Greatest Concert Ever

Texsox

Is Live 8 the Greatest Concert Ever?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is Live 8 the Greatest Concert Ever?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yawn
    • Not Without Alcohol

The Who

Won't get fooled again

Baba O'Riley

Pink Floyd

Money

Comfortly Numb

Wish you were here

Paul McCartney

the Long and winding road

Finale App: 20:45 GMT

Do they know is it christmas

All artists who can stay till end, and also some other surprise guests

I love it when they play their A sides.

Looking at the list everyone can be satisfied by at least a few of the bands. That's what impressed me about it. I don't care for the Beatles or Elton John or Annie Lennox. Meanwhile, The Who, Pink Floyd, Coldplay, heck even the Killers are there that I like among others. If I was to make a list of a dozen bands for my all time concert most of those wouldn't be there, but a few of them would.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
Will this event be re televised?  When and what station?

If you want to see any of the individual acts/performances, they're now all available at aolmusic.com. On demand, each song, etc. I just watched the Floyd performance. So nice to not have MTV interrupting Comfortably Numb for precious VJ Prattle.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
I think it's terrible that they couldn't give any money to the people in Africa. Any little amount could have helped.

There's a very good reason for why they decided to do it this way...as a lobbying event, rather than as a fundraiser as was done with Live Aid in the 80's.

Live Aid raised money on the order of $250 million as a fundraiser.

That money is chewed up by the debts held by African countries in a matter of a few DAYS. In other words...yeah they could have done it as a fundraiser, but even if they dumped a full billion dollars of aid into that nation, it'd be merely a drop in the bucket, but if they can convince the G8 nations to begin offering genuine African Debt relieft, they can have an impact literally 1000's of times greater.

They don't even have to convince them to drop all the debt; even if a small portion is just knocked off because of this publicity, then it will be like giving $100's of millions of dollars to Africa per year, every year. If the campaign came fully to fruition, it would be like generating billions of dollars of aid PER YEAR.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
There's a very good reason for why they decided to do it this way...as a lobbying event, rather than as a fundraiser as was done with Live Aid in the 80's.

Live Aid raised money on the order of $250 million as a fundraiser.

That money is chewed up by the debts held by African countries in a matter of a few DAYS.  In other words...yeah they could have done it as a fundraiser, but even if they dumped a full billion dollars of aid into that nation, it'd be merely a drop in the bucket, but if they can convince the G8 nations to begin offering genuine African Debt relieft, they can have an impact literally 1000's of times greater.

They don't even have to convince them to drop all the debt; even if a small portion is just knocked off because of this publicity, then it will be like giving $100's of millions of dollars to Africa per year, every year.  If the campaign came fully to fruition, it would be like generating billions of dollars of aid PER YEAR.

Your math is off a bit, although your heart is in the right place. Not literally 1000s of times greater. 1 bil*1000=1 tril, which would completely pay off the debt of all African nations, I'm almost certain. (The most extreme numbers I could find didn't exceed $500 billion.) And $100 mil per year, every year, isn't very much. In present value terms, that's worth about $2.5 bil, which is roughly the debt servicing per year for Africa. Paying the interest for a year isn't so hot. The G8 already agreed to $40 bil in debt relief, I think. I bet you see some moderate increase in that, but not cancellation. And of course it's just words at this point.

Which doesn't bother me so much. Aid to Africa should be increased quite a bit, but personally, I don't think debt relief is the best way to deliver it. Jmho.