NBA Trade Value List

NBA Trade Value List

Bill Simmons does this list every year, where he basically ranks what he believes the trade value is of the top players in the NBA. I find it somewhat interesting. Comments? Who's your top 5 or 10?

I generally agree with him. My top 5 is the same, although I'm not sure I'd put them in the same order. I also think I'd rather have Elton Brand than guys like Hamilton (good shooter but disappears at times, doesn't always seem to create his own shots) and Wallace (great defender, but little to no offense. I'd have him in the top 10 if he could shoot or had some post moves), but that's a personal preferance. I also think that based on what he has accomplished so far Yao is too high, but I guess Houston wouldn't trade him, which is the point of the list.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO;

In a related story, you can download John Weisbrod's resume as a PDF file at the end of this column.

Igoudala ahead of Gordon? That's going to piss off a lot of Bulls fans, but he's right on the money with that one. Wouldn't have Mr. Jefferson ahead of him though.

Zach Randolph shouldn't be in the top 50. Amazing how high Joe Johnson's stock is after 1 season to have him ahead of AI and Gasol.

But seriously though, if you were Orlando's GM, would you trade Dwight Howard for anybody? Wade, Stoudemire and Duncan excluded.

10. Dwight Howard – The man-child. For everyone wondering where the great centers have gone, just wait until you see this guy in three years. Remember, everyone thought Young Moses Malone was a power forward in the mid-70's. Things change.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
LMAO;

Igoudala ahead of Gordon? That's going to piss off a lot of Bulls fans, but he's right on the money with that one. Wouldn't have Mr. Jefferson ahead of him though.

Zach Randolph shouldn't be in the top 50. Amazing how high Joe Johnson's stock is after 1 season to have him ahead of AI and Gasol.

But seriously though, if you were Orlando's GM, would you trade Dwight Howard for anybody? Wade, Stoudemire and Duncan excluded.

Probably not. He's really cheap for the next three years, and is going to be a beast once he gets his offense going. He might be pretty close to Amare in a few years. I think 3 of the bottom 4 are interchangeable, it's really hard to tell if Gordon, Iguodala, or Jefferson will be the best player in a few years. And yeah, that McGrady deal looks really bad, especially after dealing Mobley for Christie.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Igoudala ahead of Gordon? That's going to piss off a lot of Bulls fans

No it won't - Iggy>Gordon. Thing is say the Bulls have Iggy last year instead of Gordon they have a less wins. Who would have done the scoring?

I would probably flip Hinrich and Iggy though.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
Probably not. He's really cheap for the next three years, and is going to be a beast once he gets his offense going. He might be pretty close to Amare in a few years. I think 3 of the bottom 4 are interchangeable, it's really hard to tell if Gordon, Iguodala, or Jefferson will be the best player in a few years. And yeah, that McGrady deal looks really bad, especially after dealing Mobley for Christie.

Steve Francis is an idiot, still holding out hope that he can be traded, but it's not likely. The Magic are going to sign one of Mario Jaric, Earl Watson or Antonio Daniels to be the new starting PG to move Francis to SG.

And I think long - term Dwight is going to be a better defender and rebounder than Stoudemire, but that's JMHO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
Steve Francis is an idiot, still holding out hope that he can be traded, but it's not likely. The Magic are going to sign one of Mario Jaric, Earl Watson or Antonio Daniels to be the new starting PG to move Francis to SG.

And I think long - term Dwight is going to be a better defender and rebounder than Stoudemire, but that's JMHO.

Chad Ford thinks the Bulls will also puruse Jaric, who I would love. 6'7" at the point. :)

Ford lists Jaric, Watson, Daniels, SAR, Haslem, and James as targets for the Magic.

SAR, Yell, Haslem, Simmons, Jaric, Kukoc for the Bulls

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
Chad Ford thinks the Bulls will also puruse Jaric, who I would love.  6'7" at the point. :)

Ford lists Jaric, Watson, Daniels, SAR, Haslem, and James as targets for the Magic.

