Should Frank bat 3rd?

The Ginger Kid

I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but should a guy hitting .218 be hitting 3rd in the lineup? Not in my opinion. With his ridiculous home run ratio he should be batting clean up. With the way Jermaine Dye is swinging the bat over the last month I think he's a much better choice. He hits more doubles and singles and can drive in runs. Frank hasn't been a #3 hitter in a long time, IMO.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but should a guy hitting .218 be hitting 3rd in the lineup? Not in my opinion. With his ridiculous home run ratio he should be batting clean up. With the way Jermaine Dye is swinging the bat over the last month I think he's a much better choice. He hits more doubles and singles and can drive in runs. Frank hasn't been a #3 hitter in a long time, IMO.

He's been scuffling lately, but I'm sure he'll get it together. Future HOFers don't stay down for long. Besides, they'll never move him down in the lineup. It'd probably be seen as disrespect.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Besides, they'll never move him down in the lineup.  It'd probably be seen as disrespect.

But what's more important: a happy Frank or giving the team its best chance to win? Even he admits that he's only 70%. I say once he hits his stride (assuming he will), then move him up. I think they're hurting themselves by batting him 3rd. It's too important.

He's been scuffling lately, but I'm sure he'll get it together.  Future HOFers don't stay down for long.  Besides, they'll never move him down in the lineup.  It'd probably be seen as disrespect.

And what if he's not a future HOF? Or if he qualifies for the HOF in a way other than Wolverine-like regeneration?

Thomas took forever to recover from his 2001 injury. In 2003, we saw that he could come back, and could come back with a bang (or several, actually), but he was just not Frank for about a year in that stretch. At this point, he's Adam Dunn with a million-times better eye, not Frank Thomas.

Frank's still getting back in the swing of things. He's a good type of guy to bat third, as opposed to Everett, or Konerko, or Dye for that matter. None of those guys generally get on base at a good clip and are more inconsistent. Rowand is solid, that's a decent option, although you'd like to see a little more power. I liked having Frank bat 4th or 5th when we had Lee and Maggs, but we obviously don't have those guys anymore.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
Frank's still getting back in the swing of things. He's a good type of guy to bat third, as opposed to Everett, or Konerko, or Dye for that matter. None of those guys generally get on base at a good clip and are more inconsistent. Rowand is solid, that's a decent option, although you'd like to see a little more power. I liked having Frank bat 4th or 5th when we had Lee and Maggs, but we obviously don't have those guys anymore.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. :gosox4:

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)
I love this little list. It also amuses me how you have been posting it alot and people just pass it up.

So much can go into that. Teams played, rotation, home/way, etc. Without a little more research it is, on the surface, very interesting, and for Frank's fans, something really cool.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
Disagree, it's an RBI slot. Besides, his OBP is .328. Dye's is .323

If the 3 hole is an RBI slot you want Frank there over anyone else on the team. He's getting an RBI in a little more than every 4 at bats. Only Everett is close in that respect. Frank has an OPS of 1.001 right now. He's getting on base enough that the way he's hitting for power I can't complain with him at the 3. He's not hitting badly enough where he's hurting the team (hurting the team with an OPS over 1?!) and he gets the most out of working through his troubles this way.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
If the 3 hole is an RBI slot you want Frank there over anyone else on the team. He's getting an RBI in a little more than every 4 at bats. Only Everett is close in that respect. Frank has an OPS of 1.001 right now. He's getting on base enough that the way he's hitting for power I can't complain with him at the 3. He's not hitting badly enough where he's hurting the team (hurting the team with an OPS over 1?!) and he gets the most out of working through his troubles this way.

Bingo, also Frank will hit much better then this I'll gurantee you that. By the time this season is all set and done he'll be hitting .260-.270 with an obp probably right around or over .400. Frank imo is still the best hitter we have.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
So much can go into that. Teams played, rotation, home/way, etc. Without a little more research it is, on the surface, very interesting, and for Frank's fans, something really cool.

There's definitely a lot that goes into it but Frank makes the lineup so much better when he's in there and that's most likely the reason that record is so damn good. If we're talking about lineup changes Dye or Carl should be batting cleanup not Pauly but that's jmo.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)

He's hitting .246 now. I have no problem with him hitting in the 3 slot. Pitchers are afraid of him. If they dont crap their pants and throw him a meatball on accident he's still lible to reach out and nail one that other hitters couldn't touch. Either that or they'll walk him for not wanting to deal with him in the first place. Frank is playing like he thinks it's 2000 or 1993/1994 again and I'm loving every second of it.

:gosox4: :gosoxretro: :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3:

To me, the #3 slot is for the best hitter on the team. Not the best hitter for this particular 2-week stretch of games, but the best hitter, period. There is no one in this lineup who is even close to the hitter Frank Thomas is, even at 36 years of age. Not Dye, definitely not Rowand and not even Carl. Frank still strikes fear into the hearts of pitchers, and he's still the guy I want up after Podsednick walks and Iguchi moves him over with one out.

Not only that, but Frank should be in the lineup every day. Not on the bench against tough righties. I love what Carl has done this year and I like that Ozzie has rotated him the OF. I think he should do more of that and make absolutely sure that Frank never sits on the bench as long as he's healthy.

Just my two cents.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
He's hitting .246 now.  I have no problem with him hitting in the 3 slot.  Pitchers are afraid of him.  If they dont crap their pants and throw him a meatball on accident he's still lible to reach out and nail one that other hitters couldn't touch.  Either that or they'll walk him for not wanting to deal with him in the first place.  Frank is playing like he thinks it's 2000 or 1993/1994 again and I'm loving every second of it.

:gosox4:  :gosoxretro:  :gosox1:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:

I think you mean he's hitting home runs like it's 1993/1994/2000 again, because he sure as hell ain't hitting a lot besides it.