuses on the individuals who tried to "overthrow" old baseball w/ their big studies of probability and stuff.

But i agree, not book club material, just wanted to throw it out there for anyone interested. :)

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Or I also really enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime--funny, quirky.

That would be a great book for a 'club' --

The story teller is an autistic child, so the reading level is accessable, and the story is a very cute one.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
So I take it that we're gonna be reading the book Cheat picked ("The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Nighttime")?

Give us 3 weeks from today -- have a wrap up discussion starting like the 26th of August?  That work for everybody?

Sounds good--how does that fit with people's school schedules?

And I would also like to say I love this book club--but it's such a guy book club. We read a book, tell each other we read it, how good it was, and then move onto the next one without any like deep analysis or talking about bigger symbolism and issues. It's actually kind of adorable.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Sounds good--how does that fit with people's school schedules?

And I would also like to say I love this book club--but it's such a guy book club. We read a book, tell each other we read it, how good it was, and then move onto the next one without any like deep analysis or talking about bigger symbolism and issues. It's actually kind of adorable.

I had read survivor before, right around a year ago, and assumed it would all come back to me. -- But I couldn't remember s***. I guess I should have re-read it.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
I had read survivor before, right around a year ago, and assumed it would all come back to me. -- But I couldn't remember s***. I guess I should have re-read it.

Eh, it's just really funny to me. Completely different from a book discussion that I would have with my girl friends. Kinda refreshing and nice, actually.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
So I take it that we're gonna be reading the book Cheat picked ("The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Nighttime")?

Give us 3 weeks from today -- have a wrap up discussion starting like the 26th of August?  That work for everybody?

Done.

• 3 weeks later...