If they sign Jerome James or Robert "Tractor" Traylor with the mid level exception I will :puke.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
Chad Ford thinks the Bulls will also puruse Jaric, who I would love.  6'7" at the point. :)

I just read that article too (would link, but it's insider). Simmons would be cool, although he'll probably be out of our price range. Marshall coming back would definitely be high on my list, and getting a big PG in Jaric would work too. It sounds like we might get some serious sign-and-trade action for Curry, which could make things interesting.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
I just read that article too (would link, but it's insider). Simmons would be cool, although he'll probably be out of our price range. Marshall coming back would definitely be high on my list, and getting a big PG in Jaric would work too. It sounds like we might get some serious sign-and-trade action for Curry, which could make things interesting.

I'd absolutely love to have Donyell back, Simmons as you said would be great but pricey. Kukoc is meh to me.

The Curry situation will be interesting for sure but I truly believe he will be back next year. Just the impression I get from Pax and kind of a hunch.

Ok Curry Bashers. I will post this only cause I already know you guys will.

Eddy Curry – Knocked off only because of the irregular heartbeat fiasco. And you might think I'm making a "well, the good thing is, at least we finally know he has a heart" joke, but Curry was downright unstoppable at times last season. And I never thought I would use the words "Eddy Curry" and "unstoppable" unless a buffet table was involved.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
Ok Curry Bashers. I will post this only cause I already know you guys will.

While I thought that was a good line, Curry is a solid post scorer. That's about the limit of his skills though. He's good when paired with a rebounder/shot blocker like Chandler. If he draws as much interest as people think, some team is going to realize that he needs a complementary player in the post. One of the potential sign-and-trades was Gooden for Curry. Not sure if I like that or not.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
While I thought that was a good line, Curry is a solid post scorer. That's about the limit of his skills though. He's good when paired with a rebounder/shot blocker like Chandler. If he draws as much interest as people think, some team is going to realize that he needs a complementary player in the post. One of the potential sign-and-trades was Gooden for Curry. Not sure if I like that or not.

I do not do gooden for Curry. No way in hell.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
everyone was down on Jermaine Oneal his first few years.  Lets just say Eddy has A LOT more potential.

That's true but think of the rebounding prescence of Chandler and Gooden combined.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
That's true but think of the rebounding prescence of Chandler and Gooden combined.

I just think we can get a little more for eddy. I'm not bashing gooden by any stretch. To be honest I don't think curry will receive a max offer. If he doesn't get near the max then we should keep him.

Interesting fact, Gooden is only a year older than Curry. I'm not so sure about Curry's "potential." Unless we can get the NBA to let us have a coach follow him around the court with a cattle prod to get him to rebound and defend, I don't know if he'll ever be more than a scorer. As Hammerhead has said, I could put together a decent sized list of guards and small forwards that outrebound Curry.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
I just think we can get a little more for eddy. I'm not bashing gooden by any stretch. To be honest I don't think curry will receive a max offer. If he doesn't get near the max then we should keep him.

I'm willing to bet that Curry gets close to or equal to the max. So much need for bigs in the league, teams like ATL might go nuts for one of Ty/Eddy

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
I'm willing to bet that Curry gets close to or equal to the max.  So much need for bigs in the league, teams like ATL might go nuts for one of Ty/Eddy

If we could trade one and keep one , that would probably be the best scenerio.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
Eddy Curry in a sign and trade for Sam Dalembert and Kyle Korver. Would you do it?

Sounds good to me. Dalembert and Chandler would let us own the paint, and Korver provides a shooter. Dalembert would have to be signed first as well as Curry, and I don't think Philly wants to fascilitate Dalembert's departure.

By the way, maybe we should just turn this into a FA thread?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
Eddy Curry in a sign and trade for Sam Dalembert and Kyle Korver. Would you do it?

-Do that

-Resign Tyson

-Sign Donyell

-Resign Duhon

-Resign Pargo

-Resign Othella

Hinrich/Duhon/Pargo

Gordon/Korver/Basden

Deng/Nocioni/Basden

Dalembert/Marshall

Chandler/Davis

That could dominate the interior